Photography Question

navybaby1113

What lenses did you take with you to Alaska? I'm thinking about purchasing a new one, but not sure what I want.

RENT! What you take to Alaska will probably be different than your normal use patterns, so don't limit yourself to what you can afford to buy.

On our first Alaska cruise, we (both my wife and I shoot as "addicted hobbyist" photographers on Canon) took four cameras and our 16-35/2.8, 24-105/4IS, 70-200/2.8IS. We rented an EF-S 10-22, a 100 Macro, and a 500/4IS. The 500 was GREAT but got heavy on the trip home. The 16-35 may not have gotten used at all.

On our second Alaska cruise, I "dedicated" our 40D and the 10-22 for time-lapse photography from the balcony. We took three cameras and our 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/4IS. We rented another camera (I wanted to play) and the 14/2.8, 100 Macro, 400/4DO (super light weight for a 400/4) and a 1.4x TC. Oddly, I think the 16-35 may not have gotten used at all.

For our next Alaska cruise, we'll be taking five cameras (I'm hogging three of them) and our 14/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 24-105/4IS, 70-200/4IS, 70-200/4, 100 Macro, and 300/4IS. I expect to change my rental reservation at least somewhat before we leave, but it currently includes a Zeiss 15/2.8 (or I'll take the 16-35...), a 200-400/4IS (with built-in 1.4x TC), and a 600/4IS plus a 1.4x TC (I really think I'm going to skip the 600/4IS and TC as it'll be too much to carry). I'm planning to head out with 200-400, 70-200/4, and 24-70 mounted, and either the Zeiss 15 or Canon 16-35 in a pouch. That way, I've got a complete range on me with minimal lens swaps (200-400 or wide-angle, everything else stays put). It'll leave my wife with 14/2.8, 24-105/4, 70-200/4IS, and optional 300/4 and 100 Macro.

Another vote for renting instead of buying! We're leaving for Alaska in a few weeks and I'm narrowing down which lenses to bring. I shoot Nikon so I'll be bringing a D7100 and a D90 body. My lenses will prob be my Sigma 10-20, my 24-70 2.8 and my 50 1.8.

I usually rent from borrowlenses.com and needed a long lens that wouldn't be too heavy to lug around all day so I picked a 80-400 4.5-5.6. On a DX camera, that'll give me about 600mm at the long end. Hoping that'll be plenty of reach!

Jim

Unless you are a camera enthusiast, renting a good camera will leave you basically scratching your head. If you are a beginner with camera, get a decent point and shoot. They take remarkable pixs and are so simple to use.

If you do know a lot about cameras, I still don't see the point of renting. You will have your own good equipment. If you don't have what you might like, go out and buy it. if you love cameras and photography, you will always find uses for such items.

As far as to what to take, something with a very good zoom, either a good point and shoot or a interchangeable lens with about 200-300 zoom.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Unless you are a camera enthusiast, renting a good camera will leave you basically scratching your head. If you are a beginner with camera, get a decent point and shoot. They take remarkable pixs and are so simple to use.

If you do know a lot about cameras, I still don't see the point of renting. You will have your own good equipment. If you don't have what you might like, go out and buy it. if you love cameras and photography, you will always find uses for such items.

As far as to what to take, something with a very good zoom, either a good point and shoot or a interchangeable lens with about 200-300 zoom.

Cheers

Len

I take it you don't know very much about quality camera lenses, eh? Some of the L series Canon lenses could set you back $2000 or more, for just one lens. It's much more cost effective to rent then purchase something you may only use a few times a year. My daughter is a professional portrait photographer and has a good assortment of lenses. When she does wedding she'll often rent another L series zoom lens that otherwise she'd have no use for. Rent, try them out and then send them back.

When I did my first Alaska cruise, I owned lenses up to 200mm, but rented a lens at 500mm and loved it. That lens was $7500 at the time. The next time I shot with anything longer than 200mm was my second Alaska cruise, when I rented a 400mm and a 1.4x TC (so 560mm effectively); that lens is $6500. Not only did I have no (apparent) use for a 500mm lens, I didn't even pick the same lens the next time I used something that big. So why buy it?

And with all due respect, point & shoots have their niche, but if you have clue on how to use a DSLR, the DSLR results will blow away the P&S in Alaska. If nothing else, the much larger sensor creates the ability to blur the background in ways that are simply impossible with a P&S. Layer in the much faster autofocus, faster reaction time, and (potentially) faster frame rate, and it's a done deal.

That's fine. I still stand by what I said. If the poster that asked about what lenses to take was a professional photographer, he wouldn't have to ask.

I can see a pro renting a valuable lens for a special occasion, but the average tourist, who knows something about photography wouldn't need a $2500 lens.

Cheers

Len

That's fine. I still stand by what I said. If the poster that asked about what lenses to take was a professional photographer, he wouldn't have to ask.

I can see a pro renting a valuable lens for a special occasion, but the average tourist, who knows something about photography wouldn't need a $2500 lens.

You're welcome to your opinion just as much as the rest of us should be welcome to ours. We know that the OP is not a "professional" photographer, or they wouldn't be asking on a cruise board for lens selection advice. Further, he was asking what to take to Alaska, which suggests that a trip to Alaska is not something they've done before, nor have they done this sort of travel frequently.

That said, the average tourist might have an assortment of lenses suitable for their typical tourist trips, but might not have the right lenses to take to Alaska, where there are both wide open spaces and lots of wildlife in every corner. They might have consumer-grade lenses and recognize that their photography could be improved with a higher-grade lens (it's the lens that matters, not the camera, so even an amateur CAN see a benefit from better lenses), and there are lots of likely candidates in the $1600-$2500 range that make sense for Alaska. Perhaps a 70-200/2.8 IS, to gain the depth-of-field and/or faster focusing of an f/2.8 lens. Perhaps a 100-400 IS, to gain the functional wildlife range that their existing 55-250 or whatever just can't match.