ATV Adventure

Baxter

We are considering the St Maarten ATV Adventure excursion, but wonder if everyone on the excursion gets their own ATV, or are they paired up? Any info you can provide on this excursion is appreciated!

I would guess that it depends on who you're booking it with...

The cruiseline or a private company?

I think most cruiselines pair you up, where private companies charge you per ATV. They don't care how many are on one as long as it isn't more weight/people than specified on the safety card.

Should have made it clear....it is via the cruise line(Princess in this case)

For the price they are charging, you should be solo- otherwise what's next dbling you up on Horseback? :)

Should have made it clear....it is via the cruise line(Princess in this case)

For the price they are charging, you should be solo- otherwise what's next dbling you up on Horseback? :)

Hi!

I'm also interested in the ATV tour. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I broke down and called Princess. After checking and double-checking, the agent indicated that it was 1 person per ATV. I'm still a bit nervous about it so we pre-reserved it, and will confirm again once we're on the ship.

Thanks for the update. It never occured to me that they could double up on the atvs. I've been trying to find out more info online but no luck. I think I'll follow your lead and book it anyway.

Have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be cruising with my kids in November and they love the ATV tours. We have never been to St.Marten so it would be great to hear from everyone who has done this tour. I'm wondering if the rental company near the pier allows you to go off road or if its only a certain area that you can take the ATV's and if they are the full sized quad models or the slightly smaller ones.

Sandie

I would be very interested in knowing what research and planning has occurred on the part of the interested parties here who plan to do an ATV off road adventure on their own on St. Maarten. (I'd include those booking with the cruise lines, but have to assume that they (the cruise lines) have done some due diligence?)

What experience do they have with the island? What do they know about the vehicles, what do they know about the roads, what do they know about the driving conditions, where do they plan to drive, where do they plan to drive off road? How much insurance will they carry, both for collision and liability? What safety gear is provided?

Just a few questions that popped into my mind in the first 30 seconds of thinking about this.

thanks in advance,

gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I would be very interested in knowing what research and planning has occurred on the part of the interested parties here who plan to do an ATV off road adventure on their own on St. Maarten. (I'd include those booking with the cruise lines, but have to assume that they (the cruise lines) have done some due diligence?)

What experience do they have with the island? What do they know about the vehicles, what do they know about the roads, what do they know about the driving conditions, where do they plan to drive, where do they plan to drive off road? How much insurance will they carry, both for collision and liability? What safety gear is provided?

gary

Personally, I have never been to St. Martin. My family owns a couple of ATV's and we are very familiar with all aspects of driving them. As far as knowing the island it is really not necessary as it is no different than renting a car in an unfamilar city. This also applies to insurance. You can carry your own or you can purchase insurance from the rental company. As far as safety gear- a good pair of goggles and a helmet are first and foremost and socks and runners for your feet are recommended. Usually the helmet is provided by the rental company but its best to bring your own goggles as they may or may not be provided. You can generally get a guide and a map from the rental company. Although I do agree that if you've never driven an ATV it is better to not offroad in the trails. Tours are good for both the unexperienced and experienced. Even with a tour you should check on the insurance coverage as most times, but not always, when you book an ATV tour with the tour operators they make you sign a waiver that it is at your own risk, so you could be potentially better insured if you do it on your own. Usually it is more economical to purchase your insurance at home before you leave but check with your insurance agent to see if there are limitations as to what countries and cities that you are covered in.

Anyone?...................................

Any feedback from anyone who has used Nasa Car Rental by the pier would be appreciated. Thanks

Sandie

We did the ATV Adeventure in St Marteen this past September while sailing on Adventure of Seas (booked thru cruise lines).

There were 6 total who signed up. We ride ATVs here (own 2 Honda 500cc) and ride mountain trails all time and thought it would be fun to ride there.

ATVs were 125cc, automtatic transmission, everyone rode there own. ATVs are licensed with the local government as they have license plates on them.

You have a guide who leads in the front and a guide in a truck following.

You start off riding thru the streets taking in views of the city and ocean where they take you over to the French side of the island. Short stop for pics beside the ocean on a small beach, then they take you on some back roads on dirt trails, then on to a beach where you stop, rest and swim.

After that break, you head on back on your ATV.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the feedback daveky!:)

Has anyone rented from Nasa Car rental by the pier or even know if they still exist. I tried to call the number on the website listed in a previous post (599) 542-8975 but I reached a restaurant in St.Martin instead.:( I also tried calling some of the car rental companies in St. Martin to ask if they knew about renting ATV's from Nasa Car rental but they didn't even seem to know of this company. Any info from anyone with contact info for this company would be appreciated.

Sandie

• 2 weeks later...

My husband went on the ATV Experience thru RCCL when we were on AOS 2 weeks ago -- HE LOVED IT!!! He said it was worth every penny! His ATV stalled, and he ended up in the back of the pack... and then left behind. They finally sent someone back for him and gave him a different one and he got to ride up front with the guides...

He said there were a lot of people on the excursion -- 20 or more. The guides gave them all square scarves to wear over their heads, under the helmets (and he said it was great because it kept the sun from burning his neck). They said (I think) St. Martin Sightseeing Tours -- so you could look it up and see if they book direct.

One note: he brought his old, ratty sneakers expecting that he might have to trash them afterwards... he was RIGHT. When he got back to ship, he was pretty dirty and the sneakers were covered with mud. (They did stop at the beach for about an hour but he's not a "beach person" so he didn't get wet) Definitely bring something you don't mind getting dirty if you plan to do this excursion.

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

This tour was fun and you get to see some beautiful sights!

I enjoyed this shore excursion most of all. It was fun to drive your own ATV and you get to see some beautiful places. You also get to go to Paradise beach for about an hour so you can get lunch or have fun at the beach.

I would recommend wearing something that can get dirty. I wore new sneakers and they are not black. I would ruin another pair sneakers to do it again:)

There are 8 of us on The Mariner on Nov 27. I think my husband and I are thinking of doing the ATV. We do own our own ATV and ride around our farm and in the woods quite often. It is straight drive, so that won't be a problem at all.

Any suggestions? Anyone else on Mariner (Nov 27) doing the ATV?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...
Do any of you guys know if you can hire Quad's independently on any of the following islands: Barbados, Antigua, Tobago, Tortola, St Kitts, St Lucia or Mayreau..???

Thanks!

Don't know about those locations, but 2 yrs ago we cruised Dominica via Pricess, and ATV'd with http://www.avirtualdominica.com/highrideadventures/

Had a blast! Wife's first time on one, and had to buy her one when we got back home. The fellow running the outfit has a dozen kids. After we were finished, he showed us his photo album with pics of Tom Cruise and his group who was just there a week before!

I found out a week ago that our Dec cruise coming up from Carnival had changed the sequence of our POC due to "port congestion", and our ATV ride for St. Maarten got cancelled! Does anyone know how to contact the ATV ride company directly? I need this ride (need the fix for my wife..)

Archived