Where does NCL port?

carmel

I think I'm confused. All this time, I thought I would be able to go to Mahogany Bay but I'm coming in on NCL SUN.

I guess my first confusion is.......is the port the same but just the beach (Mahogany Bay) only offered to CCL? Or, does CCL CL and port at entirely different places. If so, where?

Anyone know about how far NCL's port is to, say, Turquoise Bay? I was trying to estimate time/$$ from Mahogany but now I have to refigure. Is there anything at the port where NCL lets out?

You will dock at Coxen Hole , closer to West Bay beach , and farther to Turquoise Bay than from Mahogany Bay, but Coxen is much better for catching your ride, less walking than MB. It would be about 40 min to Turquoise Bay and about 30 to West Bay. We were at Turquoise in March...There are shops right by the ship and a bunch more right out on the street.

Edited by TXSAIL

You will dock at Coxen Hole , closer to West Bay beach , and farther to Turquoise Bay than from Mahogany Bay, but Coxen is much better for catching your ride, less walking than MB. It would be about 40 min to Turquoise Bay and about 30 to West Bay. We were at Turquoise in March...There are shops right by the ship and a bunch more right out on the street.

Okay - I guess I'll research the beaches around West Bay. I want a tranquil one.

Thanks

Hi. Tranquility is the reason we went to Turquoise Bay on our last visit...No Vendors...Had the place practically to ourselves..Maybe you saw the other thread re: Mahogany Bay where I posted pictures. West Bay is the place if you want to swim or snorkel from shore, but there are vendors.

Yes - I had Turquoise Bay on my very short list but am a little concerned about taxi fares as there are 5 of us in my family.

Nevermind - I saw where we can do an excursion through Turquoise Bay Resort!

I'm much more familiar with the east Carib and this is only my 2nd time on the west. So, all of these things are mixing up in my brain. I even had it bookmarked from your last thread!!!!! UGH. I need another cruise.

You'll make it..Just remember if you go to Turquoise Bay, it is beautiful, but the water does have grass. One other tip, of all our Roatan trips before we never needed bug spray, even though I saw several warnings. This time we did,so take some along, and don't wait for a sand flea to bite you first....Enjoy Roatan...:)

You'll make it..Just remember if you go to Turquoise Bay, it is beautiful, but the water does have grass. One other tip, of all our Roatan trips before we never needed bug spray, even though I saw several warnings. This time we did,so take some along, and don't wait for a sand flea to bite you first....Enjoy Roatan...:)

Yeah - the whole grass-in-the-water thing is a downside. My idea would be Turquoise Bay with no grass. I love white sand and clear water but also love very low crowds and no watersports/blaring radios. I admit, I get a bit skeeved when something brushes against my leg underwater. Whether it be grass or otherwise.

Can't believe I type a whole page and lost it..Grrrr$#@### Anyway, here goes again..You can walk out of the pier area and there will be a bunch of guys to negotiate transportation with where you pay them AFTER you are returned to the ship..They will bargain as they all need a tour. This may seem crazy to you, but if you walk out to the street from the pier area at Coxen, make a right and go just a bit you will usually see a white center console boat there belonging to my friend, Larry Gale, the harbor security guy. He was nice enough to take us for a ride once. Anyway, about 1 1/2 yrs ago he hooked us up with Witsell James , a wonderful man who has a large van, and he took us for a good price....Larry knows everybody there and may could help you get a good deal. I will post his photo next, and Witsell, who is on the right.Will do it after this so I don't lose it again. Witsell recommended Argentine Grill on West Bay which is the last photo. Beer was good price, food decent, and $10 beach chair charge..If you do see Larry tell him Buddy from Texas recommended you talk to him and I will see him in November..Thanks

Edited by TXSAIL

One more question about the sea grass....

Is it possible to avoid it in areas? I mean, can you stand on the shore and look out and say, 'hey, there is a 25' width with no sea grass'?

I have a toddler and and a pre-teen. When we go in the water, we usually walk out to about chest high and float or wade around for a bit. We don't cover much area. So if we could find an area without much grass, that would be fine. Having some grass there would be cool because I do do a little snorkeling.

Also, is there grass up to the shoreline? My girls like to build a castle right at the shoreline and I usually float around looking for shells right there.

Hope my questions don't seem strange, LOL.

I also looked into Parrot Tree Plantation. It is more of a lagoon but looks like there is no sea grass. Am just wondering if that along with a Victor Bodden private tour would be better.

THANKS!!

Hi. It is not all that bad as far as grass. Here are a couple of photos. They may have been with the others ? The sand beach is fine..Myself, I could swim there with no problem..I have not been to parrot Tree , but I do recommend Bodden..Hope it all works out for you. We are leaving Saturday for Playa Del Carmen for a 6 night AI...

SANY2738.jpg

[/url]

SANY2739.jpg