norfolk embarkcation and pre cruise hotel

happysails2U

Have never cruised out of Norfolk before. Want information about the boarding process there. Can anyone suggest a pre cruise hotel that would be easy access/shuttle to the cruise pier? How early do they begin boarding? What is the earliest time I could safely make for return flight home.

Happy:

Crown Princess 1994, Regal 1995,Sky Princess 1995, Sun 1996,Star 1997, Dawn 1998, Grand 1998, Enchantment 1998,Rennaisance 1999, Rhyndam 2000, Vision of the Sea 2000,Grandeur 2001, Radiance 2001, Century 2001, Galaxy 2001, Golden Princess 2002, Summit 2002, summit 2003, Zuederdam 2003, Grandeur 2003

I haven't sailed out of Norfolk yet but will this fall. If you are driving in, the Radisson has special rates for cruise & Park. For $134 you get free parking, overnight stay, baggage handling, free breakfast & shuttle to the pier. It costs $100 for parking for 10-days at the pier parking anyhow so the price seems pretty good.

I booked this based on recommendations from others on this board.

I've heard others who didn't drive use the Mariott and said it was very nice.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

We stayed at the Mariott Waterside. We actually walked across the street to the pier and checked our luggage. It was very nice, very easy. We found embarkation (and disembarkation) in Norfolk to be the most efficient of any port we've sailed from.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'll be happy to try and help. We were on the Maasdam, Eastern Caribbean this past April.

Noordam 1984

Veendam 1999

Amsterdam 2000

Noordam 2001

Statendam 2001

Noordam 2002

Zuiderdam 2003

Maasdam 2004.

Noordam 2004

The Sheraden Waterside is also nearby and may offer a parking package...

there are also several other hotels in the downtown area but be sure to check on their specific offerings as parking is at a premium in many areas of downtown.

As far as embarcation, the ships are using the Nauticus museum facilities until norfolk completes its cruise terminal in 2006-2007. You can swing by and drop your bags with porters in front of the facility and then take your car to the parking - shuttling back from there. This may prove more convenient than carrying the bags on the shuttle (or maybe not - check the specifics for your accomodations once you arrive).

Looks like boarding is available around noon for the 5 PM sailings and, since the change in itinerary, the ship is getting in around its scheduled 8 AM time. I am booked on the 30 Nov cruise so cannot speak to how fast debarcation is but I'm sure others will be glad to provide you that information

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Maasdam 11/30/04

Thanks for the replies so far. I willl be flying in, not driving. Will that make a difference as to where I stay? Hopefully, shuttles from airport to hotel , and to the pier tha next morning. I welcome all advice.

Happy

Happy:

Crown Princess 1994, Regal 1995,Sky Princess 1995, Sun 1996,Star 1997, Dawn 1998, Grand 1998, Enchantment 1998,Rennaisance 1999, Rhyndam 2000, Vision of the Sea 2000,Grandeur 2001, Radiance 2001, Century 2001, Galaxy 2001, Golden Princess 2002, Summit 2002, summit 2003, Zuederdam 2003, Grandeur 2003

happysails,

The Waterside hotels are in downtown Norfolk, not far at all from the Nauticus pier. I'm not sure about the Radison, but from the above post they'll obviously get you to the pier. Figure about a 15-20 minute ride from the airport to downtown Norfolk. And if you fly in during the week you may want to avoid rush hour to make the trip to Norfolk a little easier. I live in the area, so I don't know about airport shuttles, but if you contact the hotels they can give you that info.

BTW, which cruise are you looking at. We'll be on the 10/30 eastern Caribbean.

As NorfolkSailor said the ship has been returning on time since the itinerary change. But I never suggest any flights too early because of Murphy's law. My son and DIL's disembarkation was delayed for 3 hours due to some bonehead trying to bring in drugs he bought in Jamaica.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

If I was flying in and didn't need parking, I have to admit I like to use priceline. I went out and checked what people are obtaining from their bids..

$65 for the Sheraton Waterside Norfolk 3* June

$70 for the Radisson Downtown Norfolk 3* June

$45 for the Sheraton Norfolk DT 3* 6/11

You can check more here biddingfortravel

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

The entrance to Nauticus is a single lane half circle. During peak boarding time, traffic backup is fierce. The Sheraton Waterside is too far to walk with luggage (ok without). We had to abandon our taxi about three rather long blocks away and wheel our luggage the remaining distance. I don't know how early HAL starts accepting luggage. If possible, it would be wise to cab it from your hotel early, ten or ten thirty, just to turn in your bags. You can return later via shanks mare.

Strongly suggest restricting your stay to Marriott or Sheraton Waterside. Check customer reviews for the others and you'll see why.

