Just returned from Viking's Danube Waltz

rickandpat

My sister and I (53 and 56) just went on this cruise on the Legend, leaving Passau May 11, arriving Budapest a week later. All I can say is WOW, which is high praise indeed considering we had pretty crummy weather. The ship is nice and comfortable, great 24 hour coffee/tea/hot chocolate station nearly always with a snack. Food was very good to excellent (we had a strudel demonstration!), enjoyed going through a lock during daylight hours. The staff worked very hard for us, starting with the only clinker. We stayed in Prague (another wow!) ahead of time, and then a night in Cemsky Krumlov, a charming smaller town in southern Czeck Rep. The only downside is because of geography and past history of wars and such, the only way to get to the ship in a reasonable amount of time was a shuttle, and they tried to shake us down when we arrived. The concierge and other officers helped us, and we were grateful. When Vienna turned out to be incredibly rainy, cold and windy and we didn't want to walk around after lunch after all (and David our program director kindly offered to have anyone who did not want to do the walking portion of the morning bus tour taken back to the ship - one of us persevered and one did not), they were flexible enough to let us on the Schornbrunn Palace tour at the last moment. All our guides were at least quite good, we seemed to luck out there, and the buses were very comfortable. Though many of our fellow cruisers were a bit older (over half North American but a very sizable UK contingent), we had a good time getting to know many of them through the week.

Though it was unseasonably cold and we had rain or a few sprinkles most days (and sun too - you have to be prepared for both all the time!), the countryside and gardens were beautiful, it was a lovely time of year to go. Any questions, just let me know.