Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

Peteukmcr, quite longwinded but every word a true word, if our friends across the Pond paid what we pay and don't get what we don't, there would be boards full of moans, PS are you a City fan, you seemed quite happy, :D:D

Peteukmcr, quite longwinded but every word a true word, if our friends across the Pond paid what we pay and don't get what we don't, there would be boards full of moans, PS are you a City fan, you seemed quite happy, :D:D
I know long winded, but needed to make sure I covered all bases. BTW I'm a red :(

i dont see a problem with removing auto tips and paying with cash. i know its vilified but its a personal preference.

to reply to the OP's question even if i get poor service i still tip minimum because i know they work off tips mostly.

I think when tips are removed, the staff is notified. I would hope that the level of service provided is adjust accordingly. That way, workers can go above and beyond for other passengers who will show appreciation for their efforts.

from what i understand they get a print out everyday.

This is my first cruise and I haven't pre-paid my tips, I will just pay the standard amount at the end.

Regarding tipping as we go along, do I also need to slip the waiters etc cash or is this all covered by the $12 per day? Would hate to be sitting at a dinner table and people judging you because you haven't brought a tip.

The twelve dollars a day per person is what Royal Caribbean wants to add to your sea pass per day ,for the crew salary. You can take it off or leave it on your choice.Also the best advice i can give to you is not to worry about people judging you.Spend your money as you see fit.:)

The twelve dollars a day per person is what Royal Caribbean wants to add to your sea pass per day ,for the crew salary. You can take it off or leave it on your choice.Also the best advice i can give to you is not to worry about people judging you.Spend your money as you see fit.:)

my issue with auto tips is how much or little goes to the people that really deserved it? how much goes to staff they should be paying a salary too.

I like to make sure the right people get a nice amount of cash , i know i can add extra however why not give them a bigger chunk is how i look at it.

I wish they would just include tips as part of fare. It's such a culture difference between countries and I get that. When we travel internationally we are often told by servers they like getting Americans because many of us are used to tipping and do it in countries where it's not standard.

But adding it in to the cost of the cruises will probably never happen because the first line to do it would probably lose business from either seeming higher cost or people disagreeing with the whole tip thing....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take it then because the above Countries do not normally tip as it is not in their culture, that they are all wrong. I would say tipping is an American way of life because your Governments do not implement a living wage for its workers. Here in the UK tipping is a relatively a new thing in comparison. We do tip and have tipped extra, but do not like the fact that I'm told what to do because this is how the US does it. PS, we pay up front and have no problem doing so, as we add it in to the price of the holiday, PS, hope I'm correct on the American way I apologise if wrong.

Just as an FYI, many Americans do not need a government to hold our hands through life. That is exactly what I consider a government mandated minimum wage to be. It is for people too lazy to get an education to get a real job. Said people expect the government to force businesses to pay them for more than they are worth so they can continue flipping burgers at McDonalds to be able to raise the 5 kids they can't afford for the rest of their life.

I wish they would just include tips as part of fare. It's such a culture difference between countries and I get that. When we travel internationally we are often told by servers they like getting Americans because many of us are used to tipping and do it in countries where it's not standard.

But adding it in to the cost of the cruises will probably never happen because the first line to do it would probably lose business from either seeming higher cost or people disagreeing with the whole tip thing....

Actually instead of having the tips in the fare, I would prefer to see it paid the same way that port charges and taxes are mandatorily added. This way, if a person cancels prior to the cruise, while they would lose their base rate, they would get the tip money back (since they didn't take the cruise in the first place). If they go on the cruise, they cannot go down to GS on the last night claiming some stupid injustice and demand their tips be removed.

After watching this video, you'll never think about cutting tips again. The crew works so hard for very little.

I also just watched the video and how much of it is sensationalised I don't know but it certainly did not paint a good picture.

The bit I thought that was completely wrong was Celebrity cruises stated a long the lines of that crew were not given impossible workloads but then went on to say they are aware of crew paying other crew to help them finish their work. Very worrying.

Edited by Cruisingbairn

Actually instead of having the tips in the fare, I would prefer to see it paid the same way that port charges and taxes are mandatorily added. This way, if a person cancels prior to the cruise, while they would lose their base rate, they would get the tip money back (since they didn't take the cruise in the first place). If they go on the cruise, they cannot go down to GS on the last night claiming some stupid injustice and demand their tips be removed.

