Yukon: best by Train, Bus or a combination of the 2?

Karysa

It is a very easy drive. No need for GPS as there is only the one road so it would be almost impossible to get lost.

Except for a few places along the way, the traffic is light or non-existent.

You can drive for miles on some stretches of road without seeing another car and go as slowly as you wish, so the driver gets to look around at the scenery.

There are only a few places along the way that require the driver's full concentration on the road.

There are lots of pullouts all along the way.

I like to drive slowly and look around at the scenery, so if another car comes up behind me, I just pull over at the next pullout to let it pass and then continue on at my own pace.

As Budget Queen and many others have recommended here on Cruise Critic, I also highly recommend getting Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway to bring along with you. It was the most worthwhile $5 we spent for the cruise.

Just google Murray's Guide.

Murray describes everything to see and do along the way, mile by mile.

It is almost like having Murray right there in the car with you.

Well this sounds simple enough. Thanks. I did come across Murray's Guides website earlier today. I have read that on the train there is an area that has great views that you miss if you drive. Would you agree with this statement?

Well this sounds simple enough. Thanks. I did come across Murray's Guides website earlier today. I have read that on the train there is an area that has great views that you miss if you drive. Would you agree with this statement?
Yes, most certainly. There are views from the train that you don't get from the road and views from the road that you don't get from the train. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

It is very nice if you have the opportunity and budget to do both.

There are sections where the highway and train tracks run parallel and sections where they don't.

When we go with friends who are on their first Alaska cruise, we like to put them on the train at the Skagway train station to ride the train up to Carcross. Then we drive up to Carcross, wait to pick them up at the Carcross station when they get off the train, and we all continue on up to Emerald Lake and back in the car together.

For families on a tight budget who cannot afford the train ride, sharing the cost of a rental car or van is about the most economical way to do it.

Yes, most certainly. There are views from the train that you don't get from the road and views from the road that you don't get from the train. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

It is very nice if you have the opportunity and budget to do both.

There are sections where the highway and train tracks run parallel and sections where they don't.

When we go with friends who are on their first Alaska cruise, we like to put them on the train at the Skagway train station to ride the train up to Carcross. Then we drive up to Carcross, wait to pick them up at the Carcross station when they get off the train, and we all continue on up to Emerald Lake and back in the car together.

For families on a tight budget who cannot afford the train ride, sharing the cost of a rental car or van is about the most economical way to do it.

I don't think that we will return to Alaska for many years and there are only 2 of us so I want to make my decision on the best experience and not what is more economical. I can see the advantage to train up and drive back. We have the opportunity to train up and bus back or drive both ways. Knowing that we will likely not return for years to come what would you suggest we do? BTW thanks, you are very helpful.:)