Deluxe vs STND room on Viking

MariettaWay

We have been cruising for quite a few years on larger cruise ships, so we thought that it was about time to take a river cruise. However, I have a question about the different types of rooms on Viking ships.

I called Viking about the 8-day 2015 Paris & the heart of Normandy trip. Sounds like a wonderful trip. The Viking agent was pushing the Deluxe room over the Standard room but the Deluxe room was $610 per person higher ($1,220 for two) than the Standard room. Yes, the Deluxe had a window and the the room was larger. The part that concerned me that we were told that the Standard only had a pull-out bed and was very uncomfortable.

My question is: Has anyone ever booked the Standard room? Did it really have a pull-out bed and was it really that uncomfortable? It's a little hard to believe that a cruise line would have a substandard mattress in any of the rooms.

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

I have been on four Viking cruises in different types of cabins. You are mainly only in your cabin to sleep so the lower cabins are fine.

I have never seen a pull out bed on Viking.

Which ship are you going on?

Go on to Vikings website and see the cabins for the ship you will be on.

Thank you for your suggestion travelfirst. The Viking ship would be the Viking Pride. I'll check out the website to see what the cabins are like. I was wondering if the agent was giving me a tall story about the pull-out beds in the standard cabin.

We were on the Pride in a standard cabin December 2012. It was fine. The drop down bed was set up the whole time. So 2 single beds, but they cannot be pushed together. We had two suitcases and one of them did not fit in the closet or under the bed. Was a little tight but not unbearable. The cabin service was great and other than we had a standard cabin we were treated the same. Bathroom same size as others with same amenities. We like to river cruise and save money. For us, lower cabins make no difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thank you all for your comments. Me too, I like the less expensive rooms so I can cruise more often. Make me feel better about trying out one of the standard rooms. We'd like to get a feel what Viking is like. It sounds like whatever room we pick, it'll be a good choice.

Thank you for the referral 'Carol From California'. I see that you've been on some great cruises lately. We've been long time cruisers but we've just started traveling much to Europe. We have lots to look forward to.