Wine Package - extra charges

Apologies if covered elsewhere.

Today I ordered a wine package for a cruise on the IOS on 28 June. During the order process, the online page, which indicates the price options, showed the 7 bottle package at £118.95. When I clicked on the payment page, it was priced at £152.50 (equivalent to $255).

I couldn't find any information on the RCI site relating to this extra charge, in fact it says that prices include 15% gratuity. So, I rang customer services. Based on the experiences of other posters, I had no great expectations so was not surprised at the response. I politely explained the situation to the disinterested operator and she said "that's correct sir the final price includes gratuities", I pointed out that there was no indication on their site that a gratuity was to be added and that the extra charge was more than 28%, she said that there were also taxes added to the final price. I asked if these extra charges were explained on the RCI website/literature, and she said "Oh yes sir", when I asked to direct me to the relevant page, she put me on hold for 5 minutes before directing me to the Legal Information page and the section on Limited Liability - which is a standard clause and totally irrelevant. At this stage I gave up and ordered.

I would have had no problem if I had been given the full price in the first place, so I can't understand if this is just inefficiency or whether RCI are such cheapskates they have stooped to deliberately misleading their customers.

Anyone else had a similar experience.

The 7 bottle package should have been the equivalent of $220 + 15%, or $253. I don't know how that translates into GBP.

Yes, that's the price I paid. I don't have a problem with that. My issue is that the advertised price is much lower and then they whack 28% on top with no prior explanation/warning.

Yes, that's the price I paid. I don't have a problem with that. My issue is that the advertised price is much lower and then they whack 28% on top with no prior explanation/warning.

I agree, it's not good business. It sounds like Royal has the same problem keeping the UK website accurate as they have with the US website.