Half Moon Cay

RYPERO

I am looking into what to plan for Half Moon Cay. Can you rent bikes, or paddle boats? Can you go for walks in land? Any information would be great.

Carnival Pride 2/08/04
Carnival Pride 2/03
Inspiration 1/02
Ecstasy 5/01

I think there is a shore excursion on bikes. You can rent paddle boats, ride the banana boat, etc. There is also some kind of guided hike. Check the HAL web site for what options are available.

However, I can't think of anything more relaxing or beautiful than the walk along the beach, followed by a swim, then a nap in one of the hammocks with perhaps a beer. It's an awesome beach.

--Cactuslady
Prinsendam 9/20/04 soon!
Statendam 2003
Ryndam 2002
Veendam 2002
Maasdam 2001
Dana 24 sailboat 1989-1999

Does anyone know if you can rent a Cabana the day you arrive or do you have to reserve it in advance?

HAL Zuiderdam 7/03/04 Honeymoon cruise
Carnival Pride 2/08/04
Carnival Pride 2/03
Inspiration 1/02
Ecstasy 5/01

Hello,

For the cabanas, you must reserve in advance. Onboard, you will do this through the Shore Excursions Office. It is especially important to do it early if you are going to be in HMC with another HAL ship, because they will split the cabanas between ths ships.

I was able to reserve the Orange cabana for our December cruise a few weeks ago via ship services at HAL. It will be a nice way to spend a long day on HMC!

Happy Cruising!

7/04 Ryndam Alaska B2B
12/04 Rotterdam Panama Canal

RCCL x2(1999), Volendam (2000), Millinneum (2000), Veendam (2001), Disney (2001), Statendam (2003), Amsterdam (2003)

Yes, book them in advance. I just booked mine today. I had a pretty wide choice for July 17.
They are $214.00. You call 1-800-541-1576
Ship services. Have your booking number and Credit card number ready. They bill you right away.

Included is tender tickets, refridgerator, ceiling fan, air-conditioning, snacks, table 4 chairs and two lounges on the porch.

Julie

Zuiderdam 07/04
Maasdam 08/02

The price for the Cabanas have gone up then... I rented one a few weeks ago for $179....seems like a pretty steep increase in a month:/

Happy Cruising!

7/04 Ryndam Alaska B2B
12/04 Rotterdam Panama Canal

RCCL x2(1999), Volendam (2000), Millinneum (2000), Veendam (2001), Disney (2001), Statendam (2003), Amsterdam (2003)

A moderate walk from the dock will take you to lounges and hammocks in the shade of Australian pines.

I think HMC is more of a relax-at-the-beach day than an excursion port, though the parasailing does look like fun.

Rick

We had the pink cabana earlier this month . . . it included two floats as well as unlimited rum punch, soda and water . . . all day long.(Snacks . . . fruit, chips and salsa, veggies and dips . . .) Air conditioning, fan, chairs and table for four, chaise lounges, and shower.
I am surprised that the fee has gone up in just a couple of weeks.
Half Moon Cay is GLORIOUS!

While at Half Moon Cay, I did the glass bottomed boat and the nature hike. The boat was a bit disapointing, that day at least. The nature hike was interesting, but not what I would call "must see".
The island itself was just wonderful! Of the 4 cruises that I have been on, Half Moon was by far the best beach stop. The BBQ there was lots of fun. Next time I am there I'll wear a swimsuit and simply play in that lovely water in place of the tours.

Someone posted photos of the Cabanas at HMC a little while ago, and I can't find the link. Can anyone help me . We are leaving 07/03 on the Zi and wanted to see them again before selecting. Thank You

We just returned from the Zuiderdam and our last stop was @ HMC. It is possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. The last tender left @ 3:00 and that was NOT enough time to spend there. I personally love the beach, so would not waste $$ on a cabana. We did rent a "clamshell" for $9.00 for shade (request one early in the week, as they also were sold out the day before). Some of our tablemates rented snorkel equipment and used them outside the area netted off for swimming; they had never snorkeled before and said the fish came right up to them. Some of us decided that HAL should have a cruise to "nowhere" that just went to HMC and tender in and out every day!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Thanks T wife - Bringing Mother along, and it will be good for her to have "Cabana" to rest in.

