To Soon to Buy a Pride of Hawaii Cruise?

wam957

Howdy All,

First time poster and first time curiser. My wife and I are going on a 25th Anniversary Cruise of Hawaii in July of 2006. Of course NCL is our only option, but its OK because we are casual people and will like the laid back at your own pace style. Anyway, am trying to decide which ship to book. I actually was able to get a Vacation referece number for a cruise on the Pride of Hawaii for July 10, 2006. I am wondering if it is safe to book a cruise on a ship that hasnt' been delivered yet. Also wondering how far ahead is best to book and trying to decide between the three ships.

Thanks for any help you can give this Newbie!

Bill Meyer

Brick, NJ

There are no delays in the Pride of Hawaii... it will be on time. It's coming along quite nicely as you can see for yourself on the webcam at

http://www.meyerwerft.com

If the cruiseline allows you to book... go ahead and book :) The cut off for cancellations without penalty is 60 days, which puts you in April or May, and by then the ship should be ready.

Enjoy your cruise :)

There are no delays in the Pride of Hawaii... it will be on time. It's coming along quite nicely as you can see for yourself on the webcam at

http://www.meyerwerft.com

If the cruiseline allows you to book... go ahead and book :) The cut off for cancellations without penalty is 60 days, which puts you in April or May, and by then the ship should be ready.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Actually, NCL's final payment/cancellations begin 75 days prior. Also, if you plan on booking air through the cruise line make sure you read up on NCLA's air policy b/c it is completely different from NCL's. I think there is a $50pp air deposit & that is non-refundable within ? days.

From NCL's website-

$50 deposit is per person, required at time of air booking, and becomes non-refundable at 180 days prior to saildate.

My issue is not that we would not do the trip, but rather that some snaffu would happen that would delay Pride of Hawaii.

Also, wondering what you everyone's opinion is about the three ships. Is Pride of Aloha a good, if somewhat less expensive alternative to PoAm or PoH or should it be avoided at all cost.

Thanks again.

My issue is not that we would not do the trip, but rather that some snaffu would happen that would delay Pride of Hawaii.

Also, wondering what you everyone's opinion is about the three ships. Is Pride of Aloha a good, if somewhat less expensive alternative to PoAm or PoH or should it be avoided at all cost.

Thanks again.

My husband and I just got back (last week) from the repositioning cruise for the Pride of Am. We loved the ship -- absolutely loved the ship -- but admit that there are a few things that they need to work on. Our daughter sailed on the Pride of Aloha (repositioning cruise) and enjoyed herself but wouldn't recommend the ship. From our combined experiences and the reviews I've read, I would not book the Aloha, I would have no problem booking the America (I'm sure they will have worked out the issues) and even if they are a little late with the Hawaii (I've read she is due to arrive in April), your cruise is in July and it should come off with no problems. One thing to keep in mind is each ship's individual capacity -- Aloha is the smallest, America can hold around 2,000 and while I haven't actually heard what the Pride of Hawaii will hold passenger-wise, I understand that she will not be cruising the Panama Canal next year because she doesn't fit -- She has go via Cape Horn. ;)

I understand that she will not be cruising the Panama Canal next year because she doesn't fit -- She has go via Cape Horn. ;)

Huh? The NCL Fleet Calendar in the back on the latest Alaska brochure has the POH sailing the Panama Canal on 5/1/05, Miami to LA :confused: I know the prices aren't open yet to book, but still, I would think NCL would know whether their ship would be able to go through the canal...

The Jewel displaces more tonnage than the Star and Dawn, but they have the same dimensions, 965 feet by 106 feet, which means they can fit into the Panama Canal of 1000 feet by 110 feet.... The added tonnage of the Jewel is the new courtyard suites up on the top that the Star and Dawn don't have....

From Meyerwerft, Jewel has 93,500 tons displacement, Star and Dawn have 91,000 tons displacement.

The Jewel was orginally posted on the NCL website to be doing a Panama Canal cruise on its way to Alaska next summer, but NCL changed their minds and decided to send her to the Mediterranean instead next summer. However, when the Pride of Hawaii is built, she will be doing a Panama Canal cruise to get to Hawaii eventually.

All of NCL ships currently in its fleet are considered Panamax size ships, or less. However, one does wonder whether the next ship NCL orders will be a post Panamax size vessel.

Thanks for the advise. After seeing the phenominal pictues posted on this board from the Jewel, I think I will wait and see how the progress is coming along on the Pride of Hawaii and book our cruise on that ship. Wondering how quickly the ships fill up? How long can I wait and still have some choices?

While I haven't actually heard what the Pride of Hawaii will hold passenger-wise, I understand that she will not be cruising the Panama Canal next year because she doesn't fit -- She has go via Cape Horn. ;)----and from Don Haynes: When the Pride of Hawaii is built, she will be doing a Panama Canal cruise to get to Hawaii eventually.

Well, it's a good thing that she'll not be going around the Horn in our summer. I think I'd pass on that. That's winter there and very, very difficult.

Archived