excursion info please

Hi going on the Dream in Nov ports of call Porto,Lisbon,Cadiz,Tangiers,Gibralta,Does anyone know which of these ports are near enough and easy to do yourself and which ones are best taking a organised trip? Also if you have any info at all on these ports i will be very grateful,

Many thanks

Hi going on the Dream in Nov ports of call Porto,Lisbon,Cadiz,Tangiers,Gibralta,Does anyone know which of these ports are near enough and easy to do yourself and which ones are best taking a organised trip? Also if you have any info at all on these ports i will be very grateful,

Many thanks

Gibraltar you can walk from the dock to the centre and to the cable car and DiY up to the Rock and see the apes. There are also local taxi/tour firms with minibuses who will take you on tours of the Rock (there's quite a bit to seeon the top) with entry to the tunnels etc at prices which are cheaper than the ship's excursions. Easy enough to go independently here. We also caught a local bus to Europa Point on one occasion but if you haven't been before going up the Rock is the thing to do.

Lisbon again you can get into the city and DiY no problem. The berths are in a number of different places in Lisbon, some nearer the centre, others nearer an area called Belem which is interesting but I think there are always shuttle buses available to get into the centre if you aren't within easy walking distance (might be payable though).

Cadiz is a lovely city. Again easy walk-off. You are berthed in the old part of the city which is the place to be. It's on a kind of promontary with a promenade all the way round, lovely sandy beach, nice gardens and in the centre the old buildings, cathedral and shops. I would just explore.

Sorry can't help with Porto or Tangiers - but the latter might be the one to go on an organised trip :rolleyes: but I'm sure someone will be able to advise you about that.

Enjoy your planning! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Gibraltar is quite easy to do yourself.

I went on the Thomson trip in Tangiers which included Cap Spartel - where the Med meets the Atlantic, the Kasbah and a few other stops. It was all quite spread out, hopping on an off the bus with a bit of walking and busy. It was my first stop in Morocco & not a place I'd have felt confident doing on my own, so I thought this was a worthwhile trip. I never considered DIY so I'm not sure how easy it would be.

Many thanks

Gibraltar we did the rock tour with the local taxi/tour company,think it was either £20/£25 per person,excellent and value for money

We have done the HoHo bus in Lisbon and Cadiz - recommended, especially Lisbon where there are two (coloured) routes that interconnect at central locations.

You can book ahead online and handed over the pre-printed eTicket to the coach driver.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/portugal/lisbon.htm

You can print off maps from the above website.

One tip - take your own headphones, the ones supplied are basic, and hurt the ears !!!

Gibraltar is a dawddle - take one of the minibus/people carrier taxi tours when you walk off the ship - they do the tour and drop you off in a central location for shopping afterwards.

Tangiers is about the worst port of call we've had to endure (words chosen carefully) on a cruise. If you go DIY you will be pestered constantly - not sure if the organised tours are worthwhile.

If we are ever there again we'll stay onboard.

We have done the HoHo bus in Lisbon and Cadiz - recommended, especially Lisbon where there are two (coloured) routes that interconnect at central locations.

You can book ahead online and handed over the pre-printed eTicket to the coach driver.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/portugal/lisbon.htm

You can print off maps from the above website.

Just a heads up, you can get a 20% discount on any HOHO tour that city sightseeing.com run throughout the world (they operate on six continents) by using the code MATALAN20

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/city-sightseeing-tours.htm

Just a heads up, you can get a 20% discount on any HOHO tour that city sightseeing.com run throughout the world (they operate on six continents) by using the code MATALAN20

Thanks for that link, Two sheds. I notice that in Palma, Majorca, the price for over 60's is half that of Adult price. Take some age ID. :)

Edited by Jakanne1

Hi Lolmerry.

Hopefully you will have seen my post from a couple of months back that has just been bumped up....

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034629

You can work out which berth you will dock at in Lisbon from the timetable that is on the port authorities website, although I think Thomson usually end up at jardim do Tobacco which is very close to the Apolonia train/metro station.

This is what we did first time in Lisbon, I can recommend Belem, it's a nice place. If you are DIY there, then the day pass is a bargain, all buses, trams, metros and elevators are included in the price.

Got €6.50 day transport pass from lottery kiosk at Apolonia Station, just behind main ticket counter. Metro to main Comercio square, tram 15E to Belem, had a nice walk around all along the front and had the Pasteis (yummy) from the famous cafe. Tram back to Figurera square and did the Santa Justa elevator which is included in transport pass. Got tram 12 around the Alfama past the Castle, walked back to ship.

Cadiz is lovely.... very walkable and loads to see.

It's great if you like Churches, some are really nice inside. We didn't do the Cathedral (€5 each) but the small Church in the same square is gorgeous inside, don't miss it. We also found the Holy Cave Church (€3 each) which has some Goya paintings inside, it's small but we thought it was well worth the entrance fee.

It's on a street called Rosario, and you would not think it was a Church from the outside. It's worth tracking down though, it took us ages to find it.

http://www.cadizturismo.com/media/pu...pdf/4walkl.pdf

This map gives some good walks, but it's easy just to do your own thing with the map.

HTH

Joe.

Thanks for the HoHo discount tip twosheds :D

I have just found a website called shorebee.com that is really useful for port info and tips and you can also look up info about trips from the ports and print out your own personalised cruise guide for free.

Edited by Minitigra driver
wrong name

Thanks for the HoHo discount tip twosheds :D

I have just found a website called shorebee.com that is really useful for port info and tips and you can also look up info about trips from the ports and print out your own personalised cruise guide for free.

Two great links - thanks both! :)

Also great info on Lisbon, joe. Another to add to the 'useful' info file! ;)