Seattle to Vancover

Hi all,

We will be in Seattle for a day and what's the best way to travel to Vancouver? I want to go to Capilano Suspension bridge and Grouse mountain. Is renting a car the best option? Please advise.

Thanks.

A rental car is certainly an option if you are not going to be dropping it in Vancouver; if you are then drop charges are going to apply. While the cities are only 120 miles apart or about 3 hrs of driving, the border can be quite unpredictable and can add 1 to 2 hrs to the trip.

Other options include the Amtrak Cascades which is a lovely, relaxing way to travel, then there is Quick Coach which works well then followed Bolt Bus which is the most economical way.

I've done them all and much prefer Amtrak. No fuss, no muss. The only issue is departure time. Quick Shuttle have more departures. The trip is a tad longer than by car or bus but the immigration is much easier (done in Vancouver) and you get to see more and different aspects of the journey than you would on the freeway. A car will pass through the border quicker than a car, but rental cars crossing the border can be problematic. Both Amtrak and Quick Shuttle have wifi but Amtraks' can be spotty.

Go Amtrak

Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your stay.

Edited by Mr_Astro
added information

Looking at your other posts, I see you are on the NCL Jewel, leaving out of Seattle.

Therefore, you are asking about a return trip in one day (Seattle -Vancouver-Seattle) AND want to see both Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge - I wouldn't do it. It will be a long day! Factoring in travel time (no matter what method), I don't think it's enough time to appreciate or enjoy the experience.

Edited by ell52

I have been doing the border/Seattle return trip fairly frequently recently.

I have used mainly Sumas/Huntington which is out in the Fraser Valley and I do have Nexus.

Having observed the regular lines if you are not traveling on a Stat Holiday or a Friday afternoon you should not have a longish border issue if you get away fairly early going north and return south later in the evening.

The train would be next best but of course you likely wouldn't be able to catch the early AM.

best of luck. YOur goal in Vancouver is certainly worth it..on a good weather day.

A car will pass through the border quicker than a car, but rental cars crossing the border can be problematic.

I am not sure what you are saying. But as to your remark re rental cars, that is entirely incorrect, some 60 odd years ago as a youngster I have a recollection of customs officers checking car registration however, rental cars today pass through the boarder without issue. Even a Canadian can bring in a rental car as a result of changes to legislation that were made about 2 years ago.

Having seen the "BOLT" bus quite a few times as I was traveling 1-5 recently I thought that I would do a bit of research ...What I have seen online it appears to me that we should start to put their name out there.

They leave and arrive near the Train Station in Seattle and in Vancouver use the Bus depot.

Her is the Yelp link on the NW USA/Canada service.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/boltbus-seattle

The price seems quite reasonable.

One downfall may be the Luggage restrictions for cruisers.