Diving

bearette

Here is the "official" web site for Cayman Island diving with a list of most of the dive operators on Grand Cayman. Many of them go to stingray city, but depending on when your ship arrives in port, you might not be able to make their departure time. I have gone with http://www.neptunesdivers.com and recommend Casey and Keith. Other dive operators that trusted friends have recommended are Red Baron divers and Off the Wall divers . Neptune's will go to stingray city if requested and the weather conditions allow.

For a shore dive, I'd go to Divetech and dive their near by Turtle farm dive site.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the "official" web site for Cayman Island diving with a list of most of the dive operators on Grand Cayman. Many of them go to stingray city, but depending on when your ship arrives in port, you might not be able to make their departure time. I have gone with www.neptunesdivers.com and recommend Casey and Keith. Other dive operators that trusted friends have recommended are Red Baron divers and Off the Wall divers . Neptune's will go to stingray city if requested and the weather conditions allow.

For a shore dive, I'd go to Divetech and dive their near by Turtle farm dive site.

I will second that. Dove with Casey and Keith in May 05. Done 2 great dive with them. Plus they only take out only 8 divers. We only had 4 divers on the boat, will only 3 one was still doing open water dives.

Later,

ScubaJohn02

Does anyone know how do you find out if these dive ops are certified by PADI/NAUI or if they comply with all PADI/NAUI safety rules? I booked with a dive op non-cruiseline based on some information on this board but I want to make sure they have appropriate certifications, etc.

I think it is more important that the diver comply with their own set of safety rules, be they PADI, NAUI, GUE, SSI or whatever.

With that said, the Cayman Island dive operators association does have guidelines that pretty much all the decent shops follow, such as a max depth or 130ft and no solo diving (which I disagree with personally).

You can check the PADI website to see if the operator in question is listed, or just ask the operator.

I have dived with Don Fosters Dive and they were fine. I had a hard time with it , but the lady helping me managed to get me thru it so that I could dive. It was on their discovery program, but was booked through Royal Caribbean. The fact that the dive master left you is horrible, but the dive buddy leaving you isn't their fault. You just got stuck with a crappy dive buddy. Was your buddy part of another group and was the odd man out so they became your buddy? If so they probably just wanted to be with their group. When did you do this excursion?

The fact that the dive master left you is horrible, but the dive buddy leaving you isn't their fault. You just got stuck with a crappy dive buddy.
Which is one of the reasons I treat every dive like a solo dive, that and because when I dive with my camera, I am that crappy dive buddy.

• 1 month later...

Brucer - I have taken several of your suggestions for combo snorkel and scuba. I am really concerned for my newly certified 12 year old. I have expressed my concern to both Divers Down and Blue Angel and they seem to understand. Any suggestions - I will snorkel at both dives so I am there with him.:confused:

I think you have the bases covered. Both operators will keep an eye on him for you. Being a parent myself, I know how your feel and I think going along to snorkel, or in my case dive, is what I would do. In December we are going to Cozumel and my 10 y/o daughter is going to do a discover scuba, and you can be sure I'll be there with her underwater.

Archived