need help to decide ASAP celebrity vs. carnaval

irkutsk

I need help to decide Asap what ships to take for a holiday cruise on cristmas- we are holding a cabin for a 12 night cruise on galaxy for 4-3 adults and one teen in the same cabin. Price was very right for a 3 and 4 person.so we put it on hold and still could cancell. I just found a very good deal on carnaval valor or conqest that we could have 2 rooms for a 7 day cruise and still save over $1000. the problem is we never cruise on carnaval. after cruising on celebrity millenium, royal carribean radiance and explorer , holland america zaandam and zuiderdam--all new and classy ships I am not sure that carnaval culture would be appealing. Also, it would be a first cruise for my 72 y old mother and i want her to enjoy herself. I am concern that on celebrity we will be way too cramped in our inside cabin for 4. Any thoughts from people who cruise on both lines? Also , if we will go with carnaval-which ship-valor or conquest? thank you

Wow, sounds like you are facing the same dilemma I just faced and made a decision about. We were booked on Celebrity Constellation for Xmas, Southern sailing out of San Juan. But, the airfares are so darn high I couldn't justify spending more for a the plane ride to get to a 7 day cruise. than the cruise itself. We are coming from Seattle and could have flown to Asia or Europe cheaper than San Juan. I agonized over the decision and finally came to the conclusion the Carnival Valor, sailing 12/25, meets our needs. It's a new ship, has had many good reviews, an itinerary that pleases us, and something to do for the entire family, a 12 year old boy, 2 young single adult men, and my husband and I who like to be entertained but also like our peace and quiet.

Honestly, we've sailed Carnival only once before, the Inspiration, and weren't thrilled though not unhappy either. Ship is getting old and looks it though food was good and we did relax. But, at the price we got for the Valor, and because it's a new ship and seems most people are pleased, we decided to go for it. Our trip is now $4000.00 less than what the Constellation would have been including airfare. Totally worth it to me.

Regarding staterooms, Carnival does have good size staterooms - often bigger than Royal's.

One of my older sons said it best as I was agonizing over the decision "Mom, the important thing is we'll all be together at Xmas and that in itself is fun. And, how can we not have fun on a cruise?"

We've also sailed Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Disney and I do know each cruiseline has had good things about it, and things that aren't so good. Seek out the positives and ignore the negatives.

iwe have been on celebrity b5 times. we will be on carnival n sept. i think 2 cabins r better than 1. even though u will not b in the cabin much u will b n @the same time. celebrity has changed also over the last few years. i think it's more elegant than carnival, but i think that's 2 much togetherness.

Carnival is more laid back and more glittery (like Vegas) than Celebrity and usually there is a different group of people that are a little more laid back. I personally perfer this. I took my father in law with us on Carnival Elation out of Galveston (he is not up to flying) and he loved it. Both Carnival ships you are looking at are newer ships and should be in real good shape. I think the Celebrity ship is actually older that you are looking at. Christmas is typically a higher price cruise and will probably be reflected in the people cruising. Just me but my privacy can make or break a cruise so I would choose the 2 cabins on Carnival. I've always found quiet places on Carnival and have been able to find places with people if that is my mood. It will not be as "classy" but then again my father in law and his wife were so impressed with the Elation and how "pretty" she was.... :) :) What ever you decide have a great time. I have been on 6 RCL cruises as well but not on Celebrity. With all that said I think the route you are looking at on Celebrity is the Panama Canal? That is a great cruise - we did full transit on an RCL ship 9 years ago and would recommend going to see it. :) Debbie

My Mom is 79 (going to be 80 next month) and LOVES Carnival, all crew and staff treat her like their own Grandmother, with tender loving care, by the end of each cruise most are calling her Grandma or Mama.............she loves it and can't wait for the next cruise, which is Christmas Day on the Pride and we are already talking about next year and 2007 even.

I don't think you can have a bad cruise no matter which line you choose, it's what you make of it that matters.

We've been on both and have enjoyed both. With such a large group, I would definitely go for the 2 rooms. We've never had a bad time on Carnival or Celebrity. Truthfully, any problems we had were handled better on Carnival then on Celeb. Carnival is more of a Funship, just as it states, which can be refreshing. It's alittle more entertaining. Good luck!

I agree with all the posts of being more "laid back" on Carnival. I've been on the Legend and the Conquest, and have also cruised on Celebrity and Holland (the Zaandam like yourself). I know it's not fair to compare lines, but I felt like a queen on the Zaandam as far as service goes, and the food was much better than Carnival. Although, Carnival is a fun ship that large groups can enjoy because of all the activities. Don't compare it or else you'll end up disappointed...they're too different!

Archived