Isles & Empires, May 2015

kiwigirl

I'm wondering if anyone can share information about the Riviera? We are looking at this cruise with my in-laws. They have never been on a cruise before and our last one was in 2007.

My first real question is about the rooms. We are looking at the Concierge Veranda level. I know that on other ships, there are some rooms that people say should be avoided. Is this true on the Riviera? I know we want to try to avoid having the elevator right outside our doors, but other than that, what should we be aware of?

Thank you!

I'm wondering if anyone can share information about the Riviera? We are looking at this cruise with my in-laws. They have never been on a cruise before and our last one was in 2007.

My first real question is about the rooms. We are looking at the Concierge Veranda level. I know that on other ships, there are some rooms that people say should be avoided. Is this true on the Riviera? I know we want to try to avoid having the elevator right outside our doors, but other than that, what should we be aware of?

Thank you!

Don't rope yourself into an idea too quickly.

If your In Laws are anything like mine were, they may appreciate the shorter walks from a room nearer the Elevators. Some people just love the convenience of being able to run back to the room often, and many of our friends say that doing so is one of the great benefits of cruising on a mid sized ship (the Marina and Riviera are large by Oceania standards, but very mid sized in the Grand scheme of things).

Of course, if your In Laws are very quiet people, then you are probably correct in thinking that the extraneous noise of people passing will be an issue, however, my two were just thrilled to save ANY extra steps and what with the way that their hearing was going.......well, you get my drift :o

Thanks!

They're still pretty mobile. I know my FIL will probably take a nap after getting back from any time in port, so a little quieter would probably be better but yes...he has the advantage of removing his aids. ;)

We have stayed in Concierge right near the elevators (on Riviera) twice now, and loved the convenience. We did not find it disturbing or loud, and we are folks who turn in fairly early and like a quiet night. In fact we requested a cabin near the elevators on our next cruise because we like the location!

Welcome! you will have lots of nice surprises as you "navigate" the world of Oceania.

Donna

Thanks Donna. I'm already enjoying some of differences that I've discovered. :)

Can I ask what deck you were on?

We have stayed in Concierge right near the elevators (on Riviera) twice now, and loved the convenience. We did not find it disturbing or loud, and we are folks who turn in fairly early and like a quiet night. In fact we requested a cabin near the elevators on our next cruise because we like the location!

Welcome! you will have lots of nice surprises as you "navigate" the world of Oceania.

Donna

Thanks!

They're still pretty mobile. I know my FIL will probably take a nap after getting back from any time in port, so a little quieter would probably be better but yes...he has the advantage of removing his aids. ;)

If you are really interested in a quite location, and provided that nobody in your party is particularly susceptible to Mal de Mer. You might want to investigate the availability of the Concierge level Cabins up on Deck 12. That's cabin #'s 12002 through 12005, inclusive.

113136.jpg Not only will your neighbors be very rarefied, but Deck 12 has so little traffic that you may often imagine that you're aboard a private yacht.

Those cabins are under the gymnasium, but noise from above is not a concern as the fitness center floors were especially stiffened and soundproofed.

081128.jpgmap-lg-RVA150503.jpg

Not everyone likes being so high in the ship, but the Riviera rides like a dream, and in May the Adriatic in particular should be a plate of glass.

Whatever you do, please make certain that you are up on deck (or at least having coffee on your veranda) for the entrance into Kotor Bay.

bay_of_kotor_montenegro_photo.jpg

It is magical

You might want to look into where the Concierge Lounge is. A cabin near the Lounge is a great convenience.

Good point

b_115800.jpg

The Concierge Lounge is on Deck 9, forward of the forward-most Elevator Lobby and Stairs. It is a comfortable room with sofa's, chairs, newspapers, magazines and a big screen TV. A kitchenette features self service hot coffee, cappuccino and tea machines, as well as a large stock of chilled soft drinks. Refrigerated showcases with yogurts , and all manner of pastries, cookies and snacks, are next down the line, the selections vary based on the time of day.

Two desktop computers (complete with with printers) are provided , as are the services of an Executive Concierge.

This lounge is for the exclusive use of Concierge level guests.

Riviera-7843.JPGRiviera-7845.JPG

Oh, this is a very good idea. My FIL tends to be an early bird and likes a cup of coffee when he first gets up. My MIL has some meds that she needs to take shortly after waking up. This location would be perfect with the provided goodies. He could bring a yogurt back to the room for her.

Thanks Jertom and JimandStan.

Donna - I will check out those cabins.

A question about the balconies. Can the dividers be removed?

Thanks again for all of the information.

denyse

Good point

b_115800.jpg

The Concierge Lounge is on Deck 9, forward of the forward-most Elevator Lobby and Stairs. It is a comfortable room with sofa's, chairs, newspapers, magazines and a big screen TV. A kitchenette features self service hot coffee, cappuccino and tea machines, as well as a large stock of chilled soft drinks. Refrigerated showcases with yogurts , and all manner of pastries, cookies and snacks, are next down the line, the selections vary based on the time of day.

Two desktop computers (complete with with printers) are provided , as are the services of an Executive Concierge.

This lounge is for the exclusive use of Concierge level guests.

Riviera-7843.JPGRiviera-7845.JPG

9061 and 9063 are just down the hall from the concierge lounge, which I also enjoyed with my DH. Would fetch coffee, tea, etc from there during the afternoon down times. Also the laundry is not too far away if you need to run a load!

Donna