Oosterdam June 29 Jewish service

cruiseesl

Hi

I've called and written to various HAL offices regarding a Shabbat service for Friday evening, July 4. The responses have varied from none, to bewildered, to referrals to other offices which got me nowhere. Does anyone have experience in how this gets organized?

In our experience, HAL provides a public room where a passenger-led service can be held. They may do so based on interest, so go to the main desk at the beginning of your cruise to let them know.

I have been to Jewish services on board (though not Jewish myself) that were simple but lovely. HAL can provide whatever you will need but it is a passenger led service and you must take some initiative. They will print it in the Daily Program. m--

In our experience, HAL provides a public room where a passenger-led service can be held. They may do so based on interest, so go to the main desk at the beginning of your cruise to let them know.

That was also our experience. The lack of knowledge you found when you called HAL you will also sometimes encounter on-board, so I also suggest that you confirm with the main desk that they will include info re services in the daily program.

HAL only provides a Rabbi on the High Holidays and for Passover seders. Otherwise the service is led by congregants. HAL provides reform prayer books. HAL does provide wine, challah, gefilte fish, and sponge cake and candlesticks with candles. However HAL does not provide matches or a lighter for the candles. Thus we had to go searching in port for matches for shabbos candle lighting. This is one item you would need to bring.

Yours, Naomi2

I have functioned as Chaplain on the HAL ships and there is always a Jewish service at 5:00 on Friday evening. I usually have Mass at the same time and so I cannot go but I always see it listed in the program.

I will be on the Oosterdam in a few weeks and so I will take note.

Edited by Himself

HAL goes out of the way to make a Shabbat service, which will be passenger led. They provide wine, challah, and snacks for a Kiddush, kippahs and prayer books (I think Sim Shalom- but am not sure) If you want anything special- just ask. The only downer is that there are no Shabbat candles (fire hazard). If this is important to you- your best bet is to bring battery operated candles. If you feel at all confident to lead the service, pick up a book before hand and have a short service planned out beforehand. I have had the misfortune of encountering some cantor or Rabbi wannabes that have gone on and on and on!