Good point.

From a British perspective, it is custom to tip following good service. But I do know that in other cultures tips are part of the main. This is why there are so many debates.

Personally, I find it alien to tip in advance, it doesn't rest well with me because of how I do things at home. However, if I was in America, I would follow the American way. The trouble is, being on a cruise often puts you in the middle of two cultures (eg, American cruise liner sailing out of UK).

Last time we had the tips removed and paid them at the end. My American rellies in law would find that weird, and perhaps mean.

From a British perspective, it is custom to tip following good service. But I do know that in other cultures tips are part of the main. This is why there are so many debates.

Personally, I find it alien to tip in advance, it doesn't rest well with me because of how I do things at home. However, if I was in America, I would follow the American way. The trouble is, being on a cruise often puts you in the middle of two cultures (eg, American cruise liner sailing out of UK).

Last time we had the tips removed and paid them at the end. My American rellies in law would find that weird, and perhaps mean.

Truthfully, I find it silly to waste time standing in line to remove something that you plan to put back on later. That's two trips to GS that involves your time and someone else's (GS member). I don't know if their are laws in the UK that require you to prepay your service charge (Americans normally do not have to prepay but instead have it billed at the end of the cruise) but if there are such laws, I would suggest you just leave them alone and spend the time enjoying your cruise. Just my tuppence. ;)

I think when tips are removed, the staff is notified. I would hope that the level of service provided is adjust accordingly. That way, workers can go above and beyond for other passengers who will show appreciation for their efforts.

No just the opposite i remove the so called tips.And have had excellent service.And after the cruise they get their tips, as long as the service was good.Tips are given not taken.:)

Truthfully, I find it silly to waste time standing in line to remove something that you plan to put back on later. That's two trips to GS that involves your time and someone else's (GS member). I don't know if their are laws in the UK that require you to prepay your service charge (Americans normally do not have to prepay but instead have it billed at the end of the cruise) but if there are such laws, I would suggest you just leave them alone and spend the time enjoying your cruise. Just my tuppence. ;)
You only have to prepay in the UK if you select MTD, just the same as in the US.

For what its worth, it is not standard in America to tip in advance. The only place I am aware of is cruise ships. So the "tipping in advance" really isn't an American custom, more of a cruise ship custom.

No just the opposite i remove the so called tips.And have had excellent service.And after the cruise they get their tips, as long as the service was good.Tips are given not taken.:)

Actually, I'm not surprised. I am lead to believe that worse than no tips would be negative comments on the comment card.

For what its worth, it is not standard in America to tip in advance. The only place I am aware of is cruise ships. So the "tipping in advance" really isn't an American custom, more of a cruise ship custom.

Actually I don't think it's the norm in the cruise line industry either. while they offer the ability to prepay, I doubt many take advantage of that. as noted, only those requesting MTD are required to prepay which I do find silly but then again, it's a choice one makes to book MTD. Personally, I prefer fixed seating as I like to get to know my waiter.

i wonder if anyone got a tip in advance refund for MTD.

How do you mean?? :confused: Such as booking MTD and therefore prepaying your tips and then changed to a fixed dining time so you want to get refunded your pre-payed tips??

How do you mean?? :confused: Such as booking MTD and therefore prepaying your tips and then changed to a fixed dining time so you want to get refunded your pre-payed tips??

yes or just keep mtd but get a refund on advanced tips if you like to tip in cash at the end.

yes or just keep mtd but get a refund on advanced tips if you like to tip in cash at the end.

Have no idea. Haven't tipped in cash since about 2003 and I don't even like the cash process because so many people that provide you service get left high and dry. If they are already pre-payed, just leave them and then give a little something to those who do something extra special for you. Easiest way all around.

I have to be honest, I was very skeptical of forced gratuities as there is absolutely no incentive to give good service (been there, done that worn the hat too many times) and had expected service levels to be lower than otherwise. Boy, was I blown away, especially in the MDR where we had different waiters every night and every one was providing service like there next meal depended on it - amazing. I like many others would like it to be part of the cruise price and added into their wages - that way I wouldn't think twice of giving extra tips.