question about mini-suite on Grand Princess

LinInTx

We are looking over the information on the Grand Princess (out of Galveston) and are wondering about the size of the mini-suites. Are they large enough to accomadate a family of 4 (kids 10&16) while allowing some kind of privacy in the sleeping arrangement of the room? It appears the minis have separate living/sleeping areas. Would we be better off to book two balcony rooms or maybe two ocean view rooms? Thanks!

There's no curtain or anything separating the sitting area from the sleeping area on the Grand-class minisuites (there is on the Sun-class minis, though--they're laid out very differently). If you look at the cabin layout on the Princess website, you can see there are two cabinets with a walkway in between connecting the two parts of the room--the walkway is about 4 feet wide (I'm bad with measurements, but that's about my best guess from my memory of our cabin) and one of the cabinets doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling, so really you can see out the balcony door from the bed.

If privacy is your big concern, then getting two rooms is probably a good idea. A lot of families book one balcony cabin and one inside cabin across the hall from the balcony cabin.

I would definitely book two cabins.

There's no privacy in the mini-suites on the Grand and they are not suites. It's simply a larger cabin than the regular rooms with a balcony. It's nice and we enjoy them, but to call them a suite is a lie.

Also realize that by sharing, you'll have 4 people fighting for the bathroom. I recommend 2 cabins. If you can afford 2 with balconies, that's great, if not, take an inside across the hall for the kids.

I agree with the other posters - definitely get two cabins....Get a interior room across the hall for the kiddies....You will have to have one adult registered in each room since they don't allow children under 18 book a room without an adult....but boy is it worth it.

My husband and I went through the same issue with our two children (that are 10 years apart) and decided that it was better to put them in an interior room and we get the mini suite....this way we had a larger room for all 4 of us to enjoy when we wanted to be together. Especially since the mini's have a sofa and chair.....A regular balcony room has no real place to sit. And the mini's have 4 chairs and a small table on either balcony.

Plus the kids never really sat on the balcony anyway so it would of been a waste of money....and more opportunity for them to have gotten into trouble making noise, etc....

Hope this helps.

Janine

Archived