White Pass Railway Question

trvlcarib

We were on the train last May. We did not need to use an accessible bathroom. If they have one it will be tight for two people. The lift just made his manual chair, his power chair would not have fit. The elevator is also very narrow and just about made it with my son, his chair ,and husband. My son is a quad so it is necessary to have so some help him. I would just contact the railway and ask about the bathroom and any other concerns,everyone there were very willing to help and make sure my son had a good time. It was well worth the ride. Word of cAution, we were unable to get a wheelchair accessible cab at 6 am to get to the early train, in anchorage. In anchorage the cabbies are independent operators with the cab companies and no one started till 8. it may not be that way in other cities but if are in Anchorage andyou have a person who is unable to transfer out of a chair to get into a cab, have plan B ready. That was our most trying part of the whole vacation, anchorage hotel to train. Everything else was a piece of cake.

jarvb, the OP is asking about the White Horse Pass railway (in Skagway), not the train from Anchorage to Whittier.

The White Horse Pass train comes right onto the pier. Purchase your tickets through the cruise line to be able to board here; otherwise you have to board at the station in town. The lift is fine, and there is an ADA compliant restroom in the wheelchair accessible car. It is not tiny.

Edited by Splinter