uk vs usa booking

canuckinindia

Without going into the details for an upcoming med cruise (July/Aug 2014) i have the option to go with a booking out of the uk or usa travel agent/booking site.

I note that there are price differences, given that i'm now at the 100% payment stage does it make a difference? Just go with the lowest rate or is there some additional benefits typically between countries?

Can I presume that you've not yet booked? If you have, any deposit already paid to a UK agency is forfeit if you don't complete with them

With full payment due, you're only at the mercy of exchange rate fluctuations for a day or two.

Any difference in your bank/card's foreign exchange fees, USD vs GBP?

Does full payment from the US agency include port taxes, as it does in the UK?

In the UK your money is safeguarded in the event of the TA going bust, running off with your money, etc provided that agent is a member of ABTA (Assoc of British Travel Agents). There may be similar cover in the US.

But that's all irrelevant if you pay by CREDIT card, which gives the same safeguards.

In the UK if you pay by credit card rather than debit card there's usually about a 2% fee, that's worth checking with both.

Any differences in gratuities? Included, even on Princess, on some cruises out of Australia

Can't think of anything else, mebbe others can

I'd be surprised if the UK booking were cheaper, unless it is one of the minor Brit lines such as Voyages of Discovery..

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I saved heaps by using a US booking, however, I did need a US address. Initially I had booked with the UK (from a country outside of the UK because that is where my browser pointed me), on booking I checked the T&C and found I had full rerun. A few months later I found it way cheaper via the US so tried to cancel my booking. Had a professional argument with the UK as they said I would have to forfeit my deposit but I said the T&C I was viewing said I could get it all back ( different T&C depending on IP location! Net result was management telephoned me giving me the full refund as I was not in the Uk at the time of booking. At the time I saved about 40% but as the cruise gets closer the price differential between the two countries is much smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk