Barbados Car Rental

LonW

Anyone know which car rental company has an office,(location), at the port or that delivers to the cruise ships. Cruise line, ship and date below. Do you know there web address?

Thanks,

Lon

I used Drive-A-Matic in January 05. They had my car waiting for me at the cruise terminal on a Sunday morning and that was also the drop-off.

http://www.funbarbados.com/CarRentals/driveamatic.CFM

I rented a manual transmission Samurai convertible. Even in January, the sun was too strong for the top down. And while I could manage driving on the left hand side of the road (my only forgetfullness occurring when I turned at stop signs), my biggest problem was shifting with my left hand. My recommendation would be to get an automatic with AC.

And, Barbadean roads are the worst roads I have ever driven. Narrow, bumpy and very poorly signed, I drove from the port to Bathsheba (and back)...don't ask me how I did it....I just did. Would I do it again...YOU BETCHA!

It was good to hear from someone who's done this recently Nitnyleo.

We too are planning to hire a car as opposed to doing a tour, but are rather concerned about getting lost etc and missing the boat! We have driven in Barbados before, but it was a long time ago.

Lon, other guys to look at for prices etc are Stoutes Car Rental (they have an office at the port, or so he tells me) and Chelsea Motors.

I have contacted them both for prices and with questions and both replied promptly. Both prices were similar.

Remember you will also need to pay for CWD, a driving permit, tax and petrol, at least.

Driving on the left will be no problem for us ;)

It was good to hear from someone who's done this recently Nitnyleo.

We too are planning to hire a car as opposed to doing a tour, but are rather concerned about getting lost etc and missing the boat! We have driven in Barbados before, but it was a long time ago.

Lon, other guys to look at for prices etc are Stoutes Car Rental (they have an office at the port, or so he tells me) and Chelsea Motors.

I have contacted them both for prices and with questions and both replied promptly. Both prices were similar.

Remember you will also need to pay for CWD, a driving permit, tax and petrol, at least.

Driving on the left will be no problem for us ;)

Thanks everyone, I have a car reserved from Stoutes Car Rental. Price was a lot better than Drive-A-Matic.

SqueakyDust check out car rental insurance through www.travelguard.com a lot less without any deductible.

I checked out the Travel Guard site, and, to my surprise Travel Guard does seem to offer adequate protection....

BUT...if your car does suffer damage, be prepared for your credit card to be hit for the cost of repairs. While you may be able to get your funds credited back eventually; you may be without any credit on the card that you supplied them for the rest of your cruise/trip.

ALSO, Travel Guard has a proviso that you must abide by the terms of the contract....are you prepared to read (and comprehend) the boilerplate that is part of the rental agreement?

I think it is easier to give them the couple extra bucks and not have to worry about it. (While I cannot say that it is a practice in Barbados, it is a common practice for "vandals" to damage rental cars so that the rental company can get the insurance money.)

When I rented my car, the agent said to return the car with as little gas in the tank as possible. Obviously, this was contrary to eveything I've been told.

I returned the car with 1/4 tank and was not charged for a fill-up....I don't get it.

When I rented my car, the agent said to return the car with as little gas in the tank as possible. Obviously, this was contrary to eveything I've been told.

I returned the car with 1/4 tank and was not charged for a fill-up....I don't get it.

I noticed that, kind of strange way of doing it.

I checked out the Travel Guard site, and, to my surprise Travel Guard does seem to offer adequate protection....

BUT...if your car does suffer damage, be prepared for your credit card to be hit for the cost of repairs. While you may be able to get your funds credited back eventually; you may be without any credit on the card that you supplied them for the rest of your cruise/trip.

ALSO, Travel Guard has a proviso that you must abide by the terms of the contract....are you prepared to read (and comprehend) the boilerplate that is part of the rental agreement?

I think it is easier to give them the couple extra bucks and not have to worry about it. (While I cannot say that it is a practice in Barbados, it is a common practice for "vandals" to damage rental cars so that the rental company can get the insurance money.)

Not just a couple extra buck, it is double and for less coverage, deductables of $1000.00 and up. Less coverage for for more money? As far as the "boilerplate" that is part of the rental agreement goes, you still have that even if you take the rental car company's insurance. Check it out sometime, I don't know of any insurance company that does not have something like this. They all have "proviso that you must abide by the terms of the contract." Most of the car rental companys have the provision were your credit card may be hit for the cost of repairs until claim has been settled.

Do you think that you are running the game...

OR

Do you think that the car rental company is running the game....

I tend to think that the car rental company is running the game. And, considering the total cost of a cruise, it is "chump change" to give the rental company what they want and provide me with peace of mind.

Archived