QM2 7/05 transatlantic eastbound review

bob71

Not sure how to make this appear in the review pages, but hopefully someone finds this info interesting.

We travelled last month from NYC - Southhamptom. The ship is beautiful, and there is a bauntiful of activities to do during the day: lectures (2 each day), RADA, dance lessons, planetarium (illuminations), great shows (usually after dinner in the Royal Court theatre), and of course the food. Oh, and to survive the near overdose of food, there's well equipped gym, 4 pools, and you can always do 3 laps to the boat for a 1+ mile walk.

Dining: as you already know, the Brittania is the main dining room in the boat (sauf for you posch Grill users!!;)). Both service, choice, and quality of food was excellent. The choice was very international, but mostly of European style, every dinner included: appetizer, salad, main dish, and desert, followed by coffee and petit fours. The best choice for dinner was on Thursday night... we all ordered something different and everything was top notch. All other days were great also, so I don't really see the need to go to Todd English's at night on any night (but if you insist, don't miss out on Thursday's dinner), I'm also not sure what else do you get at the Grills other than perhaps caviar and other delicacies (mind you, I wouldn't mind that!)... someone please explain. Alternatively, you might chose to use Todd English's restaurant for lunch instead (I never tried it). Staff was excellent, attentive, and friendly.

My only gripe with dining is that on the first day we had expected to be shown to our table, but there was not such service. We circled around the top floor a couple of times before we found the table... this service is done other cruiselines, such as RCL.

Lunch and breakfast was very good at the King's court, I'm sure you've read about this already. We opted to go to the Britannia for both servings a couple of time and were very happy with the experience. The reason's why we didn't do it every day: timing (or length of experience as expected being longer), and my gawd, we ate so much!! Tea time was also served both at King's Court and the Queen's Room, the latter of which we got to on our last day of the trip... it was a fun experience, scones with clotted cream and jam.. mmm :) all while a classical music quartet played on the floor.

Service (excluding restaurants): this was good in general. For some reason our attendant decided to come do our room while we were inside getting ready for dinner! I was not expecting this at all, especially in Cunard's style. At RCL I remember the attendant being pretty much invisible. Also, not that I care much, but the towels were never set up nicely in the shape of things, etc... I always thought that although pointless it adds a nice touch. Oh well. However, I presume that had to do more with my attendant than with Cunard's style, someone please clarify.

Pictures & Video: plenty of opportuniteis to have your picture taken by a professional, no need to buy, but one $27 pic is certainly worth it. However DO NOT GET THE VIDEO! I got it: for $30+ I got a 30+ mins video with only 5 - 10 mins of my cruise, the rest was complete advertising, I was very disappointed about this. At the very least they should say that they're selling advertising. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the video until after I left the boat, so it left me with a bit of sourness to the experience, pity.

In summary, it was a great experience, and I would definitely do the transatlantic trip again, or take the QM2 again elsewhere. As a lesson learned though, I will take the boat westbound, thereby gaiaining an hour every night as opposed to losing one as it happens on the eastbound trip, thus adding 10 hours to the trip!!

Many thanks for your review, I found it an enjoyable and interesting. I am sailing on QM2 for the first time at the end of the month and appreciate you taking the time to post your thread,

Thanks again

Phil:)

Bob,

Thanks for the review, and glad you enjoyed the crossing.

Dining: My only gripe with dining is that on the first day we had expected to be shown to our table, but there was not such service. We circled around the top floor a couple of times before we found the table... this service is done other cruiselines, such as RCL.
That is a surprise, because there was a long straight line of staff waiting for us the first night, and we were shown to our table right away on the lower level. Maybe the second level was temporarily taxed out of staff showing others to their tables?

For some reason our attendant decided to come do our room while we were inside getting ready for dinner! I was not expecting this at all, especially in Cunard's style. At RCL I remember the attendant being pretty much invisible. Also, not that I care much, but the towels were never set up nicely in the shape of things, etc... I always thought that although pointless it adds a nice touch. Oh well. However, I presume that had to do more with my attendant than with Cunard's style, someone please clarify.

Our room attendant was only so-so as well. Nothing terrible, but far from stellar.

If we go again, I am also considering doing a westbound as well for the extra hour per night. The only thing I am not crazy about is ending my vacation with the QM2 trip, instead of beginning with it. Those in England have that as an extra perk when setting off on their vacations sailing westbound. Maybe the only answer is to sail both ways!

