Tips for Jet Lag

jkw2765

If I know we are arriving before normal check in times, I always write to the hotel and ask if it is possible to have an early check in, they´ve always been very helpful. Occasionally they suggest to book a room for the day before to guarantee a room will be available when you arrive. In any case they will always store your luggage for you and you can change into something more comfy and fresh in the airport bathrooms. By the time you clear immgration ansd customs at Sydney, then transfer to the hotel, that will atke up a few hours.

Enjoy Sydney...it´s really worth the jet lag

Sandy in Spain

We will be flying to Sydney for B2B cruises totaling 27 nights in November. What do you find helps best with conquering jet lag? Any tips are appreciated! Thanks in advance!;)

Like others have said. Don´t sleep on your FL to LAX flight. Stay awake until at least 3:00 AM LAX time. Don't drink any caffeine or drink any alcohol on the LAX flight.

Do Drink water on BOTH flights. Don't eat any food that will give you gas or that are "heavy" foods. (fried are no nos!) Eat as light as you can on both flights and in the airport.

We always take melatonin on a long flight to help us relax and sleep. (Available over the counter in the US) It is what airline pilots use to get on the "new" time zone. We also stay up as late as we can the first night in the new time zone to get our bodies on that time zone. We take another melatonin that night and we have always awakened refreshed and renewed EVEN when we have traveled half-way around the world! :)

We always take melatonin on a long flight to help us relax and sleep. (Available over the counter in the US) It is what airline pilots use to get on the "new" time zone. We also stay up as late as we can the first night in the new time zone to get our bodies on that time zone. We take another melatonin that night and we have always awakened refreshed and renewed EVEN when we have traveled half-way around the world! :)

At what point in the flight do you take the melatonin? Do you have a resource that will help? Thanks

I agree with the other posters, I have more trouble flying from west to east, and not much trouble flying from East to West, when it comes to the jet lag. I have flown from the mid west to Australia and some other Asian destinations and have usually had little trouble adjusting to the time difference. The trip back is where I ran into problems with the jet lag and adjusting to the time zone differences.

I recall one trip back from Bangkok that had an eight hour layover at Narita, and then another 3 hour layover at LAX. By the time I got back home the total flight time was almost 24 hours long. It took me three days to get the sleeping schedule back in order again.

Wow, thanks for all the tips! Sounds like a bunch of good ideas! Originally, i was worried about traveling there, now i am worried about coming home. I will only have 2 days to recover and than back to the grind! :eek:

At what point in the flight do you take the melatonin? Do you have a resource that will help? Thanks

I would take it about an hour after supper or some time after midnight LAX time or west Coast time (If supper is earlier than that.) It will help your natural serotonin so that you can sleep. I have never had any trouble "waking up" after taking it. :) Hope it helps you. It was our Doctor that recommended it to us for traveling.