Liquor delivery?

qe2

Yes they deliver and it's the only way you get the duty-free price.

Are the prices good in GC? If so, where? We always buy some for Christmas gifts, but we want to get good prices like we can in St Thomas and St Martin. I've read that GC is not a cheap port, so if there's a good place to buy it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, I didn't check the liquor prices in GC,we bought ours in St.Thomas. We enjoyed Grand Cayman,but it is very expensive(lunch for 3+5 beers $110.) The rum cakes we got there are worth the price.

Ed

You have to have the liquor delivered to the ship--can't bring it onboard yourself--it's not an option.

We learned the hard way and couldn't get liquor on our cruise to the Caymans. The liquor stores all have posted "cut off" times where they stop taking orders for liquor to be delivered to the ships---we wanted to get some Big Black Dicks rum and unfortunately arrived after the "last call for alcohol"---tried conjoling the store clerk but he was adamant that he could make no exceptions. So be aware that you can't wait until the last minute to buy alcohol.

Are the prices good in GC? If so, where? We always buy some for Christmas gifts, but we want to get good prices like we can in St Thomas and St Martin...

St. Maarten has the cheapest prices, but St. Thomas has a larger selection.

Thanks, It sounds just like Bermuda. They call it "in bond" and you can't touch it until after you leave the island.

Now my question is, what time is cut off time? I usually travel with my husband and we just hit the liquor store first and then do our sightseeing. This time, I'm traveling with my grandson, so snorkeling with the stingrays is the priority. We will be doing that first thing in the morning. Am I likely to meet the "cut off" time? My ship sails at 5:30. I imagine that that makes a difference.

I'm new at this. Is it ok to post a question within a question???? My daughter wants us to bring her back flavored rum. Is Jamaca the best place for this??? And do you also have to have it delivered to the ship from Jamaca??? Any hints will be greatly appreciated. We are also going to Georgetown and Cozumel.

PS I've been reading these for days and I'm addicted!!!:D

In Jamaica, you do not have to have it delivered to the ship. You can purchase it and carry it onboard. The ship may, however, take it from you and deliver it to your cabin at the end of the cruise.

We bought a bottle of rum cream liquor along with a couple bottles of flavored syrups for the kids sodas at the Tortuga Rum shop & it was boxed & given to us to bring on our ship. It was not taken when we boarded. This was last December onboard the Voyager. Maybe it was a mistake...?

We bought a bottle of rum cream liquor along with a couple bottles of flavored syrups for the kids sodas at the Tortuga Rum shop & it was boxed & given to us to bring on our ship. It was not taken when we boarded. This was last December onboard the Voyager. Maybe it was a mistake...?

Same thing for us at Cozumel (with 2 days left). They had just opened a second gangplank, and I don't think they were totally ready to intercept the booze carriers (like me), and we slipped in untouched.

We ended up purchasing our Tortuga rum in Jamaica--there is a liquor store in the shopping plaza near Margaritaville---they have all different flavors--banana, pineapple, mango, etc--prices here were good at the time we were there. They also sold Appleton Rum, which is made in Jamaica--took some small bottles back with us for gifts.

Grand Cayman has a novelty rum called Big Black Dicks Rum--we wanted to get it but missed the cutoff time. From what I've read on the boards here, the rum isn't the greatest--people purchase it more for the novelty bottle. You can also buy all of the Tortuga rums in Grand Cayman---there are actually Tortuga stores that sell rum and all of the different flavored rum cakes---make sure you stop in one to sample all the rum cakes.

When we were boarding in Jamaica, I had put the bottles of rum in the bottom of my beach bag wrapped in towels---not to smuggle it onboard but just to make it easier to lug around the marketplace. They did not confiscate our rum---but they did take the liquor from the people behind us who had it in a carrying box.

Benjidog,

Get yourself a small notebook (spiral?)-one with a pocket w/be good. Make a section for each port. As you find tidbits of information, just jot down in your book. Names of tours, restaurants, etc. I even write down web addresses. Before your cruise, go back through w/a highlighter and mark the places, things that really stand out and you want to try to accomplish (say...eating your weight in rum cakes! :p ). As you book your excursions, you can print out your confirmations and carry them in your notebook with you on your cruise! Then, you can also use your notebook to make notes while in port of places you've been, etc. to share with people back on home! Great resource to share with someone before they go on a trip!

• 2 months later...

I think there are two separate issues here. One is how the liquor you purchase in Grand Cayman (or any other port) is handled, and the second issue is whether you can take liquor onto the ship and drink it on the ship.

If the liquor you buy is "duty free" you can not take it with you and you can not drink it on the ship. It will be delivered to the ship and you will not see it until the night before your cruise is over. There is no option.

If they hand you the liquor and you take it with you, it's not duty free so there are no restrictions. HOWEVER, if you are taking it with you, then your ship might have rules about bringing liquor on board that have nothing to do with whether or not it is duty free. The last two cruises I was on would only allow wine to be brought on board, so my understanding was that if you bought liquor in port (other than wine) that would be taken from you at the gangplank and returned to you just before the end of the cruise. Some ships might not care or might just let it go. However, if you have purchased actual "duty free" liquor it will definitely be delivered and off limits to you until the end.

Charlene

Archived