Dealing with travel agent after booked Breakaway

hanna7636

I need help. I booked a cruise on Friday with a travel agent. I was told I would have a OBC and my documents would be emailed to me that night since they were busy and their computers were slow. She also told me I could change my room through customer service not her and any changes after the full pmt had to be done through NCL. Around 5pm I called customer service, like she told me, and ask where my reservation was and I wanted to add another person to my cruise. She then transferred me to the agents voicemail and I left a message if she could please email with with my reservation number and if I could add someone. I never heard from her. I called the company and they are closed for the weekend. I then called NCL and they gave me the reservation number which did not show my OBC and the agent told me the travel agent was the only one could change my room after final pmt and she said they were lazy for telling me otherwise.

What should I do? Has this happened to anyone?

You were given incorrect info. Only the TA can make cabin changes for you ( or any other changes for that matter).

As for the OBC, that may not show yet. Sometimes TAs offer it independent of what the cruise line is offering and they have to add it to your account. It won't show on the docs but will be in your stateroom when you travel.

Is there some urgency? Are you traveling next week?

Edited by conandrob240

Any changes and payments have to go thro your travel agent. You can only make changes if you booked thro NCLdirectly. NCL is right, your TA is being lazy and giving you misinformation.

I need help. I booked a cruise on Friday with a travel agent. I was told I would have a OBC and my documents would be emailed to me that night since they were busy and their computers were slow. She also told me I could change my room through customer service not her and any changes after the full pmt had to be done through NCL. Around 5pm I called customer service, like she told me, and ask where my reservation was and I wanted to add another person to my cruise. She then transferred me to the agents voicemail and I left a message if she could please email with with my reservation number and if I could add someone. I never heard from her. I called the company and they are closed for the weekend. I then called NCL and they gave me the reservation number which did not show my OBC and the agent told me the travel agent was the only one could change my room after final pmt and she said they were lazy for telling me otherwise.

Once you booked with a travel agent- they own the booking and NOT Norwegian. The only one who can change anything with your reservation would be the travel agent.

Sorry to hear that.

Sometimes dealing with the so called "big box" travel agencies online is more impersonal. I have always tried to use local TAs for more personal service. Get recommendations from friends/family. If all else fails transfer it to another TA.

You have a bad travel agent. Cancel and rebook with another TA or NCL. Other posters are correct... NCL will not assist you with your reservation because the TA is in control of it. I've had good experiences with some online travel agents, they are available on weekends, and any of the CSRs can service the reservation when you call. Look for a TA that either doesn't charge cancellation/fees or charges a fee that can be credited towards a future cruise.

Sometimes I have run into an experienced agent that gives out incorrect information but it's quickly resolved by calling in and getting a different CSR or asking for a supervisor. However, I haven't encountered one making such excuses and possibly being deceptive like yours.

Edited by kylenyc

A complaint with the BBB, really? Maybe the TA was new and made a mistake about how to make changes. Your OBC probably would not ever show on the NCL invoice, it would be in the note from the TA and will be in your cabin. As for adding a person, it is entirely possible it cannot be done depending on the cabin/ cabin type, rate you booked.

This is what travel agent told me

1. No fee to upgrade just difference between room prices, no fees from them

Was never told of any cancellation fees, promotional cancellation

2. I am not to speak to travel agent regarding any changes, etc, have to go through customer service. When called customer service told me have to go through travel agent

3. After final pmt any changes in room go through NCL not travel agent

4. My name was wrong on reservation

5. Received no authorization form from company and was told would have by Friday

6. I am in a balcony and wanted to upgrade to a suite to add another person.

This is enough for a complaint for me

Edited by hanna7636

Hanna, I understand you are upset but you booked Friday ( yesterday) and didn't even give the TA a chance to explain or verify. I think calling the BBB was a bit ridiculous under the circumstances. However, I don't blame you for wanting to cancel and use another TA.

First I've heard of a $100 cancellation fee from this TA. They sorta' forget to mention this on the website or in emails. Thanks for the heads up.

For every cruise I've ever booked with a TA, the confirmation, which is immediately emailed to you, contains the terms and conditions of the booking. For my currently booked cruise, the confirmation is 6 pages long. It's a little tedious, but you really should read what you are agreeing to. Of course finding out about some terms and conditions after you've booked is a little late, so I make sure I ask about some things like cancellation fees before I book.

OP, you need to call your Travel Agency back ASAP. Insist on speaking to a supervisor. The BBB is not going to do anything for you. Either you have misunderstood the person you booked with, or the agency has a bad individual working for them. If so, they need to know about it so they can fix it. This is a very large agency which probably books thousands of cruises with NCL. I can't believe that they could get away with this behavior on a routine basis. NCL would call them on it at some point.

