New ship to Aust

They spent US$25 million on the latest refit so I think most of the old stuff on board will have gone.

As for Classic Int'l, they only got into trouble when the old greek magnate who had been involved in shipping all his life died and the company was taken over by his two playboy sons who apparently had little experience and because of this all the banks who had trust in the old guy, balked at supporting the sons and thus the company foundered.

Apparently the chap who owns Portuscale has good experience, plenty of money and a real love of old ships so that should give this venture a chance. But to be on the safe side I've already checked that my annual travel insurance policy does cover them going down.

I'd be wary too. These 'start up' small cruise companies rarely come to fruition. There were a couple of duds back in the 80s where people lost their deposits. The biggest one was the company that was going to convert a car ferry into a cruise ship....I cant remember its name now.

Of course, if this company has the backing and capital behind it, it may be a goer. And I hope they do - the more ships for us, the better!

I had requested a copy of their brochure which has now arrived in the mail. It's just a hard copy of the .pdf that they have posted online.

We are still seriously looking at booking, but we are waiting to talk to my partner's family to see if they would be interested in joining us.

Now here's the funny side of things. Just been looking at their .au website only to find that they have quoted one of my posts (#5) from this thread on their website. Wow! I'm famous... :rolleyes:

Here's the link to their "News" page on the web site.

http://www.portuscalecruises.com.au/news.html

Wonder if they will give us an upgrade when we book??? The owners cabin would be nice...:)

At least we know they are watching the CC site closely.

May be we should be posting questions for them to update us on. eg. do they do formal nights or can I leave the suit at home?

Let's see what develops.

I had requested a copy of their brochure which has now arrived in the mail. It's just a hard copy of the .pdf that they have posted online.

We are still seriously looking at booking, but we are waiting to talk to my partner's family to see if they would be interested in joining us.

Now here's the funny side of things. Just been looking at their .au website only to find that they have quoted one of my posts (#5) from this thread on their website. Wow! I'm famous... :rolleyes:

Here's the link to their "News" page on the web site.

http://www.portuscalecruises.com.au/news.html

Wonder if they will give us an upgrade when we book??? The owners cabin would be nice...:)

At least we know they are watching the CC site closely.

May be we should be posting questions for them to update us on. eg. do they do formal nights or can I leave the suit at home?

Let's see what develops.

Can I have your autograph :p

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be wary too. These 'start up' small cruise companies rarely come to fruition. There were a couple of duds back in the 80s where people lost their deposits. The biggest one was the company that was going to convert a car ferry into a cruise ship....I cant remember its name now.

!

You just make sure your travel insurance covers principals collapse. Most policies these days have limited cover of up to about $5000 loss so I know if this cruise doesn't eventuate I am fully protected as the cost is less than that.