Kilmainham Gaol and Guinness Storehouse in one day?

FEMH

Planning on using the HOHO Bus in Dublin and visiting these two sites? Is this doable in one day, given the fact that the ship sails at 6, or have I bitten off too much? Thanks. Does anyone know what the lines are like on a Saturday in June?

Hi,

At what time does your ship berth in Dublin? The Guinness Storehouse opens at 09.30 and two hours should be ample to tour the building and enjoy your pint in the Gravity bar. After leaving the Storehouse, the HoHo buses go to Kilmainham Gaol and this is where there could be a lengthy queue on a Saturday in June.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/kilmainhamgaol/

However, if the delay at Kilmainham is too long, just hop on the next HoHo bus and continue the Dublin tour.

Dermot

What you might consider would be to go to the Gaol first and get your tickets, which will have an entrance time on it. If there is a long wait until your tour, go on the Guinness - do the tour and get your pint, then return to the Gaol and take the tour. It is definitely doable.

Cole

What you might consider would be to go to the Gaol first and get your tickets, which will have an entrance time on it. If there is a long wait until your tour, go on the Guinness - do the tour and get your pint, then return to the Gaol and take the tour. It is definitely doable.

Cole

Thanks for the quick responses all. I was thinking about stopping at the gaol first, getting the ticket or even completing the tour if the wait isn't so bad, then backtracking to Guinness. I'm buying my Guinness tickets online before I leave home. I understand I can skip the queue and walk right in if I do this. Can anyone confirm?

What is the best way to get from the gaol back to Guinness. It is the wrong direction for the HOHO bus. Is a cab the best way? Is it walkable?

Thanks for the quick responses all. I was thinking about stopping at the gaol first, getting the ticket or even completing the tour if the wait isn't so bad, then backtracking to Guinness. I'm buying my Guinness tickets online before I leave home. I understand I can skip the queue and walk right in if I do this. Can anyone confirm?

What is the best way to get from the gaol back to Guinness. It is the wrong direction for the HOHO bus. Is a cab the best way? Is it walkable?

The list of stops indicates that Guinness is 2 stops before the Gaol. Not sure if it is walkable, but a cab ride is always an option. And yes, if you have already purchased your ticket, you can skip the queue. Just be sure to look for the sign that indicates it is for pre-purchased ticket holders.

Cole

You can continue on the HoHo bus and get off at the next stop, stop 16, at Heuston railway station. From there it is a 10 minute walk to the Storehouse. Cross the road at Heuston station and follow the tram tracks up to James's Street.

It will take you 20/25 minutes to walk to the Storehouse from the gaol. The scenic route is to walk through the attractive grounds of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, home of the Irish Museum of Modern Art and the finest seventeenth-century building in Dublin, and then bear right up Bow Lane West to James's Street. The Royal Hospital has a fine formal garden, so you might be tempted to linger. If the weather is clement, this would be my choice. Have a look at Google Maps for details of the route.

If you want to take a Dublin bus from the gaol, then walk 200 yards to Emmet Road and get a number 13 or 40 bus heading into the city. The bus fare will be about €2.

There are normally taxis available outside the Hilton Kilmainham hotel which is just across the road from the gaol. The taxi fare should be about €10.

Thanks for the good information. I'll check out the route on google maps. Can't wait to visit Dublin!

You will love it. And the Dubliners are some of the most friendly and gracious people we have ever met! :D

Cole