Hawaii Cruise in a wheelchair?

rickdeni

A year ago I booked our cabin and a cabin for my son, wife and 2 children, 12 and 14. Last week I fell and broke my ankle and did further damage requiring surgery. They all want to cancel, I do not. Has anyone taken this cruise using a wheelchair? I know I cannot get off in Kona but did you have any other difficulties?

First, immediately call NCL and if possible switch to an accessible room. They are larger and have easier washroom access. Second, post this to the Special Needs board under Cruising with Disabilities. You will get lots of responses there. I would also suggest that you consider renting a scooter. Someone has to push a wheelchair, and on carpeting that is not an easy task. You would have much more freedom with the scooter.

I just want to add that NCL is fantastic at helping people who need it. The will provide a wheelchair and pusher for embarkation and debarkation. They will assist in the buffet or dining room. Whatever you need, just ask. And, the last thing I would do is cancel. The most wonderful blessing in life is our family. Take the chance to be with them while it is still possible and forget the small inconvenience this will be.

I have been on the POA twice & both times I was pushing a wheelchair- the first time was expected, the second was not & was supposed to be a make up trip for me since the first I was helping my mom!! :mad:

The first time my mom was about to have a hip replacement so we brought a wheelchair. My parents did not have an accessible room & they did fine- although they had the folding wheelchair.

The second time my husband re-injured his knee during our pre-cruise stay on Oahu!! :mad: We had to buy crutches & rent a wheelchair. Again, we did not have an accessible room.

I am only 5'2 & 120lbs & I had no problems maneuvering my mom & my husband, both very hefty compared to short me, in the wheelchair around the ship. You also can most definitely get off in Kona. They were great helping us off the ship.

Not to sound mean, but Hawaii is primarily filled with tourists that are "a little more seasoned". ;) Everywhere we went was very accessible. The only time I had trouble pushing my hubby was first getting on the ship in Oahu. The ramp is VERY steep, but you can just request help & they will push the wheelchair for you. I did not realize that & I thought my hubby was gonna go flying over me, down the ramp & make a grand entrance onto the ship. Thankfully the CAPTAIN came & helped me- didn't realize it was him until I went to take back the helm. :D

I have to agree with other posters. We have seen a large bus being used with a wheelchair lift. I'm thinking it was for the NCL Luau.

Also we have seen wheelchairs being carried off the ship and put in tender boat.

Once on land in Kona there is lots to see in the main core at the pier.

So much of Hawaii does not require any activity at all. Much of it is scenic driving such as the Road to Hana, Mt Haleakala, Wiamea Canyon. If anyone in your party feels comfortable driving, many people rent cars, and do a day or two on their own on each island. The car shuttles meet you at the docks for quick transfer to car pick up location. I would recommend Mary Lou's tours on the big island. She, her husband Ken and sometimes their son do small group tours, with pick up at the dock, customized for you, in both Hilo and Kona. Usually about 6 people on each tour, so they book up fast.

I highly reccommend a disabled room. The bathing facilities are worth their weight in gold when you have limited mobility. A scooter is a great rental because it lets you be less dependent on others and can be taken off the ship. They deliver to the room and pick up from the room. J

A year ago I booked our cabin and a cabin for my son, wife and 2 children, 12 and 14. Last week I fell and broke my ankle and did further damage requiring surgery. They all want to cancel, I do not. Has anyone taken this cruise using a wheelchair? I know I cannot get off in Kona but did you have any other difficulties?

OP what were your plans for your Hawaii trip? Did you want to hike, swim, snorkel, dive, kayak, get out on the water or up in the mountains? Or keep up with your family doing these things? What does your surgeon say? Just think about those things. That might help you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

After a great deal of consideration I do not intend to hike, tube or swing through trees. My sons family do all of these. My husband and I will tour the island, stopping at lockout points just to view from the lookout, have a nice lunch and do some shopping. This was not my original plans but they will do considering the circumstance. The surgeon will allow me to go in the water but I cannot put any weight on the foot. Aulani has the chair that puts people in and out of the pool.

After a great deal of consideration I do not intend to hike, tube or swing through trees. My sons family do all of these. My husband and I will tour the island, stopping at lockout points just to view from the lookout, have a nice lunch and do some shopping. This was not my original plans but they will do considering the circumstance. The surgeon will allow me to go in the water but I cannot put any weight on the foot. Aulani has the chair that puts people in and out of the pool.

Have a good cruise! Our good friend who has been in a wheelchair for years had a great time on this cruise. I imagine they had a handicapped room.

As someone who is now spending three months off a foot, I wish you a good recovery. We cruised in April with a lady who had no weight bearing on her foot. This was in the Med where things are not so handicapped friendly as in the US. She stayed onboard the whole time but enjoyed the cruise. What she did not enjoy was the long flight being unable to elevate her foot. She didn't have cruise insurance and didn't want to disappoint her family so she went. I am afraid her husband had to give up a lot of activities, though. Hope it all works out for you.

So much of Hawaii does not require any activity at all. Much of it is scenic driving such as the Road to Hana, Mt Haleakala, Wiamea Canyon. If anyone in your party feels comfortable driving, many people rent cars, and do a day or two on their own on each island. The car shuttles meet you at the docks for quick transfer to car pick up location. I would recommend Mary Lou's tours on the big island. She, her husband Ken and sometimes their son do small group tours, with pick up at the dock, customized for you, in both Hilo and Kona. Usually about 6 people on each tour, so they book up fast.

Yes. We rented a car on Oahu and did scenic driving which should work okay for the OP. The overlooks and Pearl Harbor Memorial are all handicapped friendly I'm pretty sure. The Road to Hana (ship's tour we took) was fabulous but rental cars are not allowed due to the rough (and a bit dangerous) sections on the road once you get past Hana.

Yes. We rented a car on Oahu and did scenic driving which should work okay for the OP. The overlooks and Pearl Harbor Memorial are all handicapped friendly I'm pretty sure. The Road to Hana (ship's tour we took) was fabulous but rental cars are not allowed due to the rough (and a bit dangerous) sections on the road once you get past Hana.

Just a clarification in case someone takes your last statement literally. Rental cars ARE allowed on the Road to Hana and many people drive it on their own. You can easily go all the way to Hana and some distance beyond before the road conditions change. Many people turn around in the Hana area and backtrack on the same road, but it is faster to continue on, and many people do this, even in rental cars. My guess is that should something happen on that portion, your rental contract would not cover it, but that is up to the individual. From reading some recent reports, it does not sound very risky, but I don't know that I'd try it after a lot of rain. Just did not want anyone to think they cannot drive themselves to Hana.

Thank you all for all your help. I know my husband will not be able to do everything that the kids do but if he wants to just the 2 of us can go back. Since retirement we are fortunate to take 4 vacations a year - 2 for a week driving and the other 2 for at least 2 weeks flying so he is not concerned.