Traveling with Minor (not mine)

jusstice

I am traveling on the BA in a few weeks with just my step-son. If I have both my husband and his ex sign the Guardian Consent & Release Form, I should be ok to travel with the kid, right? NCL should let me sign waivers for him to partake in activities (like the rope course) with the form, or this another form that I will need?

Thanks!

I am traveling on the BA in a few weeks with just my step-son. If I have both my husband and his ex sign the Guardian Consent & Release Form, I should be ok to travel with the kid, right? NCL should let me sign waivers for him to partake in activities (like the rope course) with the form, or this another form that I will need?

Thanks!

Yes, that is the the case. To be 100 percent safe you can always call NCL to ensure you have met their requirements.

This is an ongoing thread about this : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055460

I would suggest to read all the fine prints with this form... One of them is that the form must be submit with a photocopy of a government issued id ( like a drivers licence ) for both parents who signed the form....

Make sure you have everything in hand !

If I were traveling with just my stepchildren and daughter without DH I would bring more documents then just the guardian consent and release form which is The form for the ship only. For immigration at foreign ports you may be asked to provide proof of relationship and custody papers. If I was in your shoes I would bring child passport, ID, DH divorce decree naming custody of minor children as well as DH and ex, my marriage certificate to DH listing him and I as well as a notarized authorization to travel letter from DH and ex and temporary guardianship/medical power of attorney from DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sparkygirl

That is overkill. Anyone could be traveling with a child so there is never a need for " proof of relationship". The NCL form and requirements is what you'll need for the cruise. They will barely look at it. When I travel with my nephew, I also usually bring a letter signed by both of his parents stating that I am taking him from x date to x date, where we are going and that I have permission to make any and all medical and other decisions on his behalf.

That is overkill. Anyone could be traveling with a child so there is never a need for " proof of relationship". The NCL form and requirements is what you'll need for the cruise. They will barely look at it. When I travel with my nephew, I also usually bring a letter signed by both of his parents stating that I am taking him from x date to x date, where we are going and that I have permission to make any and all medical and other decisions on his behalf.

Agreed. Way overkill and completely unneccesary.

The ONLY place you will have an issue is when you board. NCL wants to make sure you can leave the country, and more important, get back into the country.

To be honest, the guy in line next to you can sign any sort of waiver. Nobody checks.

Thanks!

I'm amazed at how many different answers you can get when asking many different people (meaning NCL). I took 2 of my Day Care children with us on the 9 day on Gem Dec. of 2013 & I needed to have original Birth Certificates.

Also, my son now 14 ( who has his father's last name not mine) and has always cruised with me on every single cruise & we are both way past platinum, never had a problem getting through check in line until the time I took the 2 other children w/ me. They were not going to let my son board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was dying.......... I explained they needed to look at his info. & that he had been on every cruise with me & this same exact 9 day cruise on the same ship in Dec. of 2012. She said she needed to talk to her supervisor. OMG you can imagine what was going through my brain. Well it's a good thing I started taking my whole wallet with me instead of just a CC & Drivers License. I started pulling out every child ID taken in his school since K, I had a lot, & then I pulled out HIS social security card, med. ins. card, & asked, "who would be carrying these items other than a parent. He was granted boarding. OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now.........I carry his Birth Certificate & his paternity papers with me every cruise. Gheeeeeze !!!!!! In my mind...............better too much than not enough. Being denied boarding for any reason has always been a fear of mine. What a way to ruin a vacation!

We'll, of course you needed original birth certificates. For a child, original BC or a passport is a customs requirement to leave/enter the country. That has nothing to do with bringing a minor not your own.

In addition to proper citizenship documentation, when traveling with a minor who is not your own, you need to complete NCL's minor form. If you read it, you will know it requires the signatures of both parents along with a copy of the parents' IDs. Nothing else is required. However, as an extra precaution, I usually also bring a note signed by both parents, stating dates of travel, modes of travel & granting me permission to make all decisions on child's behalf.

In the 6 or 7 cruises I have taken nephew on (who has a different last name from both me & my husband), only Disney has ever even asked for their minor authorization form. NCL has never even asked to look at it even upon a Europe cruise.

Well, this may be your belief, but in reality NCL did want me to show proof of relationship. My son & I both have photo ID & Passports, but on this particular cruise for what ever reason (new employee maybe, I don't know) they wanted proof of relationship. It was a really good think that I had an ample supply of "overkill" because that was what let him board ! I guess every situation has different parameters and different people who think they are doing the correct thing and others that are more lenient than others. Bottom line is "I'd rather take something and not need it, than need something and not have it !

I think you misunderstood what they wanted. Anyone can take a kid. What if the kid were a family friend, how would you have provided "proof of relationship"? What they wanted was birth certificate info from both people as a citizenship requirement for the cruise. And they want their form completed as required.

There are no " different parameters". There are requirements:

1) every person must show proof of citizenship. Either an original BC or passport for a child and original BC+ Gov't issues photo ID or a passport for an adult

2) then if the child is not yours, you need the cruise- specific form filled out as required with whatever documentation it asks for.

Because you failed to have one of both of the above, they probably started asking for other stuff to substitute for it ( which they can accept at their discretion)

And what on earth are "paternity papers"? Isn't paternity listed on a BC?

For those bringing a minor not your own, please ignore these suggestions to provide "proof of relationship" or "paternity papers". What is needed is the legal, official BC or passport for each child, a BC+ photo ID or passport for adult. Plus the current NCL minor form signed by both parents and accompanied by copies of the parents IDs. If you want to do anything extra, a signed letter stating the kid will be traveling with you, dates, destination and allowing you to assume responsibility for all decisions needed to be made for the child.

How would I have proof of relationship for my nephew's friend who went with us on our cruise?

No no no! You don't need this AT ALL! I have brought my daughter's friend on many, many cruises with us. The OP is confused as to what was needed.

no no no! You don't need this at all! I have brought my daughter's friend on many, many cruises with us. The op is confused as to what was needed.

sorry i didn't make myself clear, i know i don, t need this.

That's what i was saying. I never brought anything other than his bc and ncl form with copies of parents id, which no one ever asked for.

What is needed is the legal, official BC or passport for each child, a BC+ photo ID or passport for adult. Plus the current NCL minor form signed by both parents and accompanied by copies of the parents IDs.

Yep, this is exactly what you need, no more, no less.

I'm assuming you're American. If coming from Canada, everyone needs a passport as well as Canadian government border crossing with a minor forms - these had to be notarized. NCL forms did NOT have to be notarized.