Snorkelling - Nassau, St Thomas, or St. Maarten

My DH and I did that snorkeling tour about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. The only recommendation I have is make sure you have a lot of sunscreen! We did not reapply enough and were burnt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on Oasis Eastern May 31. I was considering the Rainbow Reef Snorkel tour at Nassau. I'd appreciate your comments. Which port is best for snorkeling?

The Rainbow Reef Tour has the best snorkeling on any excursion we have taken anywhere in the Caribbean. The boat ride is just okay. The Champagne Cat tour also has very good snorkeling and is a great boat ride. Either of these two trips is a good choice. St Maarten isn't very good.

Edited by dz9yvr

St Thomas is one of the best sites we have been to

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you do an excursion through the cruise-line or on your own? Do you know the name of the company for the snorkeling?

Thank you

The Rainbow Reef Tour has the best snorkeling on any excursion we have taken anywhere in the Caribbean. The boat ride is just okay. The Champagne Cat tour also has very good snorkeling and is a great boat ride. Either of these two trips is a good choice. St Maarten isn't very good.

Hi. I didn't see the champagne tour in Nassau. Is the tour in St. Thomas and called St. John Half Day Champagne Cat Sail Beach & Snorkel? I also see

All Inclusive St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel.

Thank you

Sue

You mentioned which -- Nassau, St. Thomas, St Maarten

The best to us has always been St. Thomas and going to St. John from there to snorkel! :)

LuLu

Hi LuLu - I was looking thru excursions with RCCL and see these 2 for St. Thomas going to St. John - St. John Half Day Champagne Cat Sail Beach & Snorkel and All Inclusive St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel.

Did you do either one of these? Or through private company?

Thank you

Sue

You mentioned which -- Nassau, St. Thomas, St Maarten

The best to us has always been St. Thomas and going to St. John from there to snorkel! :)

LuLu

I love St. John and agree with Lulu, book a St. John excursion and snorkel at Trunk Bay. (google it). There is much discussion on the St. Thomas/St. John Ports of Call forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133.

We always go to Coki in St Thomas. Modern changing rooms and bathrooms. Good snorkeling right off shore to the right. Great snorkeling all the way to the left, but you have so swim out a bit. Go early if lots of other ships in port.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Hi LuLu - I was looking thru excursions with RCCL and see these 2 for St. Thomas going to St. John - St. John Half Day Champagne Cat Sail Beach & Snorkel and All Inclusive St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel.

Did you do either one of these? Or through private company?

Thank you

Sue

Hi Sue! We have taken both of these thru the cruise line.

As jmf123 said, going to Trunk Bay to snorkel is great. There's an underwater snorkel trail that's fun and interesting. "Fish Bowl" clear water with lots of colorful fish and an extremely pretty beach. Worth going for sure! :)

Have to admit, we always enjoy the Champagne Cat Sail just a bit more. It's a lovely sail with a beautiful snorkel stop at a beautiful beach area in St. John. Some just stay on the cat and relax. We like knowing we don't have to make a decision on what sort of activity we want to on the cat in advance and can do whatever we wish that day. This is a popular one that does not disappoint. Open bar on the return trip! :D

LuLu

I loved the rainbow reef excursion in Nassau. I read other folks had problems with rough waters and overcrowding on the reef due to too many boats there, but when I went last November I did not

experience either of those problems.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Hi - Would it be too much of the same thing to do both tours? If we only doing one then I'm thinking about Champagne Cat tour because I have read quite a few good reviews. Would you recommend anything else in Nassau? I was considering just walking around for a little time and then just staying on the ship. Thanks for your help.

Hi Sue! We have taken both of these thru the cruise line.

As jmf123 said, going to Trunk Bay to snorkel is great. There's an underwater snorkel trail that's fun and interesting. "Fish Bowl" clear water with lots of colorful fish and an extremely pretty beach. Worth going for sure! :)

Have to admit, we always enjoy the Champagne Cat Sail just a bit more. It's a lovely sail with a beautiful snorkel stop at a beautiful beach area in St. John. Some just stay on the cat and relax. We like knowing we don't have to make a decision on what sort of activity we want to on the cat in advance and can do whatever we wish that day. This is a popular one that does not disappoint. Open bar on the return trip! :D

LuLu

Hi LuLu - For the Champagne Cat Sail do you snorkel right off boat or do you have to go to shore for some reason. If given the option to swim to shore do the people have on life jackets? Was the boat crowed? Thank you for helping me with all these questions.

Hi LuLu - For the Champagne Cat Sail do you snorkel right off boat or do you have to go to shore for some reason. If given the option to swim to shore do the people have on life jackets? Was the boat crowed? Thank you for helping me with all these questions.

Once to a cove in St. John, the cat anchors. They point out the best area to snorkel. A crew member swims over to that area in case anyone has a problem while snorkeling.

People only wanting to go directly to the beach can swim or they will take you by dinghy. The dinghy goes back and forth constantly so people can return to the cat whenever they please.

Some people just like to swim around close to the cat a little while and then relax on the cat. Some people don't get off at all.

Life jackets are required for any going into the water.

It's never been crowded when we've taken this excursion.

LuLu