Grand Bazaar shuttle

We have been to Istanbul twice - both times on Celebrity ships….. there was no shuttle offered on either. Of course that doesn't mean that they don't offer it now but I doubt it. They would much prefer to sell you an expensive tour.

BTW: The tram will take you there faster, easier and cheaper than a shuttle.

The traffic can be horrendous in Istanbul but the tram goes down the middle of the road (the one right outside the port exit) and does not stop for lights etc…..only stops at the designated tram stops and then briefly. We have used it exclusively while on both trips. It is very safe (always keep on eye on your purse/valuables - no matter where you are) and plan to use it again on our next visit there in early May 2015.

On the tram map diagrams, showing the names of the stops, most are in Turkish (Western script) but the Grand Bazaar stop has it written in Englsih as well. You need turkish lire coins for the ticket machines.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

On the tram map diagrams, showing the names of the stops, most are in Turkish (Western script) but the Grand Bazaar stop has it written in Englsih as well. You need turkish lire coins for the ticket machines.

There are ATMs everywhere !!!!! We found one literally right outside the port exit. Look for the British flag for English. We got @ $200.00 U.S. in lira as we were overnight in Istanbul and then our next stop was Kusadasi (also lira). I didn't have any left over after Kusadasi ;)

As for the tram stops….. remember which one is closest to your ship. There is no "pier" but rather a long dock area that the ship pulls in alongside. Sometimes the NEAREST tram stop is actually the opposite direction from the historic area. But they are not that far apart so no big deal unless you have walking issues. Some people even walk into the historic area….. but not me :eek: I find I do enough walking on these port intensive cruises without walking needlessly !