Loners?

Tminish

I decided to purchase the WiFi while I'm on the plane. That way it can at least keep my mind occupied. I believe it's to be about $20...Not too bad. I don't think. LOL! My flight is only about 2 hours...And I could possibly see myself giving my seat up for someone. That's the type of person I am and considering I'm solo it makes more sense. I would be worried that my luggage would DEFINIETLY not make it to me. Lol! I know that if I have questions all I have to do is ask for help. But here in Atlanta the employees are so rude. Or is that every airport? Lol

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for your kind words and encouragement. It's all greatly appreciated! =)

I don't know how afraid you really are. I do have some panic issues, so I know fear can be overwhelming. For me, I'm not afraid of the flying part, but I'm afraid of other parts of travel. I won't share those with you so you won't start thinking about it. But, there are things you can do. The wifi is good. I have learned to do relaxation exercises. You can find something like it on YouTube, I'm sure. I bring word find puzzles to take my mind off things. If you have a smart phone you can play games there. There are things you can do in your head to keep your mind off fear. Read up on it online. Personally, I play little counting games in my head. You just have to stop thinking about your fear. Fortunately, I like cruising so much that I can overcome the fear to get to the ship! I hope you have a great cruise.

BTW, I never give up my seat on the way to a cruise, but I always hope for the opportunity to give up my seat on the way home. Once, I gave up my seat and they gave me hotel, food and $300 voucher. Next day I went back to the airport and I got the same deal!! $600 flight credit! It was a good deal.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I will tell you, when I'm on board the ship and people learn that I'm solo, there's a moment of puzzlement at first and after that, the most common reaction is "Good for you! I wish I could do that!"

We're not loners, we're bold adventurers. ;)

Cruising is my absolute favorite way to vacation, but I have a difficult time finding friends or family to go... After reading these posts I am thinking that I WILL try cruising solo. I have a little anxiety about it...but I think I want to try. I think I would feel perfectly safe cruising solo, just a little worried about feeling lonely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising is my absolute favorite way to vacation, but I have a difficult time finding friends or family to go... After reading these posts I am thinking that I WILL try cruising solo. I have a little anxiety about it...but I think I want to try. I think I would feel perfectly safe cruising solo, just a little worried about feeling lonely.

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I can make friends with strangers, so talking to others is not an issue for me. But being in my studio cabin alone all the time might be. haha. I guess I'll start talking to myself..Then that would be an issue. LOL!!!!

You should look into booking the Getaway October 2014. There's a lot of singles going that I'm aware of. I'll have to adjust to not having a window to view the beautiful water but I will certainly not die without one.

Just think...It will be something you could say you have done. What an accomplishment! Not too many people go to the bathroom alone..much less vacation! =)

Chances are you will have a day where you feel lonely. It'll be one of those days where you are feeling a bit off, everything seems to be going wrong, everyone else looks like they're having a better time than you and the only person there to pick you back up is yourself. So you will, because you have to!!

For the rest of the time you'll be so busy seeing the World, having a good time, meeting new people, enjoying the party..... they are the days that make it all worthwhile.

On the other hand you could spend your life sat at home on your own, waiting for friends who can never travel when you want to, or can't afford it, or don't want to cruise, or do want to do all of the above but don't invite you!! That for me was a more scary thought than travelling alone :eek:

And if you try it and its not for you - well at least you tried :)

I usually travel alone (3 cruises, DC and Baltimore...4th cruise coming up). I have had the best of luck about meeting great people to have dinner with, but if I were to be seated alone I would be okay with that too. Cruising is the best for solo travelers because you can be as involved or as alone as you want and in my experience most people respect either way.

My friends tell me that if they see someone eating alone they feel sorry for them (imagining that they are a widow or widower) but I tell them that the person can have a whole house full of relatives and just wants to be alone for a few minutes. Most of them have never thought of that!! :D Just trying to give the flip side of the 'they must be lonely' coin!!

Chances are you will have a day where you feel lonely. It'll be one of those days where you are feeling a bit off, everything seems to be going wrong, everyone else looks like they're having a better time than you and the only person there to pick you back up is yourself. So you will, because you have to!!

For the rest of the time you'll be so busy seeing the World, having a good time, meeting new people, enjoying the party..... they are the days that make it all worthwhile.

On the other hand you could spend your life sat at home on your own, waiting for friends who can never travel when you want to, or can't afford it, or don't want to cruise, or do want to do all of the above but don't invite you!! That for me was a more scary thought than travelling alone :eek:

And if you try it and its not for you - well at least you tried :)

That's exactly why I want to go Solo if nobody else is game. I usually go off by myself on the ship anyway. We usually do dinner and excursions together, but I am off on my own other than that. If I were Solo, there would still be groups of people on excursions and if I request traditional dining at a larger table I will have people to dine with. It might not be much different except that I get the cabin to myself.

That's exactly why I want to go Solo if nobody else is game. I usually go off by myself on the ship anyway. We usually do dinner and excursions together, but I am off on my own other than that. If I were Solo, there would still be groups of people on excursions and if I request traditional dining at a larger table I will have people to dine with. It might not be much different except that I get the cabin to myself.

And more importantly, the bathroom and wardrobe to yourself!

And more importantly, the bathroom and wardrobe to yourself!

YES! Until we upgraded to a balcony on my last cruise we always had a tomb room (inside cabin ~ no windows) shared with 3 or 4 people. I think I could really like a balcony room to myself and not have to "make an appointment" to use the shower. Lol

Someone suggested joining a singles table on the ship. For me that would be the most miserable thing ever. I prefer open seating, which is a great way to meet different people, and I'm not on a fixed schedule. I usually have breakfast in the main dining room, at a table for one, if possible. My newspaper, my coffee, I'm happy! Am going on a 30-day cruise later this year, and hope it'll be as great as my past ones.

I've traveled extensively by myself - - cruises, air travel, and the last few years, road trips. I'm leaving on another one month+ road trip next month.

I don't know what people think of me traveling alone, other than my friends, who worry about me. I'm fine, I will be fine, I'll handle whatever situations come along. Trust your instincts, even on a cruise ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't look at it like we are loners, because there are groups of people, but they maybe eating at different times for 2 of the days meals. I did MDR, but half the table never showed. I am doing MTD on this next trip and since I have a much more private balcony I may just get food and take it back to the cabin. Enjoy the balcony, sunset and a great drink.