Drink of the Day and Mango Tango Question

OK, I know I'm crazy (just ask my family) :) , but I really want to collect all the glasses (not to mention drink!) the Drink of the Day when I'm on the Jewel next year. So please tell me a) what was your favorite DOD; b) what the heck is a Mango Tango; and c) how in the world am I going to get all those glasses home? :D

Thanks everyone!

Don't know what is in a Mango Tango, just know that they are goooood!!!!

As for getting the glasses home, take only really old clothes and after wearing them give or throw away. That leaves lots of room in the suitcase.

Or you could just take a tote bag and some bubble wrap for the glasses. :rolleyes:

Hey Stiches,

The DOD were fun:D

My favourites were the Goombay Smash

- which is lots of different kinds of rum, pineapple and orange juices (sometimes a little lime too) and grenadine

and the Bahama Mama

-which also has rum and I'm not sure what else but it is good!

The Mango Tangos, which are also yummy are 1/2 mango daiquiri 1/2 pina coloda. Miami Vice is the same thing but with strawberry daiquiri subsituted.

I never got the DOD glasses but from what I can remember they all looked the same and were plastic- good if you wanted a set of glasses but they were nothing fancy.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong, as again I never got the glass.

Cheers and happy sipping,

a)Mango Tango was my favorite! I also loved the strawberry margheritas.:) I did not care as much for the Bahama Mama, though... wished I had another Mango Tango!

b)A Mango Tango is yummy... that is all I know. I know someone else will post with the exact ingredients. I don't really care as long as it tastes good!

c) To bring home the glasses, put them in your carryon. Take a tee shirt and stuff part of it into the glass and then wrap the rest of the shirt around the drink. Then make sure that they are secure in your bag and not moving around too much. Ours made it back no problem this way.

Have fun planning your cruise!!!

I loved the Mango Tango, especially made in Boleros where they substituted Casaba. Ok, I definitely spelled that Casaba word wrong, but it's a specialty liquor that is clear, tastes like tequila and has a red scorpion on the bottle. If you're looking at the Bolero's menu, it's listed on the left hand side on the bottom of the page (wow, did I spend too much time there or what??!!).

I love the specialty glasses that you can get on the last sea day. They're glass, sort of like a squatty martini glass in shape. They have a blue base and a wide blue rim with a swirl stripe of either yellow, green, orange, or red running through the non-blue part. DH and I are now proud owners of a set of 6 (thank you Boleros). They have a small round Crown and Anchor glass emblem permanently attached to the inside top rim of the glass. They're very nice. You can easily use them again. The blue happens to match all my regular glasses and dishes, so they've become part of my kitchen.

The plastic ones? They're a bit of a pain in that they take up space, you have to be careful they don't break, and then they end up being dust collectors anyway.

If you are planning on bringing a cooler for sodas, water bottles, or whatever ;), you could use the "empty" cooler at cruise's end to fill with your souvinirs:)

I have heard that others pack a suitcase within their suitcase to cring home their souvinirs... sounds good to me! SOme of the "glasses" will be plastic, as I don't believe they serve glass poolside. Last year on the Rhapsody, I did get "glass" DOD glasses, but they were purchased at a bar inside. Anybody else confirm this?

Have fun!

A~ :)

PS... IMHO, you ARE crazy if you bring home a DOD from every day... What on earth are you planning on doing with them? Remember, they are sometimes unusually shaped and won't always fit in the cabinets at home! ;) (I guess you can figure out how I know this... ) May want to consider the after dinner DOD which comes in a little loving cup... much more managable for toting home, as well as storage once you get there.

We brought home about 5 of the DOD martini-shaped glasses with the blue swirl through them. They are great for serving ice cream or fruit to guests after dinner. We just wrapped them in our dirty clothes and threw them in our checked luggage. Arrived home with them all intact. Had we known we were going to be purchasing them, I might have brought some bubble wrap or a spare bag to carry them home in.

Now I want a mango tango....only five more weeks.

BTW, you can make a mock mango tango at home using frozen pina colada mix and mango flavored rum. :D

Now see that's why I came to this board... you can learn something positive every day! :) I definitely didn't know that the "glasses" were plastic :eek: ... didn't know that they were "unusally shaped" and might not fit in cabinets back home... but am thrilled to learn that DODs are all yum; that I may be able to buy glass ones at the bar inside (on Rhapsody, I asked if I could have the glass I was drinking from and the waiter "gave" me a wrapped, clean one... I know, I know, lucky me!) :) ; and hopefully the "squatty" martini glass DD spoke about with the C&A emblem will still be available. Hot dang!

