Panama and Cuba

Morning, does anyone know what vaccinations you need for this cruise. I know we are only ashore for a short time but is there anything we need.

Thanks

Not sure about the Panama bit but we didn't have any for Havana. We have in the past had the ones they will give you routinely at your surgery (free - Tetanus/Diptheria/Polio combined one also Hep A, Typhoid). It's a good idea to get the boosters for those if you've not had any for a long time wherever you are travelling. We told them we wanted advice at our surgery and the nurse looked up where we were travelling to and then arranged for us to have the appropriate ones. We sought advice on malaria tablets and decided to pass on those.

It's important to use 50% Deet though especially if you are going into the interior or swampy areas but generally cruise ships which are usually out at sea at night when the mozzies are most active aren't considered to be high risk. I should say some of the Caribbean beaches have sand flies which can be quite vicious as we found out when we just sat on towels on the beach. We always have loungers now - and use the Deet! :D

You can get the official info on the nhs site:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1072.aspx?CategoryID=67

but the dilemma is on advice which is something like 'recommended' or 'advisable' as opposed to compulsory as it's down to the individual and it's sometimes hard to know how cautious to be!

Havana is one of our favourite ports of call - enjoy!

Oh and welcome to the Forum :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Morning, does anyone know what vaccinations you need for this cruise. I know we are only ashore for a short time but is there anything we need.

Thanks

Try looking on this website

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations.aspx

which is where we check what is needed, and also happens to be the site our local doctor's practice uses to look up when we ask about vaccinations.

in particular for you

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/cuba.aspx

and

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/central-america/panama.aspx

just look at the "Courses or boosters usually advised".

Note that the "other vaccines to consider" are for people spending a long time in the country or going off the tourist trails.

terry 2

You have quoted the Scottish fit for travel site. For anyone in England and Wales they should visit http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk There are some slight differences.

Our surgery no longer gives vaccinations, even although the ones we need are advertised as free on the NHS. Patients are now required to contact one particular chemist to make an appointment for consultation and appropriate vaccinations. Two years ago a typhoid jab cost us £27 each. Although filling in a questionnaire, we were not asked about our GP who, to this day, is unaware that we have had them.

We are due to have basic vaccinations updated next year and will be taking this matter up with the relevant department to find out why our surgery is no longer administering these. We understand that certain jabs have to be paid for and have no objection to that.

Best to check with own surgery to find out what their policy is as it seems there are differences between surgeries. :)

Edited by skioncruises

That's interesting. I didn't realise there were differences. I must say I was surprised we were given ours free - I had expected to pay. Certainly we paid for the malaria tablets (although we didn't take them in the end).

You have quoted the Scottish fit for travel site. For anyone in England and Wales they should visit www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk There are some slight differences.

Ah well um, if you look at the bottom of the web pages of that fitfortravel site you will see that it is "copyright Health Protection Scotland - a division of NHS National Services Scotland"; so I would expect the version on the Scottish site to be the more up to date (but that could well just be me).