1957-USS General A.E. Anderson, Tokyo to San Francisco; 1999-Norwegian Sea, W. Carib; 1999-RVI, Europe; 2000-Mercury, W. Carib; 2000-Volendam, S. Carib; 2001-Viking Star, Danube River; 2001-Veendam, E. Carib; 2002 B2B- Veendam, Alaska; 2003 B2B-Zuiderdam, W/E Carib; Mar 2004-Maasdam, E Carib; 26 Nov 2005 Veendam, S Carib

Well, after Stevesan's comment on the Radisson, I did a bit of investigation. From the comments I've read it's been a mix for the Mariott, Sheraton and Radisson.

That being said.. for the Oct 30th Maasdam sailing, I made a few phone calls.

Mariott Waterfront - websites show unavailable. I called the 1-800 # inquiring about cruise & stay packages with parking. Was told there may be one for $179. When I called the hotel (2 times - once last night but they forwarded me to 1-800# & once this am), I was told there is no package and parking is $14.00 per day. Don't bother trying to call them on availability because they were plain rude and put me on hold for 5 mins never to return. I've written this off as a option.

Mariott Courtyard - 3 1/2 blocks away. They offer parking/stay/cruise package for $249. No shuttle service to pier but taxi is about $10.00.

Sheraton - No package. Parking $11.00 per day. 2 blocks from pier. AAA rate $124 (there may be better rates).

Radisson - 3 blocks from the pier. I called about parking - no garage but lot is gated and secure. I questioned location of the hotel (read once about it's locale) and was assured it was a safe place that accomidates many business travelers. Shuttle to the pier starts at 11:30am. $134 park/stay/cruise.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Maureen,

I'll throw in one more bit of confusion to the mix. The Virginia Beach oceanfront is about 1/2 hour away from the pier. At that time of year you can get a nice room right on the ocean fairly inexpensively. Then drive that morning to the pier. I think HAL's parking is $10.00 per day. Weather that time of year is hit or miss. Can be downright nasty or 80 degrees.

I don't know when you plan on arriving. If it's the night before then this wouldn't make much sense. But if you'll be here for a day or so it might be an option to consider.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Marc

Thanks for the suggestion on Virigina Beach. If we were planning an extended stay it would be a good option but we are only doing an over nighter.

I hope when they build their new cruise terminal they have convienent onsite parking. It was really nice in New Orleans to park and walk right up to the pier checkin. It was more per day ($12) but well worth it for its locale.

Since we have to shuttle from the cruise parking anyhow, I may as well shuttle from the hotel. This way if the ship is late getting in, we can go there at our leisure.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

iluvcruzin,

Knowing the location and from what I remember of the site plan I don't think that parking is part of the new terminal. There just isn't the room. You may want to check out this link to see the site plan.

Norfolk cruise terminal site plan

It's the rectangular building just below and to the left of Nauticus (maritime museum). The treed area below and slightly to the right is Towne Point Park. There's no way that they would (or should) pave that over to make a parking garage. They'll just continue to use the garages in the neighborhood. The gray ship is the battleship Wisconsin. You can tour the deck, but you can't go inside because it's still a commissioned ship. But at least it's free. The light blue ship is the Maasdam (yea!).

I'm just hoping that the cruise lines stay, and expand, here. It will be so much more convenient, and less expensive, being able to hop in a cab for a 20 minute ride to the pier.

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iluvcruzin:

Radisson - 3 blocks from the pier. I called about parking - no garage but lot is gated and secure. I questioned location of the hotel (read once about it's locale) and was assured it was a safe place that accomidates many business travelers. Shuttle to the pier starts at 11:30am. $134 park/stay/cruise.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Radisson may be 3 blocks (although I'd say it's more like 8) but they are VERY long ones. You will not want to walk from their facility to the pier. Since they have a park and ride deal, you should do very well to use it if you are only there for a night.

The Marriott Courtyard is very new and may be the best one-night stay in the near vicinity. Since they don't shuttle and since the cost of the park-n-cruise is rather high, those with cars may be best served to simply book the one night and use the city lot (see the link in my earlier post) since it includes shuttle service to and from the pier

For happysails2U, MHO is to go for the best deal at any of these hotels and take into account the cost of a taxi (easy to get) for those that do not have shuttle service. (As noted, the Marriott Waterside is walking distance - even with luggage on rollers - so long as you do not have any physical restrictions). Check with the hotels for complimentary shuttle service from the airport.

Another alternative is to stay at the Hilton or Holiday Inn Select on Military Hwy (both at the airport). They are likely to have airport shuttle service and a taxi from there will be ~$15.00 to downtown and take no more than 30-40 minutes. The drawback to these properties is they are not in a "walking" area so you will be somewhat limited in your choices for food and entertainment unless you take a taxi. The downtown Norfolk hotels are all within walking distance of many retaurants and attractions...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Maasdam 11/30/04

If I decide to use Priceline, what area do I check that has these particular hotels?

Happy:

happysails2U,

You'd want to check the downtown Norfolk section. If you expand that section you'll see a green area marked Town Point Park. The cruise dock is just to the left of that on the map.

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

Archived