Wheelchair on Breakaway?

garnet115

My parents are thinking about booking Breakaway to Bermuda in August for a family vacation. My father has serious mobility issues and generally uses a wheelchair or walker.

Any CCers with this type of limitation been on the ship and able to give advice? I have sailed Breakaway before and told my parents that I didn't think it was a good choice for them due to layout and crowds, but they seem set on booking. Any thoughts or useful info that I can pass along?

No experience with the Breakaway but have sailed solo on the Allure of the Seas which is larger. I have MS and use a rollator but rent a mobility scooter when cruising to better manage the large ship. Had absolutely no problems with crowds because of the vast size of this ship.

If your father is comfortable using and operating a mobility scooter than

this is something to be considered for the cruise. NCL has only one approved rental vendor which is http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

No experience with the Breakaway but have sailed solo on the Allure of the Seas which is larger. I have MS and use a rollator but rent a mobility scooter when cruising to better manage the large ship. Had absolutely no problems with crowds because of the vast size of this ship.

If your father is comfortable using and operating a mobility scooter than

this is something to be considered for the cruise. NCL has only one approved rental vendor which is www.Specialneedsatsea.com

Thanks. I don't recall him ever using a scooter. Do you think it would be difficult for him to operate?

Thanks. I don't recall him ever using a scooter. Do you think it would be difficult for him to operate?

Given that I don't know your father can't really tell you. Has he ever driven a mobility scooter at the grocery store, Target, Wal-Mart or other mass merchant ? Though the type of scooter used in those facility are much larger the basic principle of operation is still the same. So if he has never used one at the stores mentioned than suggest you take him and see how he manages using one at the store. If he can handle the larger ones than the ones rented for cruise ships should be OK. However note that he should book an accessible cabin as he will have little to no problem driving it in and out of the cabin. A standard cabin will be little harder for him to manage using a scooter.

Given that I don't know your father can't really tell you. Has he ever driven a mobility scooter at the grocery store, Target, Wal-Mart or other mass merchant ? Though the type of scooter used in those facility are much larger the basic principle of operation is still the same. So if he has never used one at the stores mentioned than suggest you take him and see how he manages using one at the store. If he can handle the larger ones than the ones rented for cruise ships should be OK. However note that he should book an accessible cabin as he will have little to no problem driving it in and out of the cabin. A standard cabin will be little harder for him to manage using a scooter.

Thanks for the information. I don't think he's ever used a scooter at the stores. He tends to either use his walker or wait in the car in those situations. I will absolutely recommend that he give it a try. My parents will only go if they can get an accessible cabin. A few years ago a travel agent talked them into taking a jr suite when an accessible cabin was unavailable and it did not work well at all. Lesson learned...

I cruised on the sister ship the "Getaway" and had cabin #10890 which was fully handicapped accessible and had no problems. I used a mobility scooter and would also suggest renting one if your father could operate it. Let me know if you have any questions about the ship.

Calypso