Getting around Galveston

Hi! We are cruising out of Galveston in August. We have never been to Galveston so thought we would spend some time there before and after the cruise. We are planning on spending two days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise. So...what is the best way to get around the island? Car rental the best way to get around and see the sights? Thinking about renting a car at Hobby airport, keeping it and parking it at a lot while on the cruise so we would have transportation after the cruise to get around and to get us back to the airport. To us this seems the easiest way to do this, less hassle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your help, Judy

Agree with your plans 100%.

The island is 32 miles long and 2 miles at its widest.

You will definitely need a car to get around and see all you want.

You can even ride the Bolivar Ferry to and from the island for a "free" cruise.

Check out Galveston.com for a list of happenings during the time you will be here.

I concur that your plan sounds good. Please go to the rental car companies at Hobby with plenty of patience. It is very disorganized in my experience.

I concur that your plan sounds good. Please go to the rental car companies at Hobby with plenty of patience. It is very disorganized in my experience.
I don't know about Hobby but when we flew to Orlando and rented a car to take us to Cape Canaveral, the rental car line wait time must have been at least an hour. I walked to the front of the line and asked if there was a bypass line for those that were members of the loyalty membership club. Of all things, the attendant said "yes" and directed us to a different counter that was right behind us. We walked right up and got our car. In fact, I'd suggest calling the various rental companies and ask this specific question.

that is a good plan just for a little more info though when we drive in we stay at inn at the waterpark they offer free parking and a shuttle to and from port. we have found this too be a lot cheaper then parking at pier esp since you are already paying to rent the car. we have stayed several times and like this one best because the cruise cars are parked right in front of office so they are watched. hope this helps