Halifax or Lunenberg

Doing the Canada/New England Sept/14. We have 2 days in Halifax. One day we are doing the Peggy's Cove with hopefully time to spare to do Pier 21. Our second day we are trying to decide between Lunenberg or staying in Halifax to walk or rent a bikes and self tour the harbour etc. Does anyone have any info on Lunenberg and which option would be best?

Doing the Canada/New England Sept/14. We have 2 days in Halifax. One day we are doing the Peggy's Cove with hopefully time to spare to do Pier 21. Our second day we are trying to decide between Lunenberg or staying in Halifax to walk or rent a bikes and self tour the harbour etc. Does anyone have any info on Lunenberg and which option would be best?

You could easily hit Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove in one day. Here is a map that Maryanne ns suggests. We did this and had a great day. The second day you could do the Citadel, Pier 21 and still have plenty of time to see Halifax.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Canadian+Museum+of+Immigration+at+Pier+21,&daddr=Lunenburg,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:44.5471854,-64.2326829+to:44.5037618,-64.0634363+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:Peggys+Cove+Rd,+Upper+Tantallon,+NS+to:Canadian+Museum+of+Immigration+at+Peir+21,+Marginal+Road,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.643254,-64.039307&sspn=0.495381,1.352692&geocode=FYogqQIdkRI2_CEgmzhDlXHjFyndrHIwSiJaSzEgmzhDlXHjFw%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFXG8pwIdFuMr_CmVbw6Uw-ZZSzGRJeihENXCOg%3BFdESpwIdNHgu_Cl1Fr7icftZSzFDhjUguvaQdA%3BFernpgIdRLIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw%3BFV_HqQIdQCEx_CmX_MwURfFZSzEV3v7-Z-u9AA%3BFYogqQIdkRI2_CEgmzhDlXHjFyndrHIwSiJaSzEgmzhDlXHjFw&oq=pier&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=10&via=3,4&t=m&z=10

I would agree Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg can very easily be done in a day from Halifax. In fact in Peggy's Cove, after you have walk out on the point, looked at the lighthouse, walked around the harbour a bit and taken a few photos...you are done. That would allow you a full day to explore Halifax, you wont be able to take in everything but you will can see a lot.

I agree Peggy's Cove does not take long. Lunenburg has much more to offer.

Visit the Fisheries Museum. Take the self guided walking tour. Visit Blue Rocks and/or the Ovens.

www.lunenburgns.com

http://southshorenow.ca/old_site/southshore/tourism/Lunenburg.php

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/novascotia/2013/03/20/nova_scotia_travel_travel_editor_jim_byers_six_things_to_do_in_lunenburg.html

Edited by maryann ns

I agree Peggy's Cove does not take long. Lunenburg has much more to offer.

Visit the Fisheries Museum. Take the self guided walking tour. Visit Blue Rocks and/or the Ovens.

www.lunenburgns.com

http://southshorenow.ca/old_site/southshore/tourism/Lunenburg.php

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/novascotia/2013/03/20/nova_scotia_travel_travel_editor_jim_byers_six_things_to_do_in_lunenburg.html

We have only 1 day in Halifax, Oct 6, 2014. We are doing a van tour to Peggy's Cove and Historic Halifax. (I cannot walk long distances). To make sure we have enough time to see Halifax would it be better to skip Peggy's Cove and go to Lunenburg instead? We are not crazy about places that are too touristy.

We have only 1 day in Halifax, Oct 6, 2014. We are doing a van tour to Peggy's Cove and Historic Halifax. (I cannot walk long distances). To make sure we have enough time to see Halifax would it be better to skip Peggy's Cove and go to Lunenburg instead? We are not crazy about places that are too touristy.

If you take a cab tour they will take you right to Peggy's Cove, not much walking at all. I think it is not to be missed, I thought it was one of the most beautiful places we stopped.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

IMO if I only had one day I would want to see as much of Halifax as I could so I would focus on Peggy's Cove....I don't think you will be disappointed.

Peggy's Cove is much closer to Halifax and takes less time to see, so if you want time in Halifax as well, choose Peggy's Cove over Lunenburg.

Peggy's Cove is beautiful and worth a look, but avoid the touristy shop and restaurant. There will be lots of people most times because it is a famous tourist destination.

IMO if I only had one day I would want to see as much of Halifax as I could so I would focus on Peggy's Cove....I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thank you so much for the advice. Our van tour can be customized to what we want to see so it helps to know the best places to go.

Peggy's Cove is much closer to Halifax and takes less time to see, so if you want time in Halifax as well, choose Peggy's Cove over Lunenburg.

Peggy's Cove is beautiful and worth a look, but avoid the touristy shop and restaurant. There will be lots of people most times because it is a famous tourist destination.

Thank you so much for your input. I greatly appreciate it!

If you take a cab tour they will take you right to Peggy's Cove, not much walking at all. I think it is not to be missed, I thought it was one of the most beautiful places we stopped.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much for the advice. It looks like it will be Peggy's Cove and as much of Halifax as time and energy will permit. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Any idea where we can rent a car to tour on our own

Enterprise would be one of the closest and they normally pick up,I am not sure if they would come to ship but you could ask. But this address is very close to the cruise port. No more than 5 or 10 minute walk from the pier.

VIA RAIL HALIFAX

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

VIA RAIL HALIFAX

1161 HOLLIS ST

HALIFAX, NS B3H2P6

Tel.: (902) 423-0227

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any idea where we can rent a car to tour on our own

Also Thrifty and National. Both are in the same building as Enterprise and have a Hollis St address. One is in the hotel and the other is the Via rail station. This is just across a parking lot from the pier.

We are taking towncar tours .. I found it on trip advisor.. He is taking us all over including Peggy's cove and ordering lobsters from Ryers lobster pound... That way we get to see everything including maple farm. We are going in on rccl oct 7th.

Disney Magic 2000, 2002

Disney Wonder 2001

Majesty of the Seas 1992

Sovereign of the Seas 1999

If you do not like walking consider Halifax because you would at least have taxi or transit available. Lunenburg is a hilly town. While beautiful, if the weather is wet or otherwise inclement you will want to be in Halifax rather than on a pre-booked Lunenburg tour.

Have a great time.

Jim from Halifax

• 2 weeks later...

The last time that we were in Halifax, we went on a private tour with a gentleman who said he was a retired policeman in Halifax. For the life of me, I cannot find the paper that I wrote his name on and was wondering if anyone would know who this person would be? We just happened to find him when we were walking out of the cruise ship terminal and he was really good and took us where we wanted to go. Thanks in advance.

The last time that we were in Halifax, we went on a private tour with a gentleman who said he was a retired policeman in Halifax. For the life of me, I cannot find the paper that I wrote his name on and was wondering if anyone would know who this person would be? We just happened to find him when we were walking out of the cruise ship terminal and he was really good and took us where we wanted to go. Thanks in advance.

I spoke with a Jim Currie (cell 902-456-3926) who I think is that person. He is doing our tour.

Tours by Towncar: Private Tours and Airport Drives in ...

http://www.toursbytowncar.ns.ca/

Tours by Town Car is a transportation company providing airport transfer as well as private tours in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Canada's beautiful east coast.

Google+ page · Be the first to review

Cellular, Halifax, NS B4C 2Y8, Canada

+1 902-456-3926