Review of Alaska Cruise on NCL Pearl - Glacier Bay - May 18-25, 2014 (with photos)

SeahawkSiren

Lovely write up and beautiful pictures. We are boarding the Jewel next May for a 9-day Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

I am concerned about bringing too much (warm) and the right clothing. Would you give tips about what specific items you used the most-especially for excursions?

Thanks, Sue

Lovely write up and beautiful pictures. We are boarding the Jewel next May for a 9-day Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

I am concerned about bringing too much (warm) and the right clothing. Would you give tips about what specific items you used the most-especially for excursions?

Thanks, Sue

I wish I could help you lighten your packing load, but the truth is you should be prepared for everything. I needed almost everything I packed, from heavy coat with a hat and gloves, light jacket, to rain gear. Dressing in layers is key, not just for outdoor temperatures but also for protection from the wind.

The weather was mid to high 50's during the week. The best weather day we had was Glacier Bay (blue sky and sunny) but when the ship was near the glaciers it felt quite a bit colder. And being up top on the outside decks of the ship viewing glaciers when the ship was moving it was windy and cold and I needed my heavy jacket, hat and gloves. But when I was back viewing from my balcony where it is more sheltered I was fine with my t-shirt and no jacket!

Juneau was the only rainy day so needed my rain gear but also my heavy coat because we went up to the top of Mount Roberts (which is about 1,700 feet above Juneau) so it was noticeably colder up there.

Also, everyone is different as far as temperature tolerances and depending on how different Alaska's climate is from where they live. A light jacket was fine for me in Skagway and Ketchikan but I saw others who were dressed with much heavier clothing.

So my advice would be it's better to overpack than underpack. It's better to have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it. :)

I wish I could help you lighten your packing load, but the truth is you should be prepared for everything. I needed almost everything I packed, from heavy coat with a hat and gloves, light jacket, to rain gear. Dressing in layers is key, not just for outdoor temperatures but also for protection from the wind.

The weather was mid to high 50's during the week. The best weather day we had was Glacier Bay (blue sky and sunny) but when the ship was near the glaciers it felt quite a bit colder. And being up top on the outside decks of the ship viewing glaciers when the ship was moving it was windy and cold and I needed my heavy jacket, hat and gloves. But when I was back viewing from my balcony where it is more sheltered I was fine with my t-shirt and no jacket!

Juneau was the only rainy day so needed my rain gear but also my heavy coat because we went up to the top of Mount Roberts (which is about 1,700 feet above Juneau) so it was noticeably colder up there.

Also, everyone is different as far as temperature tolerances and depending on how different Alaska's climate is from where they live. A light jacket was fine for me in Skagway and Ketchikan but I saw others who were dressed with much heavier clothing.

So my advice would be it's better to overpack than underpack. It's better to have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it. :)

Thanks so much for your feedback. Layers and rain gear seem to be the key. The good thing for us is we plan to take a road trip from California to Seattle so we don't really have to worry too much about the weight, etc., since we won't be flying. We are really looking forward to this trip :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

OP, just a word of caution. Your photos of the Mt. Roberts tram show a lot of moisture. Is that the window of the cable car or is it your camera lens? If the cable car, you are okay, if its the camera lens, YOU MAY WANT TO GET YOUR CAMERA CLEANED.

I ruined my camera in Australia just from the humidity in the air, not taking photos in the rain. The insides of the Canon camera actually rusted.