Torshavn Buses

Anyone used the public buses in Torshavn?

Hi, about 3 years ago, we used the Public bus from Torshavn to go to Vestmanna where we were able to go on the boat trip to see the Vestmanna Cliffs.

It depends of course what time you arrive in Torshavn, what day of the week it is, how long you have in port etc. We found the buses ran on schedule and were reliable and the drivers spoke enough English to tell us where to get off, where to change the bus, etc. The cost of the bus fare and the boat trip was a fraction of the cost of the ships excursion to see the cliffs.

I find using public transport when cruising into ports a bit of a "challenge" and they often run to places that the ships excursions go to, at a fraction of the price, especially in Norway, where they also "respect" seniors and give discounts to them when travelling on public transport.

The only confusing thing in Norway is that in different regions, there are different rules for the age at which a "senior"rate is available, but as we are over 60, we always ask for a senior fare and mostly qualify for that rate. Good luck in organising your travel plans

Anyone used the public buses in Torshavn?

Hi. just found my notes from the cruise we had in August/September 2011 on the Crown Princess which called in at Torshavn on its way from Southampton to New York.

We got up at 6.00am that morning to make sure we had breakfast before going ashore on the tender, as we were due to arrive at Torshavn at 7.15am and the bus to Vestmanna was due to leave at 8.00am. I thought we had plenty of time. Wrong!!!! Although there was only a party of 4 passengers in the lounge ahead of us to get on the first tender off the ship, because of delays in getting clearance from the Faroese Authorities, and by the time they lifted 2 motorised scooters onto the tender and teas and coffees etc, we arrived on the dockside 10 minutes late for the bus.

We sent the boat trip skipper a message on our mobile phone explaining what had happened about the late arrival and he said he would make space for us on the 11.00am trip. We got the 9.05 bus and paid the pensioners rate of 25 Danish Kroner each (about £3/$5) to get to Vestmanna. It was an interesting bus ride, past lots of waterfalls, sheep and tunnels. We paid 275 Kroners (about £32/$50 each) to go on the boat trip. The cost of the ships excursion was $127 each (about £80).

I had taken a couple of seasick prevention tablets thinking the sea was going to be rough when we left the fjord to see the Cliffs, but in hindsight the water was remarkably calm and we were able to go in an out of sea caves along the cliffs. We managed somehow to get first onto the boat and got great seats, upstairs at the front. When we got back we had to wait for 1 ½ hours to get the return bus so we walked into the village and found the bus stop. Not a memorable village, although we did see a row of about half a dozen dead cormorants hanging from a house in the village!!!!!!!!.

The bus came on time and we got back into Torshavn at about 3.30pm, about one hour before the last tender back to the boat.

We are docked in Torshaven from 9 -16.00.

dsrdsrdsr -What bus route did you take?

Hotshot80 good tip on the senior rate. Is there a website where I can get bus routes/schedules?

Hi, it looks as though you may not be docked long enough in Torshavn to be able to "do your own thing" there with regards to seeing the Vestmanna Cliffs, as you are scheduled to leave at 4.00pm, so that may mean that you may have to be back on board by say 3.30pm, so it might be cutting it a bit tight

The timetable to get to and from Vestmanna is at

http://www.ssl.fo/Default.asp?sida=2951

It does look like buses are "free" to ride in Torshavn itself. There was some information and links about this on Tripadvisor at

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190335-i6708-k7237875-Scenic_bus_ride_from_Torshavn-Torshavn_Streymoy.html

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip there

Three of the people on our ship saved money when going to Vestmania by taking a cab there and having the cab stay while the cliffs boat tour was out. The also were able to stop at some place on the way back that the ship tour did not go to. I have no idea how big their cost savings were or whether it would make sense with less than three people.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app