Traveling with oxygen

k1cobra

I will be traveling in September and my wife needs oxygen 24/7, that means I will need to bring 12, 4 hour tanks and a poc for night. Does anyone have a best practices type way of handling this load. Is there an easier way? best Poc out there. we're taking royal caribbean enchantment of the seas.

I also responded to you at the RCI forum concerning this.

If you are flying to the cruise, forget about bringing your own O2 bottles on board an aircraft. Please read this, and there is other information available if you search for it:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/supplemental-oxygen-on-commercial-airlines-beyond-the-basics

Perhaps the airline can provide certified O2 bottles for use.

Indeed, an FAA certified O2 concentrator will be allowed on the plane, and if you need bottles on the ship, these would need to be rented at port. Obviously, contact your cruise line for more information.

I cannot stress enough how dangerous O2 bottles can be on a plane and in general, despite their benefits to health.

Do not pack O2 bottles in your check in luggage as they will be found and taken out. A single O2 bottle can take down a plane!

This comes from an aviator of 40 years who has dealt with O2 systems. O2 can be VERY dangerous.

Edited by loubetti

Ah!!!

You never said that!!!

However, it didn't hurt for me to mention it for others. ;)

Then, I would just check with the cruise line for best method and pack the bottles up and, of course, the concentrator.

As to the portable concentrator, they ain't cheap, definitely in the 4-figures (maybe $2000-ish). Also, you CAN RENT THEM, maybe a $200-300 per week. What's the best model, sadly I am not your answer man for that. Fortunately you have time to sort this out.

Check this page:

http://www.liberty-o2.com/

Best wishes! :)

Edited by loubetti