Infinity Accessible Cabin 6014 Question

twopats

We have just booked an accessible ocean view cabin on the Infinity and wonder about these cabins, which are in the bow of the ship and have no balcony. The square footage is really large but do you get lots of motion being that far in the front of the ship? Is it worthwhile to book an accessible junior suite on this ship where the cabins are more mid-ship? We are doing the Panama Canal in April so we know it will be extremely hot and the balcony may not be that desirable so it would be helpful for experience of anyone having one of these cabins.. Many thanks. Trish

Yes, the front of the ship gets the most motion, and that's why I've never been able to figure out why the designers put accessible cabins there. My husband is disabled and we would never book an accessible cabin at the very front of the ship just because of the extra movement. If the person in your cabin has walking issues, or uses a walker, I would not recommend the very forward cabins. But, if that person uses a scooter or wheelchair, it might be a little different because they can roll right into the bathroom and use those devices for stability.

And there can be very rough seas on the Pacific side of a Panama Canal cruise. We did a west to east Panama cruise and we had quite a few days of pretty rough seas.

There are no such things as junior suites on Celebrity. That's a cabin category on Princess. The cabin you want are the 2A or 2B accessible cabins, that are right near the mid ship elevators.

My favorite accessible cabin on the Infinity or any M class ship is 8176 or the one below it. It is in the aft of the ship and in the middle so you can get a 180 view. We had this one on our Panama Canal cruise. Loved it. Want to do it again.

Have fun.

Any cabin at the bow of the ship will have much more movement than other places. And for a Panama Canal cruise, on the Pacific side, it can get very rough and bumpy. My DH is disabled, and we wouldn't book a cabin in the front of the ship on an itinerary that has the probability of having rough patches.

We like the 2A cabins mid ship on the M class ships. They are very nice, near the elevators and the most stable in rough seas.

We stayed in 6014 on the Summit very recently.

I found the room to be generally well designed for accessible use. It is large with lots of turnaround space. Our wheelchair (with my mom in it), easily sat up to the desk so she could see the mirror, write on the desk or eat at the desk (when enjoying room service).

The roll is shower was large enough and placed well so that my mom had no problem transfering in and the built in shower chair was very sturdy. The sink was a little high and the toilet was a little low but still manageable.

There was a desk chair plus 2 more chairs, a coffee table, and then the desk and separately, the stand with the mini bar with the tv ontop.

We ran into a bit of rough weather heading towards Bermuda and you could feel it much more in our cabin than midship.

The cabin stewards were generally very good at moving the carts out of the way for the wheelchair (except for 1 time when my dad went down to 3 to go to guest services and had to go through the cabin area to go forward to midship/aft - the cabin steward told him to go back, go up 1 floor, across and then down and refused to move the cart).

There were a few issues notes with our cabin:

1. The telephone in the bathroom is placed immediately above the grab bars and the cord hangs down onto them. Just about everytime my mother transfered from the toilet back to her wheelchair, she managed to knock the phone off the hook. I'm guessing she wasn't the only one who did that since the phone itself was broken (we did have someone come up and replace the phone though once we realised).

2. There is a pole in the room between the bed and the pull out couch. It limited which bed my mother could use since I was concerned about getting wedged in.

3. The couch is a true pullout couch and has exposed metal around the sides when it's pulled out (like a living room pull out couch - this is unlike other cruiselines we've been on - Disney and Carnival have a convertable single bed sofa and Royal had where the couch changed into 2 pieces - no exposed metal). It wasn't a huge issue for us, it just dictated our sleeping arrangement.

Along with that, you can't really move the side tables with the lamps more than a few inches. They stay on the outside of the beds which meant my mother had her head at the foot of the bed as her transfer method requires her to transfer to the right (she had a right side stroke and needs help on that side - to transfer with her head to the top of her bed, the lamp was in the way).

We really did like the cabin - it was spacious and had all the features we needed. That being said, in the future, if available, I'd hands down book one of the midship verandah cabins.

The carpet on the ship (every where but the pool deck and deck 3) made the chair more difficult to push (the pile on the carpet was very different than I've seen other places - we've never had this issue on any other cruiseline) and it did seem like we spent an awful lot of time going through the store area to get to the rest of the ship.