Is this crazy

syr101

What are your thoughts. We are in Maui for 2 days on the Solstice, We are going to rent a car and drive to Pipiwai Trail, hike the trail and take the road to Hana late afternoon into early evening while grabbing a bite on road back to ship on the first day. We like to driver and explore as well as hike and realize it will be a long day. but on day 2 in Maui we were just planning to go to beach near the port and relax. Does this sound like we can accomplish all that on day1.

We've done a one day drive on the Road to Hana and hiked the Pipiwai Trail, and back to our accommodations in W. Maui, all in one day.

I would count on at least 3 hours (assuming that you're starting in Lahaina) to drive to Oheo Gulch (where the Pipiwai Trailhead is) - allow 2 hours for the hike and 3 hours to drive back. So 8 hours in total, plus time for a few other stops along the way. You'll want to be back in Paia or Kahului (i.e. off the Road to Hana) by dark. It gets dark early(sunset is between 6-7 p.m., depending on the time of year) and twilight is very short.

You could have have dinner in Paia and then return to the ship. It's not a problem driving from Paia to Lahaina after dark, as long as you know the route.

What time do you think you can start your drive at that morning?

Are you keeping your car for the second day? If so, I would head up to Kapalua and Napili Bay (about a 15 minute drive north of Lahaina.)

I plan to get off the ship as early as possible and then pick up the car. I hope to get started by 9am. I was thinking about the other route ( i think its rte 37) to the trail and then coming back the road to Hana.

I am keeping the car the 2nd day.