Passport for 2 year old for DCL

cruisingluv14

Hi!

I was online booking a room with DCL yesterday for a cruise in October. I got to the end and saw a message that they suggest people of all ages have a passport. My husband and I have a passport but our 2 year old does not. I was wondering if we would be ok with just his birth certificate and social security card or if we should just get a passport. I put the cruise "on hold" without making the deposit so I would have time to double check if a passport for our child is really necessary. The ports of call would be Nassau and Castaway Cay. This will be our first Disney cruise and don't want any hiccups.

Thanks so much!:)

As above, the REQUIREMENT is a certified birth certificate. The RECOMMENDATION is a passport. The issue is that should there be a medical emergency or other situation that prevents you from returning to the US on the ship, a passport BOOK will be required (not the passport card). If you don't already have a one, an emergency passport can be issued by a US consulate or embassy, but that means you have more hassle at a time of stress.

Note that all the above responses are for Bahamian/Caribbean cruises. There are DCL cruises that REQUIRE a passport. These are noted on the web site when you attempt to book.

This is true. Any cruise that is not a closed loop cruise (Panama Canal, Repo cruise, etc) would require a passport.

All of the European sailings would also need a passport, but you would also need a passport to fly to Europe to embark anyway.

This question comes up all the time.

No, technically you do not NEED one. But, unless the cost is a budget buster, anytime you leave the US you should HAVE one for every traveller.

The odds are it will sit in the safe the whole time and never be used until you get back. But on the off chance there is an issue (medical problem, issue with the ship, family emergency back home, etc) you will face significant additional challenges if you do not have one.

One of my TA's clients broke her leg in the Bahamas, badly. Older lady, had to stay overnight. Only had BC/ID. Had to stay in the Bahamas at her expense 4 extra days until they could get her a passport to fly home. Until that point she had probably 20 carib r/t cruises without an incident, but when she needed it, she needed it.

Think of it as another form of trip insurance.

Edited by Loonbeam

This question comes up all the time.

No, technically you do not NEED one. But, unless the cost is a budget buster, anytime you leave the US you should HAVE one for every traveller.

The odds are it will sit in the safe the whole time and never be used until you get back. But on the off chance there is an issue (medical problem, issue with the ship, family emergency back home, etc) you will face significant additional challenges if you do not have one.

One of my TA's clients broke her leg in the Bahamas, badly. Older lady, had to stay overnight. Only had BC/ID. Had to stay in the Bahamas at her expense 4 extra days until they could get her a passport to fly home. Until that point she had probably 20 carib r/t cruises without an incident, but when she needed it, she needed it.

Think of it as another form of trip insurance.

And this is EXACTLY the point--the difference between the legal requirement for the cruise (will get you back into the US IF you return on the ship to the same port as departure) and the RECOMMENDATION which will cover all extenuating circumstances.

Our daughter will be just shy of two when we sail next May and we had the same dilemma. We decided to go ahead and get her a passport for the aforementioned reasons. I feel better having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it :)

• 4 weeks later...

Age is totally irrelevant here, though. For a closed loop cruise, for a US citizen, a 99 year old can travel with a birth certificate and ID. OK age is relevant in that the under-16 year old doesn't have to have an ID, but they can still travel with the BC.

And if there's an emergency, the tiniest baby who needs to get home by plane will need that passport book. So if dad has an emergency and the baby needs a passport, mom will have to stay behind while dad flies off, so that mom can get baby the passport. If baby has the emergency I don't even want to think about it.

If someone at home is the one with the emergency and the family needs to get back, you'll be splitting up or everyone is waiting.

(in my particular family, though, we're totally out of touch on a cruise so wouldn't even know of the emergency at home)

Just to note, if you need your passport and it's sitting in the safe on the ship it does you no good. I personally don't get one for my kids but understand why one would. I assume the cruise ship can leave it with port authorities if needed? For example you're in the hospital and the ship needs to leave w/o you.

In the event of an emergency, a member of the purser staff as well as a security officer will go to your cabin and get passports and any other requested items from the safe (as well as the room).

If you have not checked in with the ship and they need to sail, they will get only your passports/ID and leave that with port officers.

Just to note, if you need your passport and it's sitting in the safe on the ship it does you no good. I personally don't get one for my kids but understand why one would. I assume the cruise ship can leave it with port authorities if needed? For example you're in the hospital and the ship needs to leave w/o you.

On the Navigator for each port day there is a company name and phone number listed as "Ship's Agent." This is the local number you would contact to notify the ship of an emergency you encountered on shore. As noted, if you were hospitalized, jailed, or whatever, DCL officers will obtain your passport and other documents from your stateroom and deliver them to you.

Whether or not to take your passport on shore....well, even DCL's recommendations vary. In some ports, it is mandatory (but these are the ones on cruises that require passports). Most of the Caribbean and Bahamian ports have no such requirements. What you should always take with you is the Navigator or at least that section that lists the "ship's agent."