Does number of cabins unsold help determine price drop?

mnjcruiser

I will be cruising on the Breakaway on May 25th. Booked an inside cabin for 3. I have been watching prices for the balcony cabins in hopes to pay for an upgrade once it's within my budget. There was a small decrease in price yesterday to $649. Because I booked Kids sail free, I will be giving up the promotion and will have to pay for the third person in addition to the upgrade.

My question is, what are the changes the prices may drop further? May 18th sailing is down to $549 p.p.

I checked one of the big travel websites and see that are still 15 mid ship balcony cabins, 15 family balcony cabins and several in aft and front of the ship. Based on this, is there a good chance the prices will drop further for my sailing?

If I don't get a balcony, I will still be happy with my cabin choice.

Edited by mnjcruiser

If after final payment usually NCL will give an upgrade only. The price drop may only be a percentage of the difference. Cruise lines are under no obligation to grant a price drop. I pay what I pay and don't look for price drops. Any of the cruises I have sailed actually increased.

I checked one of the big travel websites and see that are still 15 mid ship balcony cabins, 15 family balcony cabins and several in aft and front of the ship.

15 cabins in any category is the max number of free cabins shown so that usually suggests that even more are available.

Edited by Demonyte

I am on the same sailing as you and booked kids sail free. Please call Ncl or have your ta call asap. With the right rep, you can upgrade for the difference of the first two passengers only and still keep ksf. My ta was unsuccessful at first but he was persistent and eventually got us an upgrade and we still kept the ksf. Losing kids sail free is not worth it to upgrade imho. We are so close to sailing now, giving you a better room should be easier. Btw, my friend in a studio was upgraded to balcony when the single supplement was waived and kept all her obc and other promos not offered at time of upgrade at no charge.

Just don't act entitled and keep trying for the right rep.

Good luck!

Edited by SJ

Thanks SJ, I will try again. I have called a few times and was told I lose the promotion. Hopefully, I'll get someone who is willing help tomorrow. Doesn't make sense that I have to lose the promotion, especially since I'm paying for the upgrade and I'm not asking for any current promotions available.

Doesn't make sense that I have to lose the promotion, especially since I'm paying for the upgrade and I'm not asking for any current promotions available.

Yes it does since the total price you have now is a result from promotion that is not offered anymore - you can not separate half of the people in the cabin and just upgrade them while not upgrading those affected by the promotion. Upgrades are usually (I'd like to say always, but based on SJ's post apparently there is a small change one can found a rep willing to bend the rules) done by comparing the total amount already paid and the total price a new booking now would have to pay. In other words, normally you can't have the cake and eat it too. ;)

Hopefully you can get your way but I wouldn't count on it, people you have been talking at NCL have been just following the normal procedure.

Yes it does since the total price you have now is a result from promotion that is not offered anymore - you can not separate half of the people in the cabin and just upgrade them while not upgrading those affected by the promotion. Upgrades are usually (I'd like to say always, but based on SJ's post apparently there is a small change one can found a rep willing to bend the rules) done by comparing the total amount already paid and the total price a new booking now would have to pay. In other words, normally you can't have the cake and eat it too. ;)

Hopefully you can get your way but I wouldn't count on it, people you have been talking at NCL have been just following the normal procedure.

Makes sense, I guess. It surprises me that some people are able to keep the previous promotion and other are not. I have read similar stories on this board. Either way, if I'm comfortable with the price, I'll upgrade. If not, I'm happy with my choice.

Edited by mnjcruiser