1985 - Sun Viking
1991 - Starward
1997 - Westerdam
2000 - Veendam
2001 - Westerdam
2002 - Adventure of the Seas

[QUOTE] Some of us decided that HAL should have a cruise to "nowhere" that just went to HMC and tender in and out every day!

I said this too on our cruise 05/08-05/15/04. I have been to 2 other cruise lines islands and this is the finest by far. I would take a cruise that only tendered you in there every day. Are you listening HAL? I agree 3 is too early to leave, they should stay until at least 5.

Heck, I'd love HAL ships spending the night at HMC. Can you imagine dinner on the island and walks in the moonlight on that gorgeous sand? I can envision oil lamps lighting up the paths to the bars.... tenders back and forth whenever you want ship comforts... perhaps a gentle reggae band with a bonfire nearby.... tropical birds heralding the dawn....

If not all night, then at least until 10pm or 11pm as HAL does in San Juan.

Rick

Rick....Stop! You're torturing me; I just got back, and am suffering from cruise withdrawal. You sound like a romantic man. You'd appreciate, then, that 3 Cruise Critic couples had a renewal of vows together @ the little chapel on HMC..a surprise from the husbands. Didn't look our best, but it was wonderful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Some of us decided that HAL should have a cruise to "nowhere" that just went to HMC and tender in and out every day! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A lot of times the seas are too rough to allow tendering. So you'd have cruises to nowhere that literally are that.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America
4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration
10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Till sailing on the Maasdam

I can no longer find that link either, but we just booked our cabana for October 24 cruise. We booked the pink one because the orange was already taken the tan one looked really nice to. But the cost has gone up because we also paid $214.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodg1:
Someone posted photos of the Cabanas at HMC a little while ago, and I can't find the link. Can anyone help me . We are leaving 07/03 on the Zi and wanted to see them again before selecting. Thank You<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi. First time on HAL and looking forward to HMC in late August. I discovered snorkeling while on the Explorer and found these private islands to be just great for getting one's feet wet (sorry [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

If one wanted to do snorkeling just off the beach without an excursion, which direction would be best? With Labadee (RCCL) there was one beach that was suited for this.

Any other suggestions as to what area would be nice and somewhat secluded, with some shade, yet not too far from the chow?

Thanks. As always, these boards are great!

Rob

SeaEscape 12/82
SS Norway 12/86
Emerald Seas 12/89
Sovereign of the Seas 3/91?
Majesty of the Seas 10/96
(The trip to Hell & Back!)
Majesty of the Seas 3/97
(Make-up for Above!)
SS Norway 9/01 "Farewell
Voyage"
Explorer 8/30/03-Cabin 1688

I can't Speak to all areas of the bay as it is quite large but,we stayed close to the breakwater next to the Tendering Jetty. The bay itself is very soft sand (never a great local to see many fish) The rocks of the breakwater are quite sharp so swim along beside them. We saw sea urchins and small fish hiding amongst the rocks and some very interesting land crabs on the rocks. There also some small concrete artificial reefs dotted across the middle of the bay that shelter some marine life.

Julie

Zuiderdam 07/04
Maasdam 08/02

[url="http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?Uc=8xyzzqt3.8pokixmn&Uy=qhl3ey&Ux=1&view=2&ownerid=76616892106"]http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?Uc=8xyzzqt3.8pokixmn&Uy=qhl3ey&Ux=1&view=2&ownerid=76616892106[/url]

Found these pix of the cabanas on HMC.

Karen C.
Spirit 03
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;04;17;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I'm more excited about HMC than any of the other destinations on our E. Carribean trip, but I'm trying not to expect that we'll be able to tender. I read in a posting some time back that the seas are too rough to go to HMC 40% of the time. Does anyone know if there's a particular time of year when the seas are the worst in that area, or if it's a problem year round?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] until Maasdam E. Carribean

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but so far we have been able to tender at HMC on all three Caribbean cruises I'm taken. These were in late January 2002, mid-February 2003 and the end of October 2003. The February day was by far the roughest. The tender was lurching up and down quite badly as we trasnferred to the ship at around 3 pm. I don't know that one month or season is any better or worse than another, on the whole, though. I just hope that our luck isn't running out, and that we are able to tender in this December. We have a cabana waiting. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Happy cruising,
Susan

Looking forward to an early Christmas on the Westerdam, December 12-19.

Archived