Edited by punkincc

The travel agent who booked my cruise was not the one I spoke to first. When the first one called I was at work and told her I would call her the next day. When I called back they couldn't find her so they gave me to another agent. She wouldn't take my reservation at first but then took it and I guess gave it to my first agent.

All I ever wanted was a confirmation from the company regarding my deposit and if I could add another person. When 2 tell you that it will be sent by the end of the day and it isn't what would you think.

Also, they say the telephone conversations are taped so I guess they can find out the truth.

If I didn't sign the authorization do I still have to use this agency?

The travel agent who booked my cruise was not the one I spoke to first. When the first one called I was at work and told her I would call her the next day. When I called back they couldn't find her so they gave me to another agent. She wouldn't take my reservation at first but then took it and I guess gave it to my first agent.

All I ever wanted was a confirmation from the company regarding my deposit and if I could add another person. When 2 tell you that it will be sent by the end of the day and it isn't what would you think.

Also, they say the telephone conversations are taped so I guess they can find out the truth.

If I didn't sign the authorization do I still have to use this agency?

None of us know what company you are booked with, and it can't be discussed here, so we can't know if it is a legit company. You do know they actually made a reservation with NCL, as NCL gave you the reservation number. If your name is wrong on the reservation, ( I assume you know this from talking to NCL as you said you did not get an emailed confirmation from the TA ), then that HAS to be corrected before you sail.

Most big online agencies are open 24/7, but your's may be closed for the holiday weekend. For what it's worth, I have also been told after a booking that if I have any questions later, to call another number at the agency where someone dedicated to that task will answer general questions. It frees up the time of those who are busy making new bookings. BUT, for things like changes to the reservation itself, they will generally send you to the booking agent.

You are not after the final payment period, so you can still cancel without losing your deposit. But, you did pay a deposit and give the agent a verbal OK to book your cruise. (I have never actually signed anything to book a cruise.). So you are still probably bound by the agencies terms and conditions in regards to cancellation fees, if any. If you do cancel and rebook elsewhere, any special promotions you booked under, sale prices, etc. may have changed.

Call them first thing Tue am and tell them all the issues. I would ask for a supervisor. Get your questions answered. I would not speak to the person who gave you the wrong info about talking to NCL. If you still at that point feel uncomfortable, you should probably just cancel and move on.

Let me try to help Hanna who needs some hand holding.

There was mention of wanting to upgrade to a suite. Have you looked at the price difference for that? Keep in mind that a mini-suite is NOT a suite.

This TA might be fine or they may be terrible. In any case, trying to deal with this on a weekend (3 day one at that), is only causing you aggravation. Chill out and wait until Tues or Wed to see where things are at. Good news is that the TA actually made a reservation with NCL. (sometimes that does not happen)

Thanks for all the help and advice. Going to call Tuesday and speak to a supervisor. I told the agent I wanted to upgrade to a mini suite at a later date when I had researched more. She said that was fine but would have to pay the difference which is okay with me.

The travel agent I used was recommended on this board by someone so I called and they gave me a good price.

Remember, the mini is really a just slight larger balcony cabin. It does not get any suite perks at all.

Not saying it is a bad cabin, but important to note it is not a suite in any sense of the word.

What time of room would you recommend for 4 people? My son, mother in law, nanny, and myself. I did a mini on the pearl awhile ago but really don't remember a lot.

A balcony cabin, or even a mini suite is going to be tight quarters for 4 people. Not ideal, but some people can handle it. It you can afford it, have you considered two cabins, connecting or at least close by? Maybe one balcony cabin, plus an inside, or even a large suite? They even have some 2 bedroom ones. The agent should be able to go over the options with you if you tell them your concerns about apace.

What time of room would you recommend for 4 people? My son, mother in law, nanny, and myself. I did a mini on the pearl awhile ago but really don't remember a lot.

Oh, good to see you have been in a mini.

I would go along with what another poster said - connecting balconies might be good. If you do a real suite, the only possible one would be a 2 BR. Most of the other suites are pretty much just a larger room.

As said, some are okay with a balcony/mini, but there is ZERO privacy. No idea what you relationship is with nanny and Mother in Law, or how old your son is (guessing rather young since you are bringing a nanny)

Hanna I would love to pm you but I don't see a way to do so. It sounds like a company I am very familiar with and I would love to help you. I'm just too new to cc to figure out how to private message you.

I always book through the cruise line. You own the reservation and can get immediate service without going through a middle man. I don't care about a small OBC or bottle of wine an agent may offer - it is more more important to me to be able to call any day of the week and at almost any hour and know that my concern will be dealt with immediately. I have never been disappointed using the cruise line "vacation planners".

Hanna I would love to pm you but I don't see a way to do so. It sounds like a company I am very familiar with and I would love to help you. I'm just too new to cc to figure out how to private message you.

Sorry but there's no private messaging ability within CC.