Private Pompeii tours from Sorento

elapel01

Hi, we will be going on the Oct 2 Celebrity Equinox Italy and Greek Isles cruise and it stops at Sorrento where I want to do tour to see Pompeii.

Can anyone recommend a great company to do a tour with besides Celebrity's? I do realize that if we use Celebrity and we are late that the ship will wait for us so I'm not totally against doing the Celebrity one.

We did a private one for the Vatican one year and they were great and a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

Hi, we will be going on the Oct 2 Celebrity Equinox Italy and Greek Isles cruise and it stops at Sorrento where I want to do tour to see Pompeii.

Can anyone recommend a great company to do a tour with besides Celebrity's? I do realize that if we use Celebrity and we are late that the ship will wait for us so I'm not totally against doing the Celebrity one.

We did a private one for the Vatican one year and they were great and a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

Rome In Limo

We used RIL for all 3 of our Italy stops. Search the forums and trip advisor, you will find they are HIGHLY rated. We feel RIL "MADE" our trip, fantastic. If you click the review in my signature I have in detail what our day was like with RIL.

You can also join your Roll Call to meet up with other folks, if you wish

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

Hi,

We did a tour of Pompeii this past fall on our Equinox cruise. We booked a private tour (there were 6 of us) with 'Gaetano's Pompeii Tours' and I can not recommend him highly enough. We did a full day tour visiting Sorrento, Positano, and the Amalfi Coast, had lunch at an amazing hill side family restaurant overlooking the coast. Then spent the afternoon with Gaetano touring Pompeii. He is a 3rd generation guide at Pompeii (both his father and grandfather were guides) and he is just so passionate about it. I felt so sorry for the people either walking around by themselves or in big groups because there is no way they had the same experience as we did. Gaetano just brought it to life and as we walked around we could visualize what life was like.

This tour was definately on of the highlights of our trip.

Robin

Hi,

We did a tour of Pompeii this past fall on our Equinox cruise. We booked a private tour (there were 6 of us) with 'Gaetano's Pompeii Tours' and I can not recommend him highly enough. We did a full day tour visiting Sorrento, Positano, and the Amalfi Coast, had lunch at an amazing hill side family restaurant overlooking the coast. Then spent the afternoon with Gaetano touring Pompeii. He is a 3rd generation guide at Pompeii (both his father and grandfather were guides) and he is just so passionate about it. I felt so sorry for the people either walking around by themselves or in big groups because there is no way they had the same experience as we did. Gaetano just brought it to life and as we walked around we could visualize what life was like.

This tour was definately on of the highlights of our trip.

Robin

Do you remember how much the tour was? Thank you!

I just got an email back from Gaetano. For them to pick us up, then he would do a 2 hour tour of Pompeii with us, then go to lunch, then maybe over to Herculaneum or go see Naples & visit Mt. Vesuvius would cost 300 euro per person. Too much for us! I see that he doesn't take different groups of people. Since I am just traveling with my husband he will only do the 2 of us; he won't take another couple unless we were travelling with them. So that's why the price is higher I am assuming. It would have been nice to hear him but too expensive for 2 people.

Rome in Limo lets you join up with other people to lower the cost and it looks like they only allow 6 people at the most which is still good.

There is a very easy, inexpensive, and totally private alternative to an organized tour, private or otherwise.

If you can easily get from your ship's pier to the Sorrento railway station (taxi would be most efficient), there are frequent trains direct to Pompeii, where the station is directly opposite the entrance to the ruins. The trip takes about 40 minutes. At Pompeii, numerous fully-licensed private guides will be hanging about and soliciting business. Their hourly rates, for as long as you want to be there, are quite inexpensive. You just hire your guide, buy your ticket, and proceed at your own pace for as long as you like. Then, when you've had enough, you're free to go back over to the railway station for the next train back to Sorrento.

However you get there, go to Pompeii as early in the morning as possible, because it gets hot as blazes there.

When we did this a few years ago, we had ample time to wander the ruins and still get back to Sorrento for a very pleasant lunch near the harbor before re-boarding our ship. There are lots of threads on TripAdvisor with details on exactly how to do it.