How were the seas? Heavy, calm, mixed?

Paul

If we go again, I am also considering doing a westbound as well for the extra hour per night. The only thing I am not crazy about is ending my vacation with the QM2 trip, instead of beginning with it. Those in England have that as an extra perk when setting off on their vacations sailing westbound. Maybe the only answer is to sail both ways!

How were the seas? Heavy, calm, mixed? Paul

Paul

I sure will have the PCB when I finally disembark QM2 from all the reports I've read so far (I am hoping I won't be desperate to get off)!!!!! Also when I come back we shall be in the wetter weather with shorter nights!! I will be so depressed. Mind you this year we have not done our holiday planning very well. It will be just 9 weeks until our next cruise to the caribbean for Xmas for some much needed sunshine!!

Bob

I am sailing on the QM2 for the first time and spending 24 nights on her!! From reading your message I'll hopefully not be disappointed!! Can you tell me were you happy with the food in the Brittannia restaurant? You hear so many various views I suppose the only way to find out is once you are on board!! Also did you mention to your steward/stewardess about not coming into the room until you had left?? I have never ever had a cabin steward come into our room whilst we've been getting ready for dinner. Also they must survey our movements as hubby generally goes off to order in the cocktails and leaves me to finish getting dressed and our cabin stewards have never ever walked in on me half naked!! I think if that happens to me I shall have to say something. After all their tip depends on my happiness and I'm sure they'll oblige!!

What was your weather like coming across the atlantic??

Elaine

In summary, it was a great experience, and I would definitely do the transatlantic trip again, or take the QM2 again elsewhere. As a lesson learned though, I will take the boat westbound, thereby gaiaining an hour every night as opposed to losing one as it happens on the eastbound trip, thus adding 10 hours to the trip!!

Bob,

Thankyou for posting your review - and glad the Trans Atlantic has another fan (and yes, Westbound is even more fun!)

Peter

Elaine - wondering what you WOULD say if your steward walked in while you were half naked. We were always given the "make up room/do not disturb" cards and always used them. Heard a steward explaining to a very annoyed couple who's cabin had not been serviced by 3pm that because the do not disturb card was on their door he was not allowed to enter, so it is always worth remembering to take it off or turn it round when you leave.

David.

Elaine - wondering what you WOULD say if your steward walked in while you were half naked. We were always given the "make up room/do not disturb" cards and always used them. Heard a steward explaining to a very annoyed couple who's cabin had not been serviced by 3pm that because the do not disturb card was on their door he was not allowed to enter, so it is always worth remembering to take it off or turn it round when you leave.

David.

Well I would probably be so embarrased probably not much at the actual time!!!:o

Yes those cards are very good!! Use them all the time when retiring at nighttime usually. Of course sometimes if you sleep in too long as my husband seems to, the steward tends to lose them conveniently!!!!!!! (well they have on P & O anyway)!!!!!

Of course I would be very polite if I needed to say anything. I don't believe you get anywhere by being rude!!

Elaine

Ah, the weather, I forgot to mention anything about it. We only got one day of sunshine :-( the rest of the days were overcast, with somewhat rough seas and high winds on Thursday. During this day there was hardly any movement to the boat, but it was a bit loud in general.. not too bad though. Personally I had hoped for a real storm anyways :) just to get the experience :) (probably would've hated it!).

Again, if there's anything that you should take is: DO NOT BUY THE VIDEO!

Yes, you might be right. We entered the Britannia on the second floor from the back side I guess (stairway D?) and probably that's why we were not shown to out tables. It's still a surprise though... attendant should've asked us to go to the main entrance or some signs should've been posted (with a map?).

So, lesson learned: if you want to be shwon to your table, go into the Britannia though level 3, stairway C.

Another thing is that tipping is automatically added to your bill... no envelopes to give out at the end of the trip!! (I am not sure why they don't simply add this to the price of the cruise).

On eating, on a scale of 1 through 10, where a 10 means superexpensive ingredients (caviar, etc), 8 is excellent. The Britannia was always either an 8 or 9... (as expected).

is that the same one you took?

Day one was overcast leaving NYC

Day 2 was sunny

Day 3 was maybe sunny in the morning, afternoon overcast

Day 4 Overcast + some rain

Day 5 rain + somewhat rough seas

Day 6 Some sunshine maybe

that's my recollection... unless you were getting up very early!

Archived