Excursions With A Scooter

Though I'm considering renting a small wheel chair for DH when we do our B2B cruise next summer, I am wondering if a scooter would be a better idea, since I'd have to push the wheel chair.

My concern is for excursions. We do private excursions and I know a wheel chair will fit in the trunk of a car. Do the rental companies have scooters that will also break down and fit in a trunk? Are they easy to lift and break down and set up? I am not very strong and he can't lift hardly anything, but I do know we can handle a wheel chair.

I'd appreciate hearing from others who do private tours with scooters.

Though I'm considering renting a small wheel chair for DH when we do our B2B cruise next summer, I am wondering if a scooter would be a better idea, since I'd have to push the wheel chair.

My concern is for excursions. We do private excursions and I know a wheel chair will fit in the trunk of a car. Do the rental companies have scooters that will also break down and fit in a trunk? Are they easy to lift and break down and set up? I am not very strong and he can't lift hardly anything, but I do know we can handle a wheel chair.

I'd appreciate hearing from others who do private tours with scooters.

A foldable wheelchair is the best for excursions. It can fit in the trunk or back of a van very easily... you did not say where you are cruising..many ports outside of the US do not follow ADA regulations. Which means using a scooter is a real problem. (uneven sidewalks, not cut-outs at the corrner, steps into store's and other attractions) Also you should not take a scooter in the rain or in puddles.

If he needes the w/c on board, then I would advise bringing your own w/c and renting a scooter as long as you have an accessible cabin. Having both on board would really cut down on the space in a regular cabin..Also, Pushing a w/c on the ship can be done but its a real workout on the carpets

There are scooters that fold like a childs stroller, but you did not say how large your husband is, so this may not be an option for him.

I use a scooter on board but always use my w/c for ship/private excursions.

There have been very few times I could have used the scooter.

Have a great cruise

Arlene

Do the rental companies have scooters that will also break down and fit in a trunk? Are they easy to lift and break down and set up? I am not very strong and he can't lift hardly anything, but I do know we can handle a wheel chair.

Mobility scooters are rented based on the weight of the user. Whether or not the scooter rented can be breakdown to fit into a trunk depends the scooter required based on your husbands weight.

Caravactions.com Lightweight and Midsize Scooter rentals and SpecialNeedsatseas Standard Scooter rentals are all from the Pride GoGo series which all easily breakdown to fit into a trunk. Fast forward to the 0.54 second mark on the link below to see just how easily the a Pride GoGo scooter breaks down.

I personally own a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Model . Even with having MS I can break it down and have it packed in my car in about 90 seconds. Anytime I've use a taxi the driver is always willing to assist provided I show him what do.

Disclaimer. The video is just for demonstration purposed. I am not an employee of Pride Mobility nor an employee of the company names in the video.

Edited by xxoocruiser

A foldable wheelchair is the best for excursions. It can fit in the trunk or back of a van very easily... you did not say where you are cruising..many ports outside of the US do not follow ADA regulations. Which means using a scooter is a real problem. (uneven sidewalks, not cut-outs at the corrner, steps into store's and other attractions) Also you should not take a scooter in the rain or in puddles.

If he needes the w/c on board, then I would advise bringing your own w/c and renting a scooter as long as you have an accessible cabin. Having both on board would really cut down on the space in a regular cabin..Also, Pushing a w/c on the ship can be done but its a real workout on the carpets

There are scooters that fold like a childs stroller, but you did not say how large your husband is, so this may not be an option for him.

I use a scooter on board but always use my w/c for ship/private excursions.

There have been very few times I could have used the scooter.

Have a great cruise

Arlene

Thank you so much for your input. My husband is not large. He most probably won't need the wheel chair on board, but for excursions, he definitely will.

We are doing a Baltic cruise followed by a North Atlantic Transatlantic with several ports.

I personally own a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Model . Even with having MS I can break it down and have it packed in my car in about 90 seconds. Anytime I've use a taxi the driver is always willing to assist provided I show him what do.

I own the same scooter and the valet always helps me with it as well. I just tell them how to put it together or take it apart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk