Explorer OTS Aug 2015

This is our first family cruise, pre kids we've been on 2 Princess cruises but that was 10+ years ago.

We are from the UK and are sailing from Southampton for a Mediterranean cruise for 14 nights. We have quite a few days at sea, so chance to enjoy the ship, and some ports we haven't seen before. The kids will be DS11 and DD6 at the time we cruise, so anyone with experience of cruising with kids of similar ages and using the ships facilities would be appreciated. DS is very shy and not into sports much, but I would like him to make use of the kids clubs.

I know that we can book, drinks packages (probably not for us) and shore excursions (advise on DIY), but what else do we need to know?

I'll probably have more detailed questions at some point in the future but just want to understand the basics first.

Although we're from the UK I booked via a US TA, much cheaper than here and with better T&Cs.

My DD first participated in the kids clubs starting at age 9 and continued on in the clubs each time we cruised through age 16. It seems to me that the ages of 11-13 she made more friends on the ship and kept in contact with them after the cruise.

I don't know if your kids are into arcade games, but set limits on what they can spend daily or weekly because they will be able to use their seapass cards to play (dangerous to run up some bills for kids).

The 11 year old will be able to sign himself out of the club, so just make sure you have guidelines or backup plans (we used post it notes on the mirror in the cabin as to where we were). This way you can always know where he is and what he's up to.

I'm sure they will have a great time.

• 6 months later...

Hi, merry Christmas to you and your family. Our two girls will be 7 and 11 when we board in August. Our advice is just enrol them into kids club and let things just happen. RCL are so organised so no need to worry. Rather concentrate on the port day excursions. We very seldom use the ships organised tours as they are so expensive. Maybe we can book some group tours.

Cruising has changed so much in 10 years, we absolutely love it. Recently we have tried a few other lines but are back with RCL. In April we took the girls to the Canaries during half term with P&O. By the second day we wanted to hop off but we eventually got used to them so it was not a complete disaster.

August seems so far off yet we are all so excited. The girls got walkie talkies from Santa for the ship - shows how crazy we are 😂

Chat again later.

Warwick and family (Christchurch)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I have heard about the all inclusive package, we were not offered this when we booked some months back. I have mailed our agent to find out more.

If all else fails I will contact RCL directly.

I suppose it's all relative to the base price paid, after we booked RCL increased the onboard credits so our agent tried rebooking our cruise, but the overall price was more.

Brian

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

We paid $8066.00 for a H ocean view stateroom on deck 2. (2 adults and 2 children)

This includes gratituities, but does not seem to have the all inclusive extras included.

So how does this compare to others? Would be interesting to see if there is any standard in the pricing.

Geezer looks like we were ripped off

It works out pretty much the same as you paid, but we are only taking the 1 child. My first cabin was balcony deck 8 but the price was £6800. I understand deck 6 balconies have metal barrier rather than glass but to save 1500 was a no brainer.

sean

Edited by the griswolds

Just checked my invoice. We've paid $7,186 for 2 inside cabins on deck 7, for 2 adults and 2 children, which at the current rate is £4740. This includes gratuities but no drinks.

We went for the 2 cabins as the 3rd & 4th person fees were the same as one cabin. I looked at balcony cabins but couldn't work the same deal.

In comparison this is a similar price to a package holiday in Majorca.

Just checked my invoice. We've paid $7,186 for 2 inside cabins on deck 7, for 2 adults and 2 children, which at the current rate is £4740. This includes gratuities but no drinks.

We went for the 2 cabins as the 3rd & 4th person fees were the same as one cabin. I looked at balcony cabins but couldn't work the same deal.

In comparison this is a similar price to a package holiday in Majorca.

Been looking at our ports, seems the 2 that would need some form of excursion are Rome and Florence. We try not to use the ships tours as they are expensive. Search http://www.joebananalimos.net/index.html

They have a great review on trip adviser.

We are in a family suite on this same cruise out of Southampton. Its our first proper cruise as a family. Our booking price included gratuities and the drinks package. The room was not cheap, but the ages of our kids made it difficult to book regular cabins.

I am hoping that the room gets a refurb as part of the refreshment programme, since it looks slightly shabby, and we were unable to get onto the Anthem for its similar cruise!

Edited by takowasabi