Love the bubble wrap/dirty clothes tip and thanks for the recipe!! Double yum!! :D

I love mango tango's also, but BBC's are my favorite!! 1.)The blue glasses with the swirls are glass not plastic, if you buy enough of them they will give you special rcl boxes to bring them home in! When we were on the majesty, DH & I had 8 - yes 8 of them on (on a 3 day cruise) and we have a very nice glass collection to remember the high seapass account bill with!!! They gave us these blue rcl boxes that were made to carry the blue & yellow or orange striped glasses home in!

I forgot - another great DOD glass was the insulated thermos mug. We also got a couple of those and my husband uses them every day for coffee on his drive to work.

Harding - that is good to know. I get the feeling we may end up with a few more of those glasses in September.

I agree about the nice specialty glasses, but the plastic are a pain, unless you have a pool, then they are great. On one of the formal nights they do a after dinner liquor with dessert in a keeper glass that we bought and the glass in Boleros was nice.

A note about the DOD, once you have the first one in the keeper glass or if you do not want the keeper glass you can ask for the DOD in a regular cup and it is cheaper. You can also ask for it to be made with a call liquor (Barcardi) and it is not as watered down. They will do this for you for no extra charge.

Remember the tip is included in the drink price, but to get cozy with the bartender, take some dollar coins to give direct to him and he will treat you right.

Great idea Lou!

I was going to suggest asking for a box from the liquor store, they gave me one to tote my glasses home, but now someone says the BARTENDER will give you a box designed to take these glasses home, I will definitely do that in Sept.!

One of the people in our group was collecting the glasses and the waiter by the pool brought her the box they came in. Remember drinks in the special glasses are much more expensive (double the price). I bought mine when they had the insulated cup and cleaned it and reused it over and over. If you like to drink your frozen drink slowly this is the best way. It really stays frozen for a long time.

Do you happen to remember what drink was served in the insulated thermous container? I would love to have a few of those.

A few days into the cruise, they were serving the DOD poolside in these mugs instead of in the swirl glasses.

One of the people in our group was collecting the glasses and the waiter by the pool brought her the box they came in. Remember drinks in the special glasses are much more expensive (double the price). I bought mine when they had the insulated cup and cleaned it and reused it over and over. If you like to drink your frozen drink slowly this is the best way. It really stays frozen for a long time.

I plan to bring my own insulated cup from home to use for drinking because that's what I like to use when it's hot out. Would the bartenders put the DOD in my own cup.....does anyone know?

De:)

My favorite is probably the mango tango, but I like any of them made with either rum or tequila. No idea what's in it other than mango ice. I kept asking for them last year on the Brilliance, but not all of the bars had the mango mix. I also like the Love Connection, which is Pina Colada, Strawberry Daquiri, and Mango Tango layered in a tall glass.

For bringing the glasses home, rinse them out well and stuff t-shirts in them for padding.

.... On one of the formal nights they do a after dinner liquor with dessert in a keeper glass that we bought ...[/Quote]

Actually, they have a different after dinner liquor EACH night. Most nights were something mixed with Bailey's. At least they had 7 on The Rhapsody last June, and 7 on The Radiance in April ;)

A~:)

The glasses sound wonderful, but can you get the DOD without the alcohol in it and is it cheaper?

I know I am weird, but alcohol to me taste like drinking Nyquil cough syrup.

I have dranks some sparkling wines that are okay, but other wise, I get wine for hubby for his heart. He likes to drink about a glass everyother day.

But I would love to have at least one glass to keep for memorys sake.

Jly

I traveled home with two glass and one plastic drink glasses. I packed them with my tee shirts wrapped around them and tucked into the other clothes. But guess which one broke? Yup, the plastic one!

I also got a "Creamsicle" drink in an insulated RC travel coffee mug at the pool. It was nine dollars but I had a "buy one souvenir glass get one free" coupon so I was able to come home with two mugs.. (one had the drink and the free one didn't)

Susan

Enchantment 4/01

Adventure 5/05

Serenade 4/06

Archived