Camp Carnival?

TxSandMom

We're looking at a 5-day cruise on Ecstasy from Galveston. Is there really 24-hour care for the kids? What are the "free" hours, and what hours are designated as "pay"? What is the rate?

If I want to go to a midnight show with DH, do the kids at Camp Carnival go to bed there? Or do they play? Do they have a choice?

Are there any shows that are appropriate for kids? We have two aged 3 and one aged 4-soon-to-be-5.

This is a basic guide....

In the two cruises we went on with the kids... the times for Camp Carnival were 9am-12, 2-5 and 7-10pm. Those sessions were free.

From 10pm - 3am it was $6 per hour for the first child, and $4 for the second.

Our kids loved going in the morning, hanging with us in the afternoon, then back to camp after dinner.

Catrin

RangerDog - thanks, but on the scanned images I couldn't read any of the words unless they were huge

Catrin - during the night hours in Camp Carnival, do the kids sleep there? Like on mats on the floor or... what?

We were on the Elation, but I'm sure they are all the same. The ages for Camp Carnival is 2-5 and then older. We had a 19 month old, so we didn't use it very often only for night baby sitting. We took her at 10pm in her pj's. It is $6 per hour then $4 for any other kids. They have mats there and the kids get to watch movies. Our daughter went to sleep as did lots of others. We also let her on the ship while in one port from 9am-12pm. Of course with the baby sitting charges applied. Hope this helps you.

Marine Wife - thanks, that helps a LOT.

H-m-m... not too keen on the movies part (we don't let the kids watch a lot of movies / TV)... and we're a lot stricter on what types of movies the kids can watch than a lot of other parents are.

Please clarify: you left your child in childcare from 9AM to noon and were charged? Why? I thought that was during "free" hours. Or was it because you were in port?

I think the poster above was charged.. because her baby was only 19mth old.... they allow babies for a fee while in port.

My kids did sleep on mats during the "slumber parties". Our 9 yr old actually went to a late night party for the 9-11 group (two nights) where they played games, etc. He had a blast, but we paid dearly for it the next day... so we did not do it the second time offered.

The kids did watch movies at night... while on the mats with the lights off. They watched "Ice Age" one time and "Finding Nemo" another. We only did the babysitting one night (the night in Cozumel) - and the kids had no problem going - they loved it!

I know you want to limit the kids TV time.. but they are on vacation too!! It might be a treat for them!

Let me know if I can answer any more questions,

Catrin

Marinewife is correct in her posting about the charges for the after hours

( 10pm ~ 3 Am ) babysitting fees... A.K.A. a slumber party at Camp Carnival...

I wouldn't drop them off at midnight, I would be sure they are there for the movie and the whole slumber party participation.

I am sure they would not show any movies not appropraite for thier age.

:)

Catrin - I know you're right about it (movies) being a treat!

mc'smom - you (in general, I mean, not specifically YOU) would think that, but I've seen daycares and such show PG movies to kids under 5 and even show movies at all to kids under 3. :rolleyes: Just not my cup of tea. We have twins that just turned 3 and then another who will be 5 shortly, so there aren't really that many movies we like them to watch.

ANYHOO - how far ahead should I make a reservation for night sitting? Do they book up? Can I make a reservation for all nights, then "cancel"? Or would that cost a fee? There are some shows I want to see and... well... we don't get out much at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We're looking at a 5-day cruise on Ecstasy from Galveston. Is there really 24-hour care for the kids? What are the "free" hours, and what hours are designated as "pay"? What is the rate?

If I want to go to a midnight show with DH, do the kids at Camp Carnival go to bed there? Or do they play? Do they have a choice?

Are there any shows that are appropriate for kids? We have two aged 3 and one aged 4-soon-to-be-5.

TxSandMom, we just got off the 5 day cruise on the Ecstasy. We had all of our kids with us ~ ages 2,6,9,10,13,13,17,and 23. The only one of our kids that was bored was the 17 year old but that was just because she wanted to be stuck like glue to the 23 year old. Our 2 year old didn't want to stay in Camp Carnival the first night (screamed like a banshee) so we didn't push the issue because she was extremely tired and we didn't want to totally ruin it for her. After a good night's sleep, she went the next day and had a ball. Our 6, 9, and 10 year olds begged to go back every day.

The one thing that I didn't care for was that the 9-11 year old group is allowed to sign themselves in and out. The ship is easy to navigate but not for a 9 year old little girl from a very small town! They were doing a scavenger hunt and my 9 year old got left behind and we saw her walking on the deck crying. I was not a happy camper about that.

The 9-11 year old group had a late night party the day we were in Calica. It was $26 for the first child and $14 for the second. They got to make their own pizzas and sundaes, had a water balloon fight and lots of other fun stuff. That was from 10 pm to 3:30 am and the counselors walked the kids back to their cabins when the party was over.

We had late seating dinner but I would book early dinner if I had it all to do over again. We would end up taking the kids to eat in the buffet some nights and then dropping them off at Camp Carnival and going to eat in the dining room with the other adults in our group. The kids were scared to death they were going to miss something at Camp.

I can't say it enough to make the kids go to the orientation and meet and greet the first night. It was at 7:15 on the first night. Our 13 year old twin boys went to the 12-14 year old meet and greet and met up with a large group of kids. We didn't see them very often in the evenings, just for dinner and the shows.

There was only one night when we saw thongs in the theatre on the dancers and that was during Extreme Country. It was only for one number. Of course, the adult comedy at midnight would not be appropriate and under 18 is not allowed to be in the lounge then anyway.

Sorry so long, hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to answer.

Julie

:) Julie - thanks! That helps me a LOT! :)

I'd be appalled if they let my 9 year-old solo on a cruise ship for a scavenger hunt! Our 9-year old isn't even allowed to play in the front yard alone, never mind a huge cruise ship! :eek: Eeeek!

mc'smom - you (in general, I mean, not specifically YOU) would think that, but I've seen daycares and such show PG movies to kids under 5 and even show movies at all to kids under 3. :rolleyes: Just not my cup of tea. We have twins that just turned 3 and then another who will be 5 shortly, so there aren't really that many movies we like them to watch.

If you are that worried about it....

Then I would bring them where ever you go the entire cruise, my daughter was two on our last carnival cruise and LOVED camp Carnival (she even still talks about the counselors and Freddie)- yes there were movies (everynight in fact) I didn't mind (the ones I saw were Disney) she came back at night with her face painted and had a great time - but if you are that worried about what they are watching I wouldn't leave them at camp!

Archived