Hello to some Seabourn Cruisers

Sea-hawk

Although we arrived back home more than a week ago, I’ve been too swamped to post about our great cruise from London-London on the Pride. We sailed the Norwegian Fjords along with Copenhagen and Amsterdam. The weather was perfect and fellow cruisers wonderful.

In addition, I have hellos to some of you on this board from some of the crew.

Jane Pond, you get a big hello and hug from Leanne. You once mentioned how she would be the first female Maitre d on Seabourn. I whole hardily agree. She was increasable. It was our first time to sail with her, and hopefully not our last.

Martita, of course there were a few hellos to you. Karl was the Maitre d and he indeed was outstanding. We would follow him from ship to ship if we could. We also had the privilege to sit with Vitor, the hotel manager one night and he too had kind things to say about you, as did some of the waiters.

It had been over two years since our last Seabourn cruise and that was way too long to be away. But like in the past we felt like we were right at home again. Of all the places we have been in the world, nothing can beat the experience of being on Seabourn.

I can't believe how much fun it is to await boarding the Pride again. It's like such a fun family group; I cannot imagine feeling that way about another line. I think it was Martha who identified Leeann as a future Maitre d'; she is so nice and accommodating, not to mention efficient, so I second the nomination.

Jane (who was your Cruise Director and did you have some lecturers?)

Cruise director was Jan Stearman.

Michelle Phillips was a "celebrity guest" lecturer. She spoke once one the writing of the songs for the Mamas and the Papas, and a bit about Mama Cass. Her other lecture was suppose to be about her transition from singing to film and television, but it was mostly clips of her from "Knots Landing" and some films. Her presence on the ship was shall we say interesting to say the least.

The other lecturer was Richard Tallboys from the UK. He was downright fascinating, as was his wife Margaret, who was on our Team Trivia Team, and who I enjoyed having tea with on occasion. Mr. Tallboys and Margaret have lived all over the world, including Houston, TX, Brazil, Kenya and Southeast Asia. He was Ambassador to Cambodia. He was one of the best speakers we have heard.

Aren't the Tallboys wonderful??? We had their company last year. They both are so interesting. Margaret always reminded me of the Disney fairy godmother in Cinderella. Funny,but one day in Februarly I was channel surfing in my suite on QM2 and I heard his voice, and caught his lectures given on a voyage there.

We will get Opera and that should be wonderful as it was in April. Michellle Phillips would interest me not a bit, even though I remember those days. I never watched Knots Landing. Thanks for the update.

Jane

You have pegged Margaret perfectly. She was a joy and a hoot. Our team on Team Trivia consisted of her, 4 other Brits and 2 other Americans. They were all very entertaining. Her husband Richard smartly played on another team. Margaret would always be the first with an answer, and was nearly always wrong, but very confidant, not that that got us any extra points. Alas we did not win, nor even come close, but had a wonderful time playing anyway.

Were you in Viet Nam with them? We did that cruise a few years back, and all we could think about is how wonderful it would have been to have them on board then.

I sailed with them last August on the Northern Capitals cruise to Norway, etc.They had given me their business card but I never coudl find it. I always wanted to entertain them when I got to London. I had never thought about Tasmania until I met them.

Jane (Not that I think about it alot now, however<G>)

In fairness, (and without knowing details) I understand that she lost luggage which never did catch her up on the cruise. That can make the best of us a mite tetchy!

bgood

Sea-hawk and Jane -- Wow, you've both done cruises on Seabourn through some of the Norwegian Fjords. I'm DYING to do the Seabourn "midnight sun" cruise all the way up to the Norway Cape. I know you both love the ships (and rightly so, from what I've heard), but I'd love to hear about about being on Seabourn amongst the Fjords. Seems like it would be an amazing experience.

I'm kinda hoping for the 2007 cruise, as my Seabourn savings account is still in its infancy. I've even entertained the thought of taking one of the two-night Carnival cruises (shortest possible), just so I can get the extra 15% discount off of Seabourn.

Thanks for all of your input. I especially love reading Jane's posts.

>" I've even entertained the thought of taking one of the two-night Carnival cruises (shortest possible), just so I can get the extra 15% discount off of Seabourn."

Well, I just bought some Carnival stock for the same reason! I am not sure how the other discounts work, since I 'started' on Seabourn, traveling with my Mother who got the previous 'passenger discount.' And speaking of the Norway cruise, it was wonderful; gorgeous scenery and no 'choppy seas' in the fjords, either!

Jane in PHL

Jane -- Thanks for the response. How does the Carnival investment angle work? Is it explained anywhere on Seabourn or Carnival or World's Leading Cruise Lines? Considering the growth in cruise lines, it couldn't be bad. And, to be honest, I'd rather not have to cruise Carnival.

Thanks for the pointer, and the Norway feedback. A person on one of my other boards posted all their photos from their NCV cruise to the top. It was amazing!

Jane -- Thanks for the response. How does the Carnival investment angle work? Is it explained anywhere on Seabourn or Carnival or World's Leading Cruise Lines? Considering the growth in cruise lines, it couldn't be bad. And, to be honest, I'd rather not have to cruise Carnival.

Thanks for the pointer, and the Norway feedback. A person on one of my other boards posted all their photos from their NCV cruise to the top. It was amazing!

I really don't know how it works, I had read a note about it here a while ago. I think it's under a thread about online credits. However, I needed to buy some stocks and figured that I could pick up 100 shares for 'fun watching' as I call it. The credit would be a bonus. <G>

Jane

Jane, sorry I haven't responded. House guests all weekend. No problems at all in embarkation/debarkation in London. We arrived from Dallas the morning of the cruise, spent the day in a room resting at a hotel at Gatwick, and took the train into town, and a taxi to the pier. Although Seabourn does not dock next to the Belfast anymore, we still boarded the tender in the same place, the dock next to the ecntrance to the Tower of London. There were porters there of course, we just got on the tender and checked in on board the ship.

When we arrived back in London, we were staying for just one night before returning to Dallas. We disembarked in the same place and caught a taxi to our hotel. There were plenty there.

Jane, I remember that you once mentioned on a previous thread about eating in the Veranda on your first night. We too wanted to do that with a view of Tower Bridge. We were suppose to sail away at 11pm, but ended up going earlier, at around 9pm. Rather than opting to dine downstairs, we still ate in the Veranda so that we could be upstairs and outside for the sailaway. By the way, the ship was positioned facing Tower Bridge, with the Veranda Cafe facing downriver. I was told that was because the ship came too late the night before to turn in around. We turned prior to sailing instead.

When we returned back to London 2 weeks later it was magical. We had sailed up the Thames on a nice warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. We again decided to eat that evening outside in the Veranda with 2 other couples. We were finishing our main course as we came around Greenwich, and the setting sun was making everything glow in warm golds, oranges and yellows. As we sailed closer to the Bridge, they turned the ship around and we backed into our space. It was beautiful. By now many of our fellow cruisers who had eaten downstairs were wondering up to enjoy the view of the sun setting behind the bridge. Even though we had breakfast there the next morning, we were so glad we decided to spend the last hours of the cruise where we did.

Darrencantwait, We did indeed enjoy to fjords. We have been to the Baltic capitals a few years ago, and they were great. This time it was Western Norway, Oslo, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. The ports were good, but what we really enjoyed were the days sailing the calm, mirrored waters surrounded by the mountains and waterfalls.

Next year Seabourn is offering 2 ten day cruises out of Copenhagen to the fjords. They are also offering a 15 day cruise from London to Copenhagen that goes all the way up to the Artic Circle. It wasn't offered this year. We would really love to do it if we can work our schedules right next summer. It should be both beautiful and relaxing.

When I get a bit more organized, I'll post some pictures.

Sea-Hawk,

Was it your cruise that had the Opera evenings with the Reduced Opera Compnay? If so, did you enjoy it? I certainly enjoyed the performances we had on the Legend in April and we will have another 'troupe' sailing on the 28th, but I think they might disembark before the crossing.

Jane

Agree about Leanne (she is an absolute sweetie - nothing is too much trouble) and also the Tallboys (sailed with them last year - Margaret and I shared a birthday!). We have just done the Norwegian fjords and the weather was awful and everybody kept telling us how wonderful the weather had been 4 weeks before! Still had fun though. The new dock seemed to work very well although it would have been fun sailing through Tower Bridge.:o

It is so true about Leanne. She is truly special, and one of the best, but that is hard to say since they are all the best, and all special!

Sorry to hear about your weather, you should have been with us in July, it was near perfect, and we had the Tallboys with us on top of that! We would love to travel with them again, particularly in Asia. Is that where you were with them?

Agree with you about the new dock. Of course we loved sailing under the bridge, but the new area seems more private than when the ship was docked across from the Tower of London.

Shefinch and Sea Hawk,

We are booked on the August trip next year for theFjiords and the British Isles for 15 days. If you have any advise pertaining to the ports, ship etc., we would greatly appreciate it. One year is too long to wait for our Seabourn fix!

This October we head for a two week driving trip in France, Luxenborg and Belgium to visit the WW1 and WW2 sites - my husband's life long desire. We end it with a one week river trip from Le Havre to Paris.

March is a cruise (on another line because Seabourn does not go to these ports yet) from China to five ports in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Shanghai and to Hong Kong. Hopefully one day they will investigate these areas.

Then it will be our Norway trip. Ready to be pampered and spoiled.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

dd@sea,

Today I just received informatiom from the D-Day National Museum that they are doing a charter of the Legend from Monte Carlo to Rome for 7 days beginning October 16, 2005.

It is going to have Tom Brokaw and a variety of guest lecturers and tours of the points of interest of the war.

Looks very interesting.

mcboo

Archived