Departure day @yvr/ Canada Place

Cruise departs at 5pm on a Friday... means All Aboard time is 3pm (at the latest).

Usually we try and get to the pier and be among the first hundred or so people when going on a cruise. But it is my understanding that the Cruise Terminal (in Canada Place) is a tourist attraction itself.

We were thinking of getting their early, dropping our luggage off with the porter, and spending a few hours in Canada Place. My son wants to do the Fly Over Canada exhibit.

Anyone have any experience with the layout of C.P.? Is this doable?

Edited by kingstonKouple72

Yes, very much so. As you approach Canada Place you will be directed to a lower level where you will pass your luggage off to the porter and this begins as early as 0930 and certainly by 1000. From there you can follow signage to the Fly Over Canada attraction and walk around Canada Place. You may care to see the 2010 Olympic cauldron just to the west of Canada Place and then even take a walk into the historic Gastown area.

http://www.flyovercanada.com/

A few hours would be seriously pushing it in terms of Canada Place itself. Fly Over Canada is a c. 30 minute total experience, plus some queuing time if it's busy that day. Currently there's a (free) War of 1812 exhibit that's worth perhaps an hour if you actually read all the various plaques. And of course you can walk around the whole exterior, see some nice views of the North Shore and your cruise ship - say a half hour for that.

If you feel like killing more time, it's an easy walk down into Gastown - the Steam Clock and Gassy Jack statue are very popular photo ops.

Don't know when you plan to arrive at Canada Place, but if you arrive before noon, you will have plenty of time to take in Fly Over Canada and walk around CP. In addition, I'd suggest a walk either east, to Gastown or west along the seawalk/promenade towards Stanley Park. The walk towards Stanley Park is one of my favourites. You don't have to go all the way to the park to enjoy the views and ambience.

Thanks.

We actually arrive in vancouver on the Wednesday around noon. Child wants to go to Lynn Canyon Park (he wants to go on the suspension bridge) and the Science Centre.

We figure we'd be at our hotel Marriott Pinnacle relatively close to the pier), at around 1:30 at the latest. Check in or drop luggage off at Bell Desk then take the Seabus to N Vancouver.

If there is something better to do than LCP... I am all ears. We figure we would do the Science Centre on Thursday.

I will look into the other suggestions as well.. thanks again.

Don't know when you plan to arrive at Canada Place, but if you arrive before noon, you will have plenty of time to take in Fly Over Canada and walk around CP. In addition, I'd suggest a walk either east, to Gastown or west along the seawalk/promenade towards Stanley Park. The walk towards Stanley Park is one of my favourites. You don't have to go all the way to the park to enjoy the views and ambience.

We normally try and get to the pier by about 9am for most of our previous cruises. Generally our aim is to get on the ship as soon as possible. Usually there isn't anything to do at the cruise ship terminal..... We may get on a little later this time if there is stuff to see.....

PS - what is the "seawalk/ promenade"? I am looking around on google maps and find nothing. Is this a pedestrian only walkway? looks like W Waterfront road and Canada Pl are the streets closests to the water, but open to vehicles..... is there something closer to the water?

Thanks.

Edited by kingstonKouple72

PS - what is the "seawalk/ promenade"? I am looking around on google maps and find nothing. Is this a pedestrian only walkway? looks like W Waterfront road and Canada Pl are the streets closests to the water, but open to vehicles..... is there something closer to the water?

Thanks.

The Vancouver Seawall walk is a paved promenade (split in 2 lanes: one for pedestrians and one for bicycles) that starts just outside the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place, and follows the coastline to/around Stanley Park. It's a beautiful walk, with plenty of photo ops and benches for resting. Along the way in Coal Harbor, you can opt to take a float plane ride or go on a harbor cruise.

Here's a link to a map of the Seawall Walk. On the middle right on the map, the zigzag line is Canada Place. Just outside the front of the Pan Pacific Hotel at CP there is a sign pointing you to the start of the Seawall Walk.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Seawall-Printable-Map3.pdf

Edited by Arusha

Thanks for all the responses.

With respect to Lynn Canyon Park... We think we will get to our hotel to drop off luggage around 1:30ish. Assuming we walk to the SeaBus stop, how long do you think it would take to get to LCP and to the suspension bridge?

Is the park something that closes at a particular time? I am not sure if this will be achievable the more I think about it....

Thanks

There are two suspension bridges in North Vancouver: the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge.

The Lynn Valley bridge is very nice and also free! There are a lot of nice walking trails in the park as well. After taking the seabus you will also have to take two city buses. Each way will take approx. 40 mins.

The Capilano Suspension bridge is a more touristy attraction with lots of things to see and do including a cliff walk and treetop adventure. There is an admission cost of approx. $35 for adults and $22 for teens. However, there is a free shuttle you can catch at Canada Place that leaves every 15 mins or so. Each way will take approx. 30 min.

Personally, I prefer Capilano :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With respect to Lynn Canyon Park... We think we will get to our hotel to drop off luggage around 1:30ish. Assuming we walk to the SeaBus stop, how long do you think it would take to get to LCP and to the suspension bridge?

Is the park something that closes at a particular time? I am not sure if this will be achievable the more I think about it....

Thanks

Depending upon your arrival time at Waterfront Station to catch the SeaBus you will find the it will take 35 to 45 minutes. The LCP is the favourite of locals and except for the Ecology Centre and snack bar is more in a natural state. In addition to the suspension bridge there are many great trails particularly on the east side of the bridge. I suspect you have already done a lot of research but just in case I am attaching a link to the park. During the summer the park is open until 9pm although the Ecology Centre does dose close earlier.

http://lynncanyon.ca/

Edited by Putterdude

Thanks

The park closes at 9 pm in the summer. So if you want to just walk the trails and suspension bridge, you'll have plenty of time . However the Ecology Centre closes at 5 pm.

Here's a link from the Lynn Canyon website: --> Public